Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I built some pillars for a driveway entrance and I'm looking to add a topper. I'm limited on funds so I may end up not doing anything. Pic is a little rough but they are gray in color and have concrete like texture. Was thinking adding a couple hanging props to the top? I like the archway as fog shoots out of it.

Ideas? Something that would pair well with the archway, but then again nothing may be even needed. I do want to add lights to the front this year.

Attachments

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,643 Posts
They look great and really don't even need any kind of topper, however if you want to go simple, traditional and inexpensive, a big carved jack o lantern on each one would be pretty nice IMO.

Reactions: Frankie's Girl

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,507 Posts
Agree with Jdubbya - they look lovely as is.

And big pumpkins would be super, but traditional is some gargoyles or flickering "flame" lights (see attached image for the kind I mean)

Gargoyles that are large enough to look good with your columns might be difficult to find for cheap tho if you don't think you could make them (which would be fun for me, but I get that it might not be for you). I have a small one about a foot high I got years ago at Walgreens for cheap, but Target has had some great ones in the last several years (not seeing any really on their site, but they do have some lovely stone-look vultures).

OH! I just realized something that might be the right scale and you might luck into finding two of... blow molds! I have a giant pumpkin and a giant skull that are both at least 2 foot wide/tall I picked up cheaply and if you haunt (ha) craigslist, yard sales or offerup you may find some that would look wicked cool.

Attachments

·
Technological Terror
724 Posts
I just love the look of green light on cemetery columns for some reason. I have to agree, the columns look nice as is. Since you already have the archway spanning and that is probably centered on the top. Why don't you consider some wall sconces/lights on the front facing side of the columns near the top? That's what I have on my columns and I used the large flicker bulbs in them that you can get at Hobby Lobby.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the positive feedback! I do want to try and add some lights, depends on time. I'd love something that looks rusty like the sections on the pillars already, still new to this whole painting things to look like something they are not.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts