Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im going to be taveling every halloween to see how other places in the world celebrate. I was wondering if anybody here knows some of the best places in the world to celebrate macabre holidays such as Halloween or Day of the dead.
If money were no object, where would you go and why or what is there?

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,448 Posts
I've been to:

Salem, MA
Wonderful town, and they do it up BIG for Halloween! You'll need to book your hotel months in advance, tho. ;) I've been in the off season as I LOVE history and it's just an amazing place.

New Orleans, LA
Not just about Mardi Gras - they do a huge party, parades, concerts, people walking about in costumes... and of course they have [email protected] cemetary/voodoo tours and such.

Both places are tops as far as I'm concerned. :D

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
If you ever find yourself in spooky old Wiltshire in England, you will find the doors are always open here at Samedi Manor. (mainly because they have rotted off the hinges)...:)

·
Registered
20,824 Posts
I'd love to go to Transylvania and England, since I'm really into Gothic horror and architecture; Salem, MA; and Hawaii, for a totally different cultural experience.

·
AntiChrist Superstar
1,418 Posts
I go to the New York Halloween Parade, here are some facts :

FACT SHEET 2009

Now in its 36th year, New York's Village Halloween Parade is...

The nation's largest public Halloween celebration
Named as The Greatest Event on Earth by Festivals International for October 31
Attended by over 2 million people, seen by over 1 million on TV
The nation's only major night Parade
Seen LIVE on NY 1 Television
Listed as one of the 100 Things to do Before You Die

Its like a Halloween Mardi Gras, I never miss it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interesting, didnt think about NY.
Off topic: (If you like gothic architecture you should check out the Kostnice Ossuary in Prague. Its made up of human bones. Check out the chandelier.)
I heard Salem is better in the off season, but I def want to go there.
New Orleans is another celebration I want to see for sure. Draculas castle would be a great spot to visit as well.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WOW just took a look at the Keene Pumpkin fest! Its insane!!
Thats goin on my list for sure.

·
Registered
20,824 Posts
Off topic: (If you like gothic architecture you should check out the Kostnice Ossuary in Prague. Its made up of human bones. Check out the chandelier.
When you mentioned it being made of human bones, including a chandelier, I expected that to be the catacombs shown on a Travel Channel 'Weirdest Destinations' episode. This is something totally different, and very cool, too; thanks for sharing, Nev.

·
Registered
212 Posts
There must be 25 different haunted attractions all within an hour or two of Cleveland, including Cedar Point's Halloweekends, Akron's Haunted Schoolhouse and Laboratory, and The 7 floors of hell, the latter two have ranked on haunt world's top 10. Also there's the Mansfield Reformatory- creepy old prison where they filmed Shawshank Redemption. Not only do they run a haunt but do ghost tours in the off season, where you can stay all night, explore, watch movies, and eat pizza.

It's about the only reason to go to Cleveland though. If you're into haunted houses this would a place to visit, but bring your pocketbook, it seems like it's at least $15 or 20 to get into one anymore.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
oh yeah Universal is suppose to be great!
I heard that Hollywood does a great Day of the Dead in the Forever cemetery.

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
Depending on your age, any College Town would be a great spot to spend Halloween. My son attended U of Hawaii - Hilo Campus. They always had a blast.

But if money was no object, Transylvania, most definitely.

·
Insane Genius
1,251 Posts
There is nowhere outside of the USA where its worth going travelling to 'celebrate' Halloween... especially if you live in the USA.

There appears to be a conception that Halloween is some kind of olde world tradition with deep historical and cultural roots, well this is very wrong.. well the cultural bit is, however, there is a lot of history and very little of it is what people think it is or based in fact.

Halloween is pretty much a festival concieved and developed in the US, it nods in the direction of history, but its modern form is purely American.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Very true, Phoenix_UK. There is very little primary documentation of masking or costuming on Hallowe'en before about 1900; and when it did arise, it was pretty much a North American invention. The carved vegetable lantern is an old tradition in Britain and Ireland, but making them from pumpkins, calling them jack-o'-lanterns, and associating them with Hallowe'en are also North American inventions.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts