Halloween Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Typical Ghoul Next Door
Discussion Starter #1
We are doing a party this year in addition to decorating as usual, but changed themes completely - usually do a typical spooky graveyard, but I fell hard for the carnival/circus theme and that meant starting almost from scratch on all decorations.

I am the only one that builds and works on things. Mostly because I have everything figured out in my head but no actual plans to follow (and some things are hard to explain). Husband will help out when asked, but he works like 12 hours a day right now so don't want to drag him into prop building as soon as he gets home, which means I get him only on the weekends.

So I have a to do list from hell, working on things with all of my free time, ending up with lots of new aches and pains, and starting to think that maybe I have overestimated my abilities to "do it all" just a smidge. :D

Anyone else feeling a time crunch at this point?

Caretaker of Eerie Manor
We're in the same boat, literally! Totally changed themes this year, also to a circus/carnival theme. The front yard graveyard will be replaced with a three-attraction arcade of sorts so we have to build facades and props for those. The 12x24 haunt structure was re-worked with new scares and will get a new coat of paint in and out to go with the theme. We have to come up with different props/lighting/masks and costumes for our twelve actors. I think we're on top of it but everytime I look at that damn countdown clock I get a queasy feeling! LOL! We also host an after glow party at our house on Halloween night where friends and neighbors stop by for a snack/drink and just visit for a while. Everyone brings a dish and it's a lot of fun but after a week of setting up, two hours of steady haunting and all the stress of the entire month getting ready, you're pretty much exhausted. I'm very fortunate to have another haunter (lewlew) working with me again this year. Makes things go so much smoother and it's a lot of fun with someone who shares the enthusiasm.

Reactions: printersdevil

Halloween Elitist
Yeah, I'm feeling it too, used to be in years past that whatever I had in mind, I would stay on task and work on it early but these past couple of years I've been wishy washy, undecided, get mental blocks procrastinate, and to top it off, I've started selling stuff on ebay, not my halloween stuff, just random stuff so that is taking time away from my planning and building, I'm just all over the place right now, I'm also fabricating a costume for my son for cosplay in October, that in itself, is also taking my time, I feel like I got too much going on, I had so many plans for halloween but looks like they are not going materialize, I hope I figure out a balance

Imitation Imagineer
Oh, my goodness.....am I ever feeling the crunch.

We bought a new home in July, which has not only eaten up a ton of prime prop-building time, but has also necessitated (I use that word loosely) a completely new design for the yard, and home. I basically had to scrap my previous plans for the year since it was no longer relevant in the space.

Brilliant person that I am, I also decided it would be a good idea to change positions at work in the same time frame, so am now in a completely new role. This has also presented all manner of 'interesting' new changes.

Add it all up, and I'm not getting near the traction that I need to with fewer than 50 days to go.

Even that isn't really true since it's my preference to have the 'teaser lighting' up the first weekend in October (that's roughly two weeks! :eek:)

I'm still hopeful that we'll pull a rabbit out of the hat, but it's going to be a race to the finish.

Best of luck to everyone!
:)

Wisp in the Mist
Yes, but it's my own fault, in my case. I am a horrible procrastinator! I didn't change themes, but I did plan on adding a new scene, and new features to the cemetery, too. I am off of work this week, but go back next week. I'm seriously considering quitting my job early, so I can work on this more. I planned on quitting in January, but my fiance wishes I wasn't going back at all. ;)

Registered
Feeling it! I just try to get done what I can and if it doesn't get done I'm the only one who knows. And I've already had the "dream" where its time for the party and nothing is set up or ready and people are showing up at the house..................I hate that dream
and my party is on the 17th this year so I lose that extra week...................I need a drink............................

Registered
Oh, absolutely WAY too much to do! We don't take on nearly as much as many of you who change themes each year, but I'm a SAHM with my DD4 and my DSalmost2. They are with me 24/7 and my DH works 3-5 days a week out of state, so he leaves & doesn't come home until the work week is through. Time is just not a friend for regular cleaning & tidying, let alone Halloween prep.

I always feel the crunch particularly this time of year. I love to garden & expanded some flower beds this summer, so we have more outdoor work to do than most, on top of the other stuff that comes along with this time of year. I'm always afraid the house will be embarrassingly messy for our party. It's a realistic fear, unfortunately! :eek:

Seer of All
I'm right there with ya, with the exception of the party. I gave up on those a long time ago and just concentrate on my yard. I did change themes at the last minute though. I had planned on doing an all pirate theme because apparently back in the spring when I was planning a Disney trip and feeling all "pirates of the Caribbean-ish" it seemed like a great plan. Well, due to unforeseen circumstances, the trip is off and so is my love for all things piratey. So I switched gears and am now doing a French Quarter/voodoo theme. I am now in the process of building a 6x16 foot crypt wall and have no idea what I am doing, just making stuff up as I go. On the plus side, I will be able to make use of some things I already had, like my cemetery fence, and my stirring witch will get a little voodoo makeover and keep on stirring. I'm feeling the crunch for sure, but I think it will all come together. Most things I will be adding throughout the month of October so there's no need to have everything done when I start my setup the first weekend in October. And I know myself well enough to know that I do my best work on the fly. It's when I try to plan too far out that I lose momentum and get distracted.
Now, if I can just find some artificial chicken bones... ;)

Registered
I love doing big themed dinner parties, but they work any time of year. I wouldn't give up the chance for a Halloween bash!
I did a pirate/Caribbean themed party last month.
I've got ~200 people to feed on Thursday (salad bar, corn on the cob, cheesy potatoes, fresh green beans, "calico" baked beans-- from scratch, dry beans), baking powder biscuits with chicken and gravy, pulled pork sliders and myriad desserts-- cakes, pies, cream puffs, cheesecakes, fruit cobblers, apple dumplings, baklava--manymany more. I'm getting the biscuits and slider buns pre-made, but the rest is all from scratch.) At least this gathering calls for minimal decor.
When that's over, I can go to work on Halloween in ernest. I remember saying the same thing before the pirate party, but this time I mean it ;)

Registered
Holy cannoli, Oojen! That is a LOT to do! It all sounds delicious though, especially the desserts!! Yum! I hope your guests appreciate all your hard work!!

Lighthearted Halloween
I love doing big themed dinner parties, but they work any time of year. I wouldn't give up the chance for a Halloween bash!
I did a pirate/Caribbean themed party last month.
I've got ~200 people to feed on Thursday (salad bar, corn on the cob, cheesy potatoes, fresh green beans, "calico" baked beans-- from scratch, dry beans), baking powder biscuits with chicken and gravy, pulled pork sliders and myriad desserts-- cakes, pies, cream puffs, cheesecakes, fruit cobblers, apple dumplings, baklava--manymany more. I'm getting the biscuits and slider buns pre-made, but the rest is all from scratch.) At least this gathering calls for minimal decor.
When that's over, I can go to work on Halloween in earnest. I remember saying the same thing before the pirate party, but this time I mean it ;)
It's amazing how you pull all that off with such aplomb. I'm genuinely in awe.

Now I, on the other hand... always put too much on my plate and freak out during September. LOLOL
Feeling panicked has almost become as much a tradition as carving pumpkins and gorging on chocolate. :D

Imitation Imagineer
Feeling it! I just try to get done what I can and if it doesn't get done I'm the only one who knows. And I've already had the "dream" where its time for the party and nothing is set up or ready and people are showing up at the house..................I hate that dream
and my party is on the 17th this year so I lose that extra week...................I need a drink............................
Yep...I had 'The Dream' last week. I really can't stand it. I actually feel all of the panic and tension. :p

This year's version featured me running around like a lunatic trying to finish the display on The Big Day. In the dream, the ToTs were showing up while I was still hooking everything up. They were mocking me because they could see how everything was done, and how it all worked (a big fear of mine).

Evidently, I'd come to this unfortunate end because I forgot to take my vacation (as if), and it had all snuck up on me.

I really hate those stupid dreams..
. :)

Registered
YES MA'AM, I have three projects now that I am working on. And like you're husband I'm not a 9 to 5er so there are a lot of nights when I come home, the last thing I want to do is head out to the shop and work. I have several things in mind but I don't think it will happen this year. My problem is that I always say after Halloween each year I plan on doing this and that, and guess what it is now the middle of Sept and I am just getting started, just like every other year. My FAULT ALL MY FAULT.

Registered
We have our opening night on October 10th, still much to do, many details, sound, lighting, marketing...........I had a dream the other night that everything that was hanging on the walls got wet and turned to a substance like what you would find at the bottom of a compost pile before it's the good stuff. Mushy, stinky, goo.
I think this may represent that my mind is turning to mush! :D

Registered
I'm really feeling it right now, getting the nightmares - you know the ones, eve of Halloween and nothing is out or ready and you aren't dressed and there is no candy and the sun is setting and... gah!! Stress dreams are the worst, and they leave me feeling off after I wake up. Had that one today.

I just don't seem to be getting anything done. I've got two more weekends before the volunteering season starts, and I just bought the fabric for my costume today. (I hope this is quick and easy!) I think that's most of the work that needs done, is costume stuff, for which I ALWAYS get overly conceptual and unrealistic. Hello, bat/human hybrid warrior knight armored evil creepy thing? Paper mache nightmare.

I considered building a carriage hearse, but that involves construction detail crew being helpful (oh, no, by all means, go on vacation next week, it's not almost October or anything) and also being able to find wheels (I want metal farm wheels, and I'm too picky) so that's getting put off until next year. Kinda wanted to build an aeolian harp, a simple one, and had totally forgotten about it and now I think that's a "save for later" project too. I have tombstones to improve and/or build, skellies to corpse, and I'd really like to set up some of the ceramic houses or vintage stuff inside this year. So many ideas, so much procrastination.

I'm missing the opportunity to go and see what the other local haunts are doing.

Registered
Definitely feeling it too - ironically the great ideas from here and the prop page make me want to add more and more to the list. I've taken to writing down the ideas and then the next day when I'm not so emotionally charged to jump right in on them set most aside for a future Halloween. It's even hard when we go shopping now and I see a prop that would be great (I'm looking at you live wires at Spirit) but taking that moment and going - no - not part of my plan for this year.

Not to bring up the "b" word but having a very tight Budget and doing my best to keep to it helps deter those urges to add something else. Yes a fifty foot fireball would be awesome in the backyard but so would having electricity in the house for October so... (paraphrasing "Monsters Wanted")

Crawling in my skin
Haven't had the dreaded dream yet lol! I have scaled back as I was solo on putting everything out the day of Halloween. I found that putting a nice graveyard with a few props, fog, proper lighting and music worked just as well. Since it falls on a Saturday have decided instead of a party my guests would help me be a part of my haunting. Told them all to dress to scare and become my live props in my yard then when it dies down we come in the house to eat and drink! They loved the idea and it should be awesome! Hope the weather cooperates!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts