Halloween Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just curious what I can do about the fact that, here in the heart of my city, I have a street light directly across from my home! It is impossible to be spooky when everything is so well lit! I can't hide anything!

What advice do you have?

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I’ve got a similar situation. I talked to my neighbors & they said they won’t mind if I cover the light with a big black garbage bag on Halloween night. It’s just a temporary solution & not something we want all of October.

Good luck

·
Registered
147 Posts
I’ve got a similar situation. I talked to my neighbors & they said they won’t mind if I cover the light with a big black garbage bag on Halloween night. It’s just a temporary solution & not something we want all of October.

Good luck
How do you get up there to do it? I have one right at the end of my driveway that I'd love to be able to cover but think I'd need firemen to get up there to do it!

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
This comes up every single year and my advice is, as always, learn to live with it. Street lights are there for a reason - safety. If you tamper with it in any way and someone gets hurt, it's your responsibility plus you are most likely looking at a hefty fine from the city.

·
Jumpin' Jack Flash
1,382 Posts
Ditto what Madame Leota said. It’s not worth the risk!
this this this. if it's a light owned by a neighbor and they give you permission to cover it/disable it, you probably don't have to worry about fines, but you could still be exposing yourself to liability. if you can put up something at the edge of your display to cast shade and darken your area specifically (small trees or something) then i think that would be okay, but otherwise just find ways to incorporate the extra light. modifying the light itself is just not a good idea.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Coming from my husband who is a Police Sergeant...

If it is a city street lamp then you are tampering with city property and that is a criminal misdemeanor crime, probably carrying a hefty fine.

Unless someone is hurt, then it is a criminal and civil crime. Because when people realize their kid was hurt on Halloween night, because little Tommy couldn't see or the car that hit him couldn't see, precisely because you blackened out the street... you are going to get sued.

Personally I wouldn't do it... especially on Halloween night when lots of kids are running through the streets. We deal with the same issue. And that is just something we have to live with for one night of the year.

·
Crypto Hunter
1,282 Posts
This comes up every single year and my advice is, as always, learn to live with it. Street lights are there for a reason - safety. If you tamper with it in any way and someone gets hurt, it's your responsibility plus you are most likely looking at a hefty fine from the city.
We also have a street light directly across from our yard, mainly because we live on a corner lot..
And while I did not like it at first I have come to appreciate the extra light and view it as a potential deterrent against theft and vandalism.

In fact, on Halloween night we turn on all of our outside lights, even though it does take away a bit from the display, just so the kids can see where they're walking.

Anyway our display is up for several weeks and folks can drive/walk by and see it without the extra lighting before the big night :)

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
Man, we are SO lucky at our place. There's a streetlight across the road, corner of property lines. We tend to get fog. That particular lamp is amber. Not bright at all, it casts an eerie glow...perfect for mood.
I like the garbage bag idea. It appeals to my my mischievous side.

·
Registered
226 Posts
We have a street light right in front of our yard. We have to learned to work around it. One year it messed us up but now we just work around it. Knowing its there and there is not a lot we can do aboout it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
My solution to the street lighting problem was to put the friendly stuff in the front of the house for the tiny ToTs, and move the spookier scenes to the back yard, where the street lights don't reach.

Graveyard in the back yard, and mad scientist lab in the basement. The visitors all seem duly impressed with the walkthrough aspect.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Thanks, I have it bookmarked now. I always seem to lose this resource. I have this exact problem that Rob talks about with an amber streetlight maybe 30 feet washing out my yard. I finally have enough experience and props to actually start putting his ideas and theories into action. Testing this summer, I noticed having a blue LED spot at ground level did not create as much “cool” color as if i moved it up a few feet in the air. I’m thinking of trying to attach a spot to a fence I am building. Raising the light 2 feet made a difference in fighting the street light. I am also going to try what Rob said and put 2 spots in the middle of my yard facing out, as opposed to the corners of my yard, and see how that looks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts