Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you have too manny feature props or anamatronics? I sometimes wonder if to many things going off takes away for each other. Next year I may find better sensors or make a better way of timing them (rather then built in motion/sound sensors )

·
Registered
179 Posts
Maybe look at spreading the props farther apart along your layout, so people move from one scare to the next? It will also make your haunt seem that much bigger and fancier.

One thing you can do with that is draw attention with something static, and then have the action prop startle them from the side or from under cover. You can do the same with actors too, of course; while they are busy admiring your artfully posed and lighted skeleton, have your friend in the zombie costume sneak up right behind them.

·
Defender of Blucky Honor
1,051 Posts
I found that static props do not usually get their or hold their attention as well. That is why I'm slowing moving each year to more moving ones.

·
Registered
401 Posts
One thing you can do with that is draw attention with something static, and then have the action prop startle them from the side or from under cover.
We worked to spread the items out so that it wouldn't be overwhelming.

Admittedly I was disappointed to see that one of the effects we had that started people the most was my lowly spirit spider in one corner. People were focused on a hanging ghoul and then this would get them, which was triggered remotely via a PIR monitored by an Arduino. Kind of negated all of the other work with pneumatic props :-(

spirit-spider.jpg

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Well, because of the heavy rain, we crammed as much as we could into the tunnel and garage, we had a total of around 15 animatronics in little space, it was a hyper sensation for people, not sure where to look, freaking out due to so much moving around..... my jumping spider and lurching vampire got them good! (L)
People loved it. Sadly, I still had another 15 animatronics I didn't use this year... I HATE THE WEATHER!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Can you have too manny feature props or anamatronics? I sometimes wonder if to many things going off takes away for each other. Next year I may find better sensors or make a better way of timing them (rather then built in motion/sound sensors )
I have seen yards that have so much going on it reminds me of a amusement park or carnival noise wise. I know a lot of people really like this kind of stuff but I am 'old school" and like the power of the imagination. (which seems to be diminishing rapidly with some of today's kids) I usually have a few air props but this year I had none.. I had some people that were disappointed as nothing jumped at them , some were even more leery due to not knowing what to expect.
I like to keep them guessing what awaits them.

·
Registered
13,769 Posts
For as simple of a prop as it is, I think the jumping spider is a great scare. Always seems to get people I noticed.

As for too many animated props close together, they say timing is everything. Haha. Hold true to haunts as well. I'm of the camp of less is more generally. An exception would be for example when you want to make them feel claustophobic with a lot of GID hanging pool noodles in a dark room they need to wade thru only to distract them so they aren't expecting the scare near the end or hidden among the noodles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts