Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Purely and Simply....EVIL
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok-so I have quite a few styrofoam tombstones with those plastic stands. In my husbands attempt to stick them in the ground so he could get back to watching football, he broke every single one while putting them in the ground. I told him he could not press them in from the top, he had to stake them in from the bottom. That fell on deaf ears, and now I have no way to put them in the ground and Im stuck with what to do with them. Anyway to get them in the ground, even just for Halloween night? Im so frustrated I just want to pull them all in and forget the whole thing. (they are currently blowing around our front yard because of the high winds.) Sorry for the vent! Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
190 Posts
One usual method is to drill a long hole in the bottom of the tombstone. Drive a longer metal rod, rebar, even a bamboo tomato stake or something into the ground and place the tombstone onto it.

Tombstones are terrific wind catchers and if they aren't anchored really well they'll fly down the street.

I sharpened the end of a piece of half inch copper pipe and used it to hand drill the holes in mine and it worked fine.

Don

·
Registered
299 Posts
You know those annoying political signs that are stuck everywhere this time of year? They are posted on a heavy wire frame, that when cut in half and shortened just a bit, form a nice wire steel "H"(you'll get 2 per sign!) that headstones mount onto perfectly! Now if you could somehow 'find' a few of these, you'd be in business.

·
The Evil Apparitionist
555 Posts
I hot melt glue 1/2" PVC pipes about a foot long each (two per tombstone) one on each side of the back. I drive two 3/8" x 2 foot rebar into the ground and slide the tombstone PVC pipes over the rebar. The rebar is easy to remove but hold the tombstones steady.

Rebar = about $.99 each at lowes

Pvc = about $2.50 per 10 foot section

Tombstones not blowing away = Priceless

In a pinch you could also use a brick and some duct tape around the bottoms.

·
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You know those annoying political signs that are stuck everywhere this time of year? They are posted on a heavy wire frame, that when cut in half and shortened just a bit, form a nice wire steel "H"(you'll get 2 per sign!) that headstones mount onto perfectly! Now if you could somehow 'find' a few of these, you'd be in business.
I actually have a ton of these (husband owns his own business with yard signs for advertising.) We tried doing this but didnt have anything to cut them in half with? They are impossible~ we could do the brick/duct tape thing as well. Thanks for all the suggestions...if only we could cut those stupid wire things!:confused:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I use a spade bit with an extension to drill a hole in the bottom of the tombstone(mine also have a 1/4" plywood back. then I push in a 12" piece of 1/2" pvc with latex caulk in the hole. I use 12" rebar in the ground to set it on. Cutting steel can be done witha metal cutting wheel on a grinder, circular saw, or a dremel tool

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,078 Posts
Bamboo stakes for tying up plants (cut or break them to be about a foot or so long, drill holes in the tombstone, line up the holes you drilled with the stakes and start them into the ground, then TAKE OFF the stone and push the stakes into the ground about halfway, then mount the stone and push it home. (if you try to push it in with the stone on the stakes - you will end up having holes popped into the stones... learned the hard way :mad: )

Get cheap wire cutters (I got some at Sears Hardware for $13 that cut through coathanger thick wire) and go to town with the sign wires you already have. Make sure you tell them you need something that cuts through wire like coathangers - I got shown some tin snips that do NOT work on wire.:rolleyes:

Glue to scrap pieces of plywood/wood.

Regular stakes painted black and duct tape. I've resorted to this one in really windy conditions. Pound in a stake then tape it to the back of the stone.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I glued with liquid nails 1 or 2 emt conduit clamps depending on the size of the tombstone and used 3/8 rebar into the ground. They hold up in plenty of wind and stay very steady. On a couple of larger tombstones I use 4 clamps and 2 rebar rods. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
OK here is one. I'm getting more and more in to resuing what I can as times are geting tighter. I use the metal "H" shaped thing that the election signs are on. After the local elections they are along the road siids and well they can be fined if they are left up (LOL) so I'm helping them and the environment too. I just trim the the part that sticks up in the Tombstone as long as I need it to be, and I drivw thw other part down to the cross bar.

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
Something I've done which seems to work pretty well...

I've glued a wooden "T" to the back of my foam tombstones.
I pound another wooden stake into the ground...leaving about a foot and a half or 2 of the stake above ground.

I've drilled 2 holes into the stake, and I just run a couple of screws through the stake, into the wooden "T" on the back of the tombstone.

So far, it's kept my tombstones in place through wind and rain and whatever.
(I tried this originally with the whole thing glued to the stone, but of course the wood pulled loose from the stone as soon as I started pounding with the mallet...which then gave me the idea to separate the stake from the framework, and just screw them together after the stake was in place)

·
Registered
591 Posts
I have used wire coat hangers staighted and pushed into the ground(wear gloves)and the push the stones on to the hangers.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Foam tombstone mounts

I cut a piece of 2X4 to almost the same width as the tombstone. I paint it with latex paint, to match the tombstone, even though it gets attached to the back. In a few inches from each end of the 2X4, I drill a 3/8 in hole, edgewise, through the 3.5 inch thick wood. I also paint two fender washers as well. I put a long drywall screw through each of the fender washers, so that I can secure the tombstone to the 2X4. I then drive a twelve inch spike through the 3/8 inch holes so that 8.5 inches goes into the ground. The only problem I have had through the years with doing this is that the wind did snap off one of those really tall (3+ foot) ones on the bottom edge. All I had to do was trim off the two inches and screw it back on.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Something I've done which seems to work pretty well...

I've glued a wooden "T" to the back of my foam tombstones.
I pound another wooden stake into the ground...leaving about a foot and a half or 2 of the stake above ground.

I've drilled 2 holes into the stake, and I just run a couple of screws through the stake, into the wooden "T" on the back of the tombstone.

So far, it's kept my tombstones in place through wind and rain and whatever.
(I tried this originally with the whole thing glued to the stone, but of course the wood pulled loose from the stone as soon as I started pounding with the mallet...which then gave me the idea to separate the stake from the framework, and just screw them together after the stake was in place)
We used this method this year as well, except we didn't glue a "T" to the back. We just used a piece of 1x2 glued up the center of the back, and a piece for staking into the ground. It's not the most attractive method, but we had heavy winds last night (25 to 30 mph), and nothing moved.

·
Capt o' the Mourning Star
600 Posts
We had the same problem with our tombstones. So, I sent my daughter to the hardware store to get some plant stakes (I told her either wood or metal) for us to use to stick into the ground to hold them in place. She came back with two bundles of 3' long metal fence stakes! Needless to say, my tombstones are not going anywhere..........EVER:D!

I punched some holes in the tombstones and ran black wire ties through to the fence stake.......at night it passed the 5' test (It looks just fine from 5' away:D!)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Buy those little wire fences at the hardware store. Cut em up and use em. The wire is just a little lighter weight than coat hangers, cut easily with wire cutters, and work really well.

·
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok guys! I am attempting to bump this thread up again as I really really need to get this problem fixed for this year! Last year we used the H type wire political sign holders taped with clear packing tape. We cannot do that again this year...so looking for more suggestions. These are all great, but I am afraid I am not very handy...although DH is. So any more ideas would be great!!! Thanks!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts