Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Please give me your opinion on the foams you use for crafting your tombstones, I plan on using great stuff expanding foam so I can fully customize my own tombstone, I don't know if you guys have a better preference but if you do comment and tell me why please:)
Thank you and happy haunting!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought about using insulation board but I was told that if you try to spray paint it it will melt and I don't want that to happen to several hours work.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do like spray painting though, to me it i'm able to get effects that acrylic paints do not get me, but if i did you the insulation foam and put on a layer of latex foam do you think that would prevent melting of the foam?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I do like spray painting though, to me it i'm able to get effects that acrylic paints do not get me, but if i did you the insulation foam and put on a layer of latex foam do you think that would prevent melting of the foam?
If the foam board insulation has a really good coat of latex paint, then yes, you can spray paint.

Here's one of mine done as I described:

·
Here to burgle your turts
2,305 Posts
They look awesome, Scary Mars! I think depth does help a fair bit, at least if you have a few like that. Looking forward to seeing 'em done.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I would recommend watching Terra's tutorials on making and painting tombstones. Also do a Youtube search on making/painting tombstones out of foam. There are almost as many different ideas as there are paint colors. I personally prefer Terra's methods combined with little things I've picked up in the process of making my own.

·
Here to burgle your turts
2,305 Posts
Wow! I don't want to know how long these are taking you. It took me a while to realize that divers helmet wasn't real. The bar just keeps getting raised on these things. Amazing.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Gobby, Scary: They didn't take as long as you'd think. A little dremel work, some gorilla glue...and voila! You should see them lit up! :) I'll be putting them out soon so I'll post a pic of them with their lights on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
They all look great guys I'll keep you posted on when I make mine for the next Halloween season, I need to get to work on my costume for now.

·
Registered
354 Posts
What I use for tombstones

Hello,
Please give me your opinion on the foams you use for crafting your tombstones, I plan on using great stuff expanding foam so I can fully customize my own tombstone, I don't know if you guys have a better preference but if you do comment and tell me why please:)
Thank you and happy haunting!
This is just my personal preference, but I love the 1.5 inch thick white bead Styrofoam board. Home Depot has it in full 8' X 4' sheets, but I usually buy it in 2' X 4' sheets, just because it fits in my small SUV. I usually glue two sheets together to make a 3 inch thick board, which is perfect for most of my tombstones. The reason I love the white bad Styrofoam is because you can crumble and tear away areas with your fingers, and it leaves a texture that looks like broken stone. After the drylock, painting, and a little dry brushing it looks like a slap of old stone. Here's a couple of Happy Halloween ones I made for my neighbors. Also a few I've made for my yard. All of them out of the white bead Styrofoam. I guess if you're going to do some really intricate carving, then it might be better to use the pink or blue foam board, because it's denser. P4F-1.jpg P4F-3.jpg P4F-4.jpg R4F-2.jpg R4F-1.jpg R4F-3.jpg DSC_0012.jpg Stone 2.jpg Stone 1.jpg Stone 4.jpg Stone 3.jpg Stone 6.jpg

1 - 20 of 22 Posts