Halloween Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
This one is one of my favorites and is made from the pink foam insulation. I used 2 pieces and glued them together. The front piece is supposed to look like the proscenium arch of a theater.
Marie.jpg

These two I did last fall. The RIP was one we found at Hobby Lobby, and it lights up. I added a base made from 2X4, and did the texturing with monster mud and dry brushing. The Celtic cross was just the just the face and the name "Betsy" on a brown 1/2" thick Styrofoam decoration my wife found at a garage sale. I glued it to 1" thick beaded Styrofoam and used my foam cutter to follow the contours of the cross. The base is one of those cheap coolers that you get when you order custom meats from suppliers. I cut a piece of 4X4 to fit is length and glued it in to give it enough weight to stand and it's handled 40 MPH winds with no issue. Again - monster mud and dry brushing for the finish.
RIP.jpg Celtic.jpg

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Last year we purchased a yard haunt from an older couple retiring from full-time haunting. They are enjoying a more relaxed life putting up inflatables. Part of their collection was dozens of smaller tombstones purchased from stores over the years. We’re sanding away parts we don’t want (like the skull on Eileen) and adding a lot of free foam from the local furniture store. The end goal is making unique stones for our cemetery.

They may use age-old silly epitaphs, but their look is at least our own. We don't think of store-bought stones as something we put outside. We think of them as the beginning.

View attachment 738558 View attachment 738559

Welcome, foolish mortals. Our tour continues in this gallery, where you see tombstones as they appeared in their corruptible, storefront state. As well as the way they were changed for our cemetery. We think both versions are fine. Store-bought tombstones are better than no decorations. However, our versions fit our Pet Semetery and our urge to light up tombstones much better.

View attachment 738570 View attachment 738572
Could you please elaborate as to how you built up the wings and pieces on these? They look fantastic. I have been wondering the best way to use the cheapy stuff.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Last year we purchased a yard haunt from an older couple retiring from full-time haunting. They are enjoying a more relaxed life putting up inflatables. Part of their collection was dozens of smaller tombstones purchased from stores over the years. We’re sanding away parts we don’t want (like the skull on Eileen) and adding a lot of free foam from the local furniture store. The end goal is making unique stones for our cemetery.

They may use age-old silly epitaphs, but their look is at least our own. We don't think of store-bought stones as something we put outside. We think of them as the beginning.

View attachment 738558 View attachment 738559

Welcome, foolish mortals. Our tour continues in this gallery, where you see tombstones as they appeared in their corruptible, storefront state. As well as the way they were changed for our cemetery. We think both versions are fine. Store-bought tombstones are better than no decorations. However, our versions fit our Pet Semetery and our urge to light up tombstones much better.
Took me quite a bit to catch the "EILEEN" - Love subtle humor like that !
1618346153380.png

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've been out of the Halloween scene for a number of years but started back up this year by redoing several old props I've refused to get rid of over the years. I had to give away lots of stuff when we made the move across the US and made several cheap tombstones for the front yard the first year in our new home. They looked like this example, a simple black and white tombstone.
IMG_4237.jpeg

I watched a bunch of vids and Pintrested a bit and then went for it. Here are some during shots with a picture of three of the finished products.
IMG_4238.jpeg

62683014011__A04FF830-8F27-4B7E-BC20-0F22D9A820B7.jpeg

IMG_4243.jpeg

IMG_4268.jpeg

Thanks to VanOaksProps for inspiration and great ideas. Added a few ideas of my own and these are the results.
Here's another picture along with a cheap skeleton I redid this year also.

I finished the painting on them under lighting at night also so I could make sure they looked good not only during the day but also at night.

Thanks for looking and letting me share!

·
Registered
Prop Building
72 Posts
I like my outdoor props to be as resilient as possible, so I normally go into materials that make these things almost 100% authentic. This was taken in my side yard this morning, as I leave these things out all year to age naturally in the seasons. The crosses are 1 1/2", 2" x 6" that I weathered initially using tea/steel wool vinegar mix and they are held in the ground with a piece of salvaged copper pipe. The tombstone, is made from concrete and I did a tutorial on it for my channel last year and it is secured into the ground using the rebar I cast into the actual tombstone. The concrete one is something else, but man is it heavy (Took a full bag of concrete to make) I am planning on making more for this year as rain/snow or wind they don't care what Mother Nature throws at them and any kid trying to kick them over will just get a broken foot.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I like my outdoor props to be as resilient as possible, so I normally go into materials that make these things almost 100% authentic. This was taken in my side yard this morning, as I leave these things out all year to age naturally in the seasons. The crosses are 1 1/2", 2" x 6" that I weathered initially using tea/steel wool vinegar mix and they are held in the ground with a piece of salvaged copper pipe. The tombstone, is made from concrete and I did a tutorial on it for my channel last year and it is secured into the ground using the rebar I cast into the actual tombstone. The concrete one is something else, but man is it heavy (Took a full bag of concrete to make) I am planning on making more for this year as rain/snow or wind they don't care what Mother Nature throws at them and any kid trying to kick them over will just get a broken foot.

View attachment 744974

I never thought of having one laying on the ground like that, that's a nice idea.

·
Registered
Prop Building
72 Posts
I never thought of having one laying on the ground like that, that's a nice idea.
I would like to pretend it was a moment of inspiration, but instead it was a mistake I turned into a benefit. The leaves are strategically covering the letters "PIR" on the tombstone, because yours truly forgot to reverse the letter before I poured the concrete. I had a lightbulb moment about an hour later I had messed up, so I popped it from the form half cured so I could salvage the rebar I had embedded. As I never let anything go to waste, I let it cure and voila! Broken tombstone for the ground.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts