Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Read Only
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a wonderful thread that has been around for over a decade called Show Us Your Stones. You can find it here: Prop Showcase: - Show us your stones

The problem with the thread, as you'll soon notice, is that there are pages and pages of missing links, lost photos, and wondrous things that should be there, but aren't. There's still great stuff there. If you're just starting out with building a cemetery haunt, spend a few hours there digging through the wealth of ideas that are available.

Today many folk who create great tombstones are posting them independently in separate "conversations" now. However, the search engines don't link to them because of their titles. It leaves those looking for help or ideas on creating tombstones at a loss, because the search engines here are iffy at best. It also gives those who deserve a few accolades for their work without a living, thriving location where they can post their photos. In short, the tombstone thread is a graveyard.

In an attempt to jump-start the search engines to link to a common area, we're going to try to get forum members to sign on to an old idea.

Show us your stones. Give a bit of history, or guidance on how to make them. Link your post to tutorials you used, or videos that helped you create your stones. Better yet, make a few of your own and share your techniques. Let's recreate a new thread where people can come to gawk at your greatness, or thank you for new ideas. Let's bring our tombstones back to life.

·
Read Only
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Last year we purchased a yard haunt from an older couple retiring from full-time haunting. They are enjoying a more relaxed life putting up inflatables. Part of their collection was dozens of smaller tombstones purchased from stores over the years. We’re sanding away parts we don’t want (like the skull on Eileen) and adding a lot of free foam from the local furniture store. The end goal is making unique stones for our cemetery.

They may use age-old silly epitaphs, but their look is at least our own. We don't think of store-bought stones as something we put outside. We think of them as the beginning.

Welcome, foolish mortals. Our tour continues in this gallery, where you see tombstones as they appeared in their corruptible, storefront state. As well as the way they were changed for our cemetery. We think both versions are fine. Store-bought tombstones are better than no decorations. However, our versions fit our Pet Semetery and our urge to light up tombstones much better.

·
Registered
338 Posts
There is a wonderful thread that has been around for over a decade called Show Us Your Stones. You can find it here: Prop Showcase: - Show us your stones

The problem with the thread, as you'll soon notice, is that there are pages and pages of missing links, lost photos, and wondrous things that should be there, but aren't. There's still great stuff there. If you're just starting out with building a cemetery haunt, spend a few hours there digging through the wealth of ideas that are available.

Today many folk who create great tombstones are posting them independently in separate "conversations" now. However, the search engines don't link to them because of their titles. It leaves those looking for help or ideas on creating tombstones at a loss, because the search engines here are iffy at best. It also gives those who deserve a few accolades for their work without a living, thriving location where they can post their photos. In short, the tombstone thread is a graveyard.

In an attempt to jump-start the search engines to link to a common area, we're going to try to get forum members to sign on to an old idea.

Show us your stones. Give a bit of history, or guidance on how to make them. Link your post to tutorials you used, or videos that helped you create your stones. Better yet, make a few of your own and share your techniques. Let's recreate a new thread where people can come to gawk at your greatness, or thank you for new ideas. Let's bring our tombstones back to life.

·
Read Only
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great work on the detail work of your filigree and lettering reefcrazed. What did you use to get such fine detail? We're kind of a broad stroke tombstone maker, so it's fun to see someone going the other direction.

·
Read Only
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Algernon died in 1958, Charley soon after. The little tombstone for the mouse has seen better days. It still stands in the backyard of the old, abandoned house. Someone clears the brush away, but nature is slowly reclaiming her own. Every week the grave is visited by a lone woman in her nineties. She leaves a few flowers and tears for what might have been, but never was.

Algernon is one of a number of heavy weighted tombstones meant to sit on a concrete section of the Pet Sematary that gets covered with mulch to look like the rest of the area. He's heavy enough on the bottom to not tip over even if it gets windy.

·
Read Only
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Most of my inspiration for these came from Scary Lady video's and, The Haunting Ground. Two very talented sources for tombstone carving.
You're very talented yourself. I don't know if you have larger copies of all your wonderful tombstones, but I for one would love to see more of them by showing them larger than those little teasers you posted. Your detail work deserves a closer look. :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have always loved Halloween, about 6 years ago I made my first tombstone and then life happened. Well after 6 years I finally created a new tombstone. The one with the bird skeleton on it was my first one, Fred is my second one. I still need to age Fred more. I am taking a break for about two weeks, but I have big plans for next year, hopefully will be able to add 4 new stones to this thread next year.
Shanna.jpg Fed.jpg

·
Registered
67 Posts
You're very talented yourself. I don't know if you have larger copies of all your wonderful tombstones, but I for one would love to see more of them by showing them larger than those little teasers you posted. Your detail work deserves a closer look. :)
[/QUOTE They were larger originally not sure what happened.

·
Registered
67 Posts
This is actually taken from a King Diamond song Abigail with an interesting story line perfect for Halloween!

Abigail tells the story of a young couple, Miriam Natias and Jonathan La'Fey, who move into an old mansion that La'Fey inherited. It takes place in the summer of 1845. At their arrival they are warned by seven horsemen not to move into the house because if they do "18 will become 9." They do not heed the warning and proceed to move into the mansion. During their first night, Jonathan meets with Count de La'Fey, the Family Ghost, who is a deceased relative. The ghost shows him a casket in which a corpse of a stillborn child, Abigail, rests. The ghost informs him that Miriam is carrying the spirit of Abigail and that the child will soon be reborn. He insists that Jonathan must kill Miriam at once to prevent the rebirth.
The narration then relates the story of what happened to the Count and his wife: on 7 July 1777, the Count had discovered his wife had been unfaithful to him, and was pregnant with an illegitimate child. Enraged, he threw the Countess down the stairs, breaking her neck and causing the child to be stillborn. The Count had the body of the Countess cremated, and the stillborn fetus he named Abigail and had mummified and laid to rest in a sarcophagus, the Count having an inexplicable urge to preserve Abigail for the future.
The narration then returns to the summer of 1845, during which Jonathan and Miriam are beset by a range of omens; the church bell rings despite nobody being inside to ring it, flowers die, unwholesome stenches fill the house and in the dining room the table is discovered set for 3. In one incident an empty cradle is discovered by Jonathan swaying in the air, with both him and Miriam insisting that they didn't bring it with them. The next day, Miriam is clearly pregnant and the fetus develops quickly; Jonathan realises that the family ghost was speaking the truth.
The fatal crisis begins when Jonathan accuses Abigail of possessing Miriam, and Abigail (through Miriam) admits it. Jonathan is terrified and considers getting a priest to exorcise Miriam - Miriam, however, exercising a moment of control, urges him to cast her down the stairs to kill her just as the Count had slain the Countess and Abigail's original incarnation. Therefore, Jonathan pretends to give in to Abigail's demands, and suggests to Abigail (once she regains control of Miriam) that she should come down to the family crypt so she can be reborn where she died. However, as the couple stands at the top of the stairs, Jonathan is distracted and the possessed Miriam pushes Jonathan down the stairs.
Miriam gives birth to Abigail, but dies shortly afterwards, her last sight being of Abigail's "yellow eyes"; supposedly her ghost can be heard screaming on the stairs in July ever after. The seven horsemen arrive at the mansion and discover the baby Abigail in the sarcophagus, eating something too horrifying for the narrator to mention (though the fact that it is found in the sarcophagus suggests that Abigail is eating her own previous body). Appalled, they take her away to bury her in a hidden chapel in the forest with seven silver spikes driven through her body (a burial heard as the intro to the album), in the hope that this will prevent a further resurrection.

·
Registered
1 Posts

So, after doing a lot of research on Pinterest, Marsha Bryant <Halloween Tombstones>, the Lady DIY <DIY Tombstones - The Lady DIY> and VanOak Cemetery <VanOaks Cemetery>, I decided to make my own tombstones out of the insulation styrofoam. Here are the results:

I have found the easiest way to cut(melt) the tombstone from the 2" styrofoam is using the Hot Wire Foam Factory 3" Hot Knife. And I use their Precision Engraver to carve (melt) out the epitaph. Coat the styrofoam with Drylok waterproofer. Purchase the Original in gray if available it already has the sand added. I could not find the Original in my area so I had to use the Drylok Extreme in white and have the store add dye to turn it gray. For attaching the base and filling in gaps, I used Loctite Power Grab Heavy Duty for outside. This has worked really well as the area has had around 5" of rain. For aging the stones I used Apple Barrel craft acrylic paints. And they have survived the rain as well. I'm looking forward to making more tombstones for next year. Please keep posting your photos and 'How To's'.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts