Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so ive decided to go with foam, now what is the best way to actually engrave what you sketch on it

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,640 Posts
There are different methods. I print out the wording on paper from a chosen font, then use an exacto blade to score around the edge of the letters. I then use a dremel tool to actually rout out the script. Some folks use hot tools like wood burners to burn out the letters and some carve them all by hand. Depends on what method works best for you.

·
that dude ain't right
621 Posts
I did the same. Type up whatever you want and print it in Landscape. You can usually use 2 pages one atop another. I used a dremel routig bit. Oh, and if you want an aged- slightly chipped look you can spray the edges with spraypaint. It will eat the styrofoam and look more like stone.

·
AKA - S.M. Barrett
1,084 Posts
One haunter on this forum recently posted that he'd had excellent results with a spare hot glue gun - no glue, just the heated tip, with plenty of ventilation.

He had good control with it, got all sorts of widths and depths with just that one tool. Seems cheap enough to try.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,482 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts