Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Drill holes in the tombstone base using a long drill bit. Bosch and other manufacturers make metal drill bits that go about 9" deep or you could use a wood drill bit that will go up to 16" deep. After drilling the holes slide in a piece of PVC pipe and use construction adhesive to hold it in place, the bottom of the PVC pipe should be flush with the bottom of your tombstone (trim as required). This will allow flexibility for display as this method will allow you to install over rebar stacked into the ground or wooden dowels attached to a flat plywood base (for hard pavement).

·
Registered
366 Posts
I glue surveyor stakes to the back of the stones.
View attachment 571903
For the store brought ones I do the same and give the stakes a spray with flat black paint.

For the ones I built myself this year, I made them out of two sandwiched pieces of insulation foam and before gluing them together I routed out a channel to glue in some half inch pvc, and will use rebar, or a wooden dowel.

·
Registered
228 Posts
ill get some pictures later when im home but the method i have used has worked wonders for me over the last few years, and its very cheap!

So i use wooden dowels in the ground, i have some that are about 10' long and some that are maybe 6', i have never had a problem with the wind knocking them over. i pound the dowels in the ground about half way, it really depends on the size of the tomb stone. then on the back of each stone i hot glue a small section of PVC to the base of the stone. really lay the glue on thick and kinda roll the PVC into it to get a good grip. then i just insert the dowel into the PVC. sometimes the spin in the wind a bit but the grass holds them in place pretty well. only during very high winds have i had a few stones come off the dowel.

·
Registered
521 Posts
My solution this year was to build heavy wooden bases. The ground here is too hard to go pounding much rebar into, you literally need a sledge hammer to make a dent, and with the high winds, everything else fails. So my new bases not only raise the tombstones up about 8" and make them more substantial, the bases weigh 25-40 pounds, depending on the size of the tombstone, and no wind is going to move them.

·
The Haunting Girl
854 Posts
I legit used duct tape and bamboo stakes the past two years. I still ended up pulling my stones inside when the winds got bad. This year I committed to "upgrading" all my stones with an extra layer of foam with 1-2 pieces of PVC pipe in them. The PVC adds a decent amount of weight and it allows me to just push some rebar into the grass and slide the stone right over it. I try to keep everything hidden since ToTs see most of my display from both sides. There's some pictures on my Facebook page showing some of the stones I'm working on now.
Of course I'm really behind schedule and will only get about half the stones done that I wanted...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Since Halloween is a little before election season (unfortunately an often much more scary time than Halloween could ever be), I get a few donated yard signs from politicians, remove the plastic cover, then keep the metal bar underneath. I cut the metal into smaller pieces with a dremel or saw and use those to drill into the gravestone and the ground. You can vary the length of the bars as needed.

For the really large pieces (like our celtic cross) I mounted a fence stake to the back and down into the ground.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Like Vlad above, I am using the metal wire stands used on the political signs. I am cutting them into T's then sharpening the ends opposite each other. I use 2 T's on each tombstone. Stab a sharp end into the foam and the other sharp end into the ground. The other part I have sticking out of the back and I can use my foot on that to help push them into the ground. Works great!

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
my yard is tarmac so i had to make flat bases for my polystyrene tombstones so then i used to weight them down with normal house bricks this worked fine the bigger ones i used a couple of bricks .

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I use pvc glued to the back of the tombstone over rebar stakes. I learned about it on here and it works perfectly. The only thing the plastic stakes that come with the tombstones are good for is using larger ones that come with big tombstones on the little tombstones. Even those don't always work.

·
Registered
93 Posts
So we had a storm go through today with pretty bad winds and I just knew I was going to lose some of my tombstones if not all of them. To my surprise every single one of them was right where I left them after the storm went through. Politician sign T's for the win!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts