Halloween Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wasn't sure which area to post so might also post under Props as well. I have 2 tombstones with damage & think both were bought at Target. Appears this spider one was painted & is coming off in areas (never had this happen to any others before).

What is best kind of paint for touch-up & then also what to use to protect it further? It's not resin or plastic but heavy cement-type material, I believe.
IMG_2241.JPG

IMG_2242.JPG

This next one is one of my first, one of my favorites & is pretty old. Not holding out much hope but any ideas how to repair this? I have most of the pieces. Stuff with some kind of putty type material to make solid then glue? This is a hard plastic although it is thin; hence the breakage.

IMG_2243.JPG

IMG_2244.JPG

IMG_2245.JPG

Also picked up the stack of 3 spell books from Michaels. Appears to be a cement-type material & noticed a small chip on the corner. Went to cover it up with a Sharpie & more started flaking off. I'm not going to leave them out in the rain but I was planning on doing a witch scene & they will be on a shelf outside but will bring them in at night & if weather is bad. Still could get dewey. Some sore of clear coat I assume.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
For repainting I do a grey primer then stone texture paint. Holds up for several years for me and mine are out for like 2 months in all kinds of weather.

The second one is more tricky. I would use some epoxy putty type stuff. I use Apoxie Sculpt because you can smooth it with water wet fingers and it's easier to work with and texture than a lot of them. This is going to take several days to finish unfortunately.

First get something a little sturdy for backing the pieces cutting out some gallon milk jug plastic should work. Putty that in place so you can putty the broken pieces to it later. put the plastic inside the tombstone Let it cure at least 24 hours.

The other option is to use some expanding foam like Great Stuff and fill the stone in to provide a backing for the pieces. Again this needs to cure before going on to the next step. It's up to you for what you feel more comfortable doing.

Once the plastic is cured and attached, or the foam set, use the epoxy putty to put the shards in place. Just get them stuck where you want them. DON'T PRESS SUPER HARD, just hard enough to get them to stick. Do not worry about gaps yet. Let that cure at least 24 hours. You could also use doublesided tape, it will be quicker because you can go right on to the next step but not as sturdy.

Then once all that is cured use the putty to fill gaps, wet your fingers and smooth down. You want it to cover the very edges of the shards so it will blend. You want to do this even over non-obvious cracks because this will add strength. Now wait 2 hours. After that 2 hours the putty will be a bit more firm and easier to get that texture into. Use whatever if you don't have sculpting tools. I usually use something like a wood kabob skewer if my tools aren't handy. Keep the tool wet so it doesn't stick. Match the texture as best you can. Let it cure at least 24 hours but 36-48 is better, then paint.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts