Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Warlock
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'm a bozo. I saw a post showing how to get 9 or 10 tombstones from a single sheet of 4x8 foam a few weeks ago when I was concentrating on other stuff and I was too dumb to bookmark it. I don't remember anything about it except it had a sweet schematic on graph paper for laying out the stones to have the least possible waste while getting the most variety of shape. There were two different layouts shown. I can't seem to get the right search terms to bring it up. does anyone know what I'm talking about? If so, could you please direct me to it? Also, if you know of *other* places for me to find this kind of info, I'd really appreciate hearing about that, too. Geez it's hard being dim sometimes:eek: Thanks loads.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Anyone know where to get some templates in a vector format so they are scaleable. like adobe corel autocad etc.

I have a 24" Inkjet and would like to print them 1:1 and then transfer to styro.

Anyone have any thought on best way to transfer them? glue the paper to the styro? tape it? then use a pattern transfer wheel?

Thanks
Mike

·
Hauntless
8,344 Posts
I love your idea of the pattern transfer wheel. That would be a perfect tool for foam. For small detail work (including epitaphs), I traced over the pattern hard with a pen and that leaves an impression as well. You then remove the pattern and you can see the impression when you tilt the foam to the light. Then I just re-traced the impression with a pen.

Here's a tracing wheel if no one has ever seen one before:

Here's another tool I used, a Flexicurve. You bend it into the curve you like. Then mark your start and end points on the tombstone and draw your line. Then flip it over and repeat the line on the other side:

I also used French curves to get a good arc going. They can be tricky to use but those curves are great!

I didn't use that template for the overall shape of the tombstone so I don't know how I would scale it other than the old squared method. If you are a bit handy with drawing, I would just use the template as a framework for how much of the foam sheet you can use for one tombstone and design your own. I think it would be easier in the long run.

DarkStar: Thanks :p. To be honest, before I started my tombstones I looked all over the net and looked what other people did and took the best ideas and added some of my own. I do that sort of thing for every project I take on. You can call me The Improver :) That's how I roll....

·
Registered
230 Posts
Cool.

I guess I could use corel and draw a pattern out and them print and transfer. If one does not have a large format printer one could tile print it, tape it together for the same effect.

I will give it a try. Thanks

·
Registered
238 Posts
If you've got access to any sort of projector (even the little $15 craft projectors you see at your local craft store), you could easily scale any image. I used my home theater projector and made super quick work of it.

·
Registered
537 Posts
This is on my todo list for this year. I want to get rid of all my store bought stones and custom make all new ones. I don't want people to come to my yard haunt and say ..."I got that, or I seen that at walmart I want to strive for all custom stuff.

Maybe breaking off more than I can chew but I got to try.

Thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I just had an amazing idea......

Design a tombstone in corel or some cad / drawing program. The vinyl cut the stencil / relief design including letter and stick to the foam and then use any solvent in a spray form or solvent spray paint and spray away. It will etch the foam and leave the rest! VOILA instant stone!

I will try this soon and let everyone know......

·
Hauntless
8,344 Posts
I just had an amazing idea......

Design a tombstone in corel or some cad / drawing program. The vinyl cut the stencil / relief design including letter and stick to the foam and then use any solvent in a spray form or solvent spray paint and spray away. It will etch the foam and leave the rest! VOILA instant stone!

I will try this soon and let everyone know......
Yes, that does work. Herman Secret tried that and it worked great. Here's the link to the thread: http://www.halloweenforum.com/tutorials-step-step/68179-easy-tombstones.html

I somewhat followed his directions (I printed the design on inkjet sticky tag paper) and it worked really good. Later I did a latex stencil and then did the spray paint. Worked nicely as well. Here's the sticker way before I finished the tombstone:

Here's the latex stencil treatment:

·
Registered
955 Posts
The templates are BMP's

I have a PDF print driver. I can print the BMP to a PDF file. Would that help you. If you have Adobe Distiller, you can add a new printer. Add local printer with search turned off. Then add a new port. You should find an adobe port option. Once you add the printer you can set properties like where you want the file to be created and other stuff. Open the template file and print to the adobe print driver. Now you have a PDF file.

Spinman

Spinman

·
Registered
230 Posts
I somewhat followed his directions (I printed the design on inkjet sticky tag paper) and it worked really good. Later I did a latex stencil and then did the spray paint. Worked nicely as well. Here's the sticker way before I finished the tombstone:
Can you elaborate on youe Latex stencil technique?

Thanks
Mike

·
Warlock
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you, Terra! You're the queen. ;) I glad that other people are getting some use out of my inept action :) Thanks for all the great sources.

VW--don't ditch your store boughts. Just move them to the rear or put them where vandalsim, theft or tragic acts of god is more likely. This protects your hand-mades but allows for a larger display. I'm planning to do this for 2009. It also saves the store boughts for other uses. You can cut them up to get appliques for hand-made projects. All it takes is a hacksaw blade or a hot wire cutter.

·
Warlock
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Voodoo Willy--here's that simple stone modification I did.

It started life as a coffin shaped marker. I used the hot wire cutter to remove everything except the cross and then repainted it. It's a good use of cheap easy to fine store bought tombstones. In 2009 these will go closest to the edge of the driveway and closest to the street. So I the wife runs one over trying to back my van down the hill or the local kids decide to test my paintball skills ;) it won't be my custom tombstones taking the hit.

·
Hauntless
8,344 Posts
Can you elaborate on youe Latex stencil technique? Thanks
Mike
Sure :) I went ahead and made a tutorial:

There are many ways to make a stencil. I like the fabric method but I'm sure there are better ways out there.

To get a stencil ready, prepare the backing: Layout interfacing material onto an ironing board. Then following directions on Heat N' Bond, iron-on the 'glue'. In the second picture you can see the 'glue' now on the interfacing (shiny part). The third picture shows you what to look for at the fabric store.

I had found a pattern I liked on the web. I printed it as large as I could using the 'poster' option for printing. I taped the printed pages together and then made the pattern darker with a Sharpie. The first picture shows the backside of the pattern I darked. Put the inked side onto the glued interfacing. Following directions on the Heat N' Bond, iron it to the interfacing. You've now made your paper much stiffer and resilient to the painting you will do on it. In the second picture you will see the pattern showing through the interfacing.

Cut out the pattern.

I used pins to hold the stencil onto the tombstone. Then I dipped a rag into latex paint (any color) and ragged on the paint. You don't have to be perfect here. I did two coats. Let dry.

Now, take your tombstone outside and hit the pattern hard with spray paint. It will start to eat away at the foam and leave the latex painted foam generally alone. It does get in there a bit but I like that!

Now, paint the whole tombstone with two coats of gray Dry-lok. Let dry between coats.

After following my painting technique for making tombstones look ancient: Halloween Forum - Terra's Album: Tutorial: Ancient Tombstones you will see it really makes the effect pop.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts