Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm rebuilding my tombstones and I really want to age them and add moss. I found this photo and I really like the type of moss they did. Does anyone have suggestions on how I can create this look?

Tombstone_with_moss.jpg

·
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are some photos from a great cemetery in Everett. This is the look I want to get. And remember, they need to be able to stay outside and withstand rain.

20140104_105324_resized.jpg

20140104_110723_resized.jpg

20140104_104322_resized.jpg

20140104_105058_resized_1.jpg

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have actually seen this technique done before. The moss you see is actually grass from model railroad kits. I watch a YouTube channel from someone called S.K Austin. He's great and I've learned a lot from him. He has a 2 part tutorial on tombstones and covers the moss technique you have in your picture I quoted. It's about 11 minutes into the video:

Hope this helps.

·
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Below is an image from another method....the concept has some similarities to that of the application of the railroad flock, but I think might have some larger scale applications that could be of value.

The post for the tutorial from Raven's Hollow can be
found here

View attachment 190239
OMG! This is so totally, completely, over-the-top awesome!!!

·
Registered
910 Posts
I love the "flocking" idea but what i have done with my tombstones is, i have gone to a craft supply store and gotten a large bag(s) of spanish moss and simply hot melt glued it to my tombstones. Once it anchored to the stone you can "drape" or "dangle" the moss off the stone to get an even more realistic look.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I love the "flocking" idea but what i have done with my tombstones is, i have gone to a craft supply store and gotten a large bag(s) of spanish moss and simply hot melt glued it to my tombstones. Once it anchored to the stone you can "drape" or "dangle" the moss off the stone to get an even more realistic look.
SPANISH MOSS: Dollar Tree sells decent sized bags of spanish moss for a buck. Look in the floral aisle.

·
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here in the Northwest, we have a specific type of flush, soft moss. Here's an example:

Everett_0001.jpg

The spanish moss is too stringy and isn't full enough to look like the local stuff. What I'm thinking I might try is taking some spray foam and tack that against the tombstone to create some bulk, then do the brush glue and cover it with this version of the Woodland Scenes Course Turf.

woodland_scenes_course_turf.JPG

woodland_scenes_course_turf_detail.JPG

1 - 20 of 23 Posts