Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if it makes a difference if I were to use the white/blue or pink insulation boards. I know they come in about 1.5" to 2" thick as well as 2' or 4' wide. I just was not sure if there was any differences when it comes to engraving such and rasping down etc.

here is the link to the pink
Product Information Error Page

or

here is the link to the blue/white

2" x 4' x 8' R-Tech Expanded Polystyrene R-7.8

·
Hauntless
8,351 Posts
Not sure what that blue/white stuff is but I am familiar with the all blue and all pink foam (same stuff really) and I love it. You can get very detailed in the epitaphs and works really well for the spray-paint aging technique I use. I get the 1 1/2 inch boards and sandwich two of them together to end up with a nice 3 inch thick tombstone.
Good luck :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your insight, If I may ask what do you use to glue them together. Please keep in mind I am new to this halloween props stuff..........

Thanks In Advance

·
Registered
629 Posts
Expanded Polystyrene is styro-foam, and is made up from little beads. it really isn't suited to making tombstones because as you carve it, the beads break off making your tombstone have a severe lack in details. Also, as you try to carve letters and such into it, you would need an extremely sharp razor blade, they would tend to break off. Really this would be quite a mess trust me I found out the hard way, take Terra's advice and use the blue or pink foam, that's the stuff most people here use for the stones they make.

BTW invest in some nice sharp xacto blades they help.

·
Crunchitize Me Cap'n
1,654 Posts
I made some tombstones last year. I just cut out some white Styrofoam (like the bally stuff) in the shape of my tombstones. Thicker pieces 1/2 inch-1inch and bought some thinner stuff to make letter stencils and shapes (skulls crosses, etc.). I tacked my stencils on (with some long nails) and just spray bombed/painted over the letters and shapes with black paint. WARNING: THE PAINT EATS AWAY THE FOAM. USE LIGHTLY. One way I found (this year) to avoid this is to paint the stones in white exterior latex paint and spray bomb/paint that so it doesn't eat away the foam. Although, I like that, it gives it an aged look without cutting cracks into it or busting pieces off.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Expanded Polystyrene is styro-foam, and is made up from little beads. it really isn't suited to making tombstones because as you carve it, the beads break off making your tombstone have a severe lack in details. Also, as you try to carve letters and such into it, you would need an extremely sharp razor blade, they would tend to break off. Really this would be quite a mess trust me I found out the hard way, take Terra's advice and use the blue or pink foam, that's the stuff most people here use for the stones they make.

BTW invest in some nice sharp xacto blades they help.
I used to think the same way about the white stuff but I made a stone this year out of thick pieces by using a stencil and letting the paint eat away the letters. Sometimes you might have to cut and dig around into the foam to get it to eat evenly. I then roll on paint mixed heavily with sand for a hard surface. I read some time ago that someone even mixed cement with their paint. It holds up really well as far as not getting nicked up in storage on my pink and blue stones so I'm hoping for good results on the white beaded too!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I made a crypt this year using the pink insulation you get at a Home Depot or Lowes type store. It's used to insulate home foundations. It comes in various thicknesses. It cuts and sands easily.
I used a product called "Sculpt or Coat" this acts as an adhesive, sealer and sculpt product. It's also tintable. This stuff is awesome. It puts a hard coat over the foam and also protects it from the rain. Add fine sand and it's got a nice texture for rock or stone effect. I added a grey colored tint to it. Perfect.
This foam you cannot just use spray paint on. It will eat away the foam. Good in some spots for the rotted effect.
I purchased another gallon of Scuplt Coat so I can try it on some tombstone I want to make for 2009.

Hope that helps.

Jerry Greene
Cranston, RI 02910
[email protected]
R2-R9.COM

·
Registered
57 Posts
I made a crypt this year using the pink insulation you get at a Home Depot or Lowes type store. It's used to insulate home foundations. It comes in various thicknesses. It cuts and sands easily.
I used a product called "Sculpt or Coat" this acts as an adhesive, sealer and sculpt product. It's also tintable. This stuff is awesome. It puts a hard coat over the foam and also protects it from the rain. Add fine sand and it's got a nice texture for rock or stone effect. I added a grey colored tint to it. Perfect.
This foam you cannot just use spray paint on. It will eat away the foam. Good in some spots for the rotted effect.
I purchased another gallon of Scuplt Coat so I can try it on some tombstone I want to make for 2009.

Hope that helps.

Jerry Greene
Cranston, RI 02910
[email protected]
R2-R9.COM

Do you have pics of your tomestones?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I only made one tombstone this year. The crypt took up all my free time.
Can you tell me where this idea came from?
It was made for my neice and nephew. They love this movie.

Jerry Greene

·
Registered
109 Posts
+1 to Blue Foam Board

I spent almost two months worth of weekends/nights covered in blue foam board gibs. Here are some random prep pics, tools used, glue (tightbond wood glue I think...but just found out there's foam board specific glue *doh*). Just keep practicing. I made a bunch of headstones last year and upgraded to the hanging "S" you can see in the photos. That was a fun one to make.

·
Registered
591 Posts

Hope that helps.

Jerry Greene
Cranston, RI 02910
[email protected]
R2-R9.COM
So is this Sculpt or Coat like a paste or more like a paint? I was reading about it's uses and had a couple of thoughts for it if it's more like a paint(brushable).

·
Registered
18 Posts
It is a little thicker than laytex paint. You can brush it on with a regular paint brush. I used foam brushes only because it was easier to get into the cracks and it allowed me to put on a thicker coat. And I didnt want brush strokes visable.

It looks white, but dries clear. It is tintable.

Jerry Greene
[email protected]

1 - 20 of 25 Posts