Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Looking for a cheap idea to light my tombstones. I was thinking about trying those push lights from the dollar store but I really want to do colored lights to add to the eerie-ness. Working with a small budget and not a huge amount of free time. Open for suggestions please. thanks in advance! :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
if you can get a clamp light:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Woods-60-Watt-Incandescent-Clamp-Light-with-Aluminum-Reflector-with-6-ft-Cord-0160/204667690?cm_mmc=Shopping|Base&gclid=CMPw56O8-8cCFUiFfgodiIsFjQ&gclsrc=aw.ds
And a blue CFL bulb:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Feit-Electric-60W-Equivalent-Blue-Spiral-CFL-Light-Bulb-BPESL13T-B/100539203?cm_mmc=Shopping|VF&gclid=CMuFw9G8-8cCFQNsfgodIM8Bkw&gclsrc=aw.ds
Then mount the clamp light low and have it shine upward so it casts spooky shadows and gives a more ominous feel. I did this exact thing on a whim to light up a skeleton and it was the best looking prop on the lawn. Mounting the light low as opposed to high up really improves the spooky feel.
Here's a picture of the tombstone vibe that you could achieve with the upward-shining blue light:
http://new.hollywoodgothique.com/halloween-haunt-odyssey-2014-simi-valley-and-thousand-oaks/

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if you can get a clamp light:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Woods-60-Watt-Incandescent-Clamp-Light-with-Aluminum-Reflector-with-6-ft-Cord-0160/204667690?cm_mmc=Shopping|Base&gclid=CMPw56O8-8cCFUiFfgodiIsFjQ&gclsrc=aw.ds
And a blue CFL bulb:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Feit-Electric-60W-Equivalent-Blue-Spiral-CFL-Light-Bulb-BPESL13T-B/100539203?cm_mmc=Shopping|VF&gclid=CMuFw9G8-8cCFQNsfgodIM8Bkw&gclsrc=aw.ds
Then mount the clamp light low and have it shine upward so it casts spooky shadows and gives a more ominous feel. I did this exact thing on a whim to light up a skeleton and it was the best looking prop on the lawn. Mounting the light low as opposed to high up really improves the spooky feel.
Here's a picture of the tombstone vibe that you could achieve with the upward-shining blue light:
http://new.hollywoodgothique.com/halloween-haunt-odyssey-2014-simi-valley-and-thousand-oaks/
That is exactly the look I'm hoping for! Did you need a seperate light for each tombstone? What did you mount yours from?

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
We do a couple methods, but two really cheap ones that I think work well ~

1. The soda can lighting method -
http://celticmommy.blogspot.com/2010/10/97-cent-soda-can-lights.html

We tried this & find it works pretty well, because we don't let anyone walk around our graveyard. Spray painting the outside of the cans black really helps to camouflage them at night. We've been reusing the same strand of lights with cans for a couple of years now. They get a bit dented but still serve their purpose!

2. We buy the book light clamps at Dollar Tree and sometimes will add a colored cellophane film, or even paint the lens so the light looks colored. We'll even stick these kinds of lights under the neck of a prop or in their hair to help add a little light.

Both of these solutions are more for individual tombstones rather than lighting a whole cemetery, but we use them in conjunction with other larger spotlights too.

·
Here to burgle your turts
2,305 Posts
ˆJenn&Matt, the link looks kind of brilliant. So only one bulb per can? It looks from the photos on the site that they've removed bulbs from the string between tombstones. So I'm guessing they're using the older style lights rather than LEDs? Is that what you use?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sorry, I should have clarified that the picture isn't of my house, it's just one that I used as a model for mine. However, I can tell you that you really only need 1 or 2 lights if your headstones are clumped fairly close together and it's reasonably dark outside. Focus the light on your/best/spookiest/funniest headstone and position the others so they get a little of the residual light, and the effect will still work well.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
ˆJenn&Matt, the link looks kind of brilliant. So only one bulb per can? It looks from the photos on the site that they've removed bulbs from the string between tombstones. So I'm guessing they're using the older style lights rather than LEDs? Is that what you use?
We bought a strand of so-called Christmas lights from Target one year specifically for this soda can set-up. I think the bulbs are called C4's or C7's or something? Lemme go google that so I can be sure.

Okay, yes - the ones we use are clear C7 lights. Target will start to stock them soon - you might be able to grab some before Halloween because that's how we got ours in the past. Get outdoor ones.

It's only one bulb per can. We actually have a pretty densely packed graveyard area, so I think we don't remove any bulbs, but I don't actually remember. DH is big on safety, so if removing a bulb would make the string less safe, then we probably don't do that. We kind of pile up a little dirt, grass, or leaves so that we can angle the soda can the way that we want, but there are also light stakes that you can buy that clip onto the C7 bulbs and then you can put the stake part in the ground.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Jenn & Matt, this is a neat idea, especially because it greatly increases the number of lights you can have, plus the bulbs have subtle light which is perfect for a tombstone. I use a string of Malibu lights for lawn props but that only gives me 4, plus they're pretty bright. The Malibu lights work well for primary props like an old Western sign I have, but they're too bright for a tombstone, so your Christmas light idea is perfect.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I can't take the credit for the idea - I totally copied the original poster myself! But I do love to spread the idea around because it's such a great one - it's cheap, it works, and it's easy. Can't get much better than that!

·
Registered
15 Posts
ˆJenn&Matt, the link looks kind of brilliant. So only one bulb per can? It looks from the photos on the site that they've removed bulbs from the string between tombstones.
The BIG problem with that technique is by removing a significant number of bulbs, they are increasing the amount of current going through the remaining ones, which will cause them to run hotter and brighter and fail more quickly. Also, the link shows the empty sockets without any seals, which means live current is exposed on each, which is a safety hazard (if finger for whatever reason gets into a socket or dry, combustible matter such a leave gets in there, or if outside conditions are wet, which could cause a short).

·
Here to burgle your turts
2,305 Posts
Yeah, I was thinking about the hazards there as well, especially with the amount of moisture we get here this time of year (and we have a tough time keeping kids away from things.) But hadn't considered that the missing (and I'm assuming non-working) bulbs would cause the lights to fail more quickly. Thanks for pointing that out.

Still interesting stuff if you can work it (maybe focus multiple bulbs towards each stone so all are used.)

·
Registered
63 Posts
I worked with the same idea one year. Used the small Christmas tree lights in a book shelf for Halloween. Pulled a few bulbs out in strategic locations and BAM blew the light string. After 2 attempts finally got smart and bought a dimmer switch from the local hardware store plunged the lights through it and Wha La. Success if you use this method start with the switch at the lowest setting and turn thins up slowly until you get the desired effect.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So this year we're hoping to expiriment with making wood tombstones because A: The wind just gets so unpredictable here, and B: Because I've had bad luck with my foam tombstones breaking.
So my thought was to start with a basic piece of plywood, paint and give it detail, add 2×4 pieces around the base for some weight and stability. Then to light I thought about drilling a hole into the piece of 2×4 and inserting a waterproof LED light that changs colors. Will have to expiriment and see what works. If anyone here has used a similar method, how did it work for you?

·
Registered
170 Posts
i just use spot/flood lights such as pictured.
Except I try to get ones that have plugs on them so you can plug the next one into it as well and "daisy chain" them
1a1.jpg

then i use colored flood lights (that come in two sizes) or CFL bulbs. But if I use CFL bulbs I usually make a surround around it using like a yogurt tub painted black

·
Registered
170 Posts
We do a couple methods, but two really cheap ones that I think work well ~

1. The soda can lighting method -
http://celticmommy.blogspot.com/2010/10/97-cent-soda-can-lights.html

We tried this & find it works pretty well, because we don't let anyone walk around our graveyard. Spray painting the outside of the cans black really helps to camouflage them at night. We've been reusing the same strand of lights with cans for a couple of years now. They get a bit dented but still serve their purpose!

2. We buy the book light clamps at Dollar Tree and sometimes will add a colored cellophane film, or even paint the lens so the light looks colored. We'll even stick these kinds of lights under the neck of a prop or in their hair to help add a little light.

Both of these solutions are more for individual tombstones rather than lighting a whole cemetery, but we use them in conjunction with other larger spotlights too.

I think I am going to try this idea not the first time I seen it ....just kinda forgot about it lol

If I have any empty sockets I will just seal them

1 - 20 of 26 Posts