Halloween Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a few people recently ask me how I do the lettering on my tombstones so I thought I would put a quick little video together showing my favorite technique for doing so. Like any part of making tombstones for Halloween everyone has their own ways of doing every aspect of making them, this just happens to be the one I like the most.

·
Hungry For Death
729 Posts
I love it. This video really made me understand what is actually going on. Thanks.

Gotta get my Foam blocks, and start creating Tombstones.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have considered the foam gravestones for years, but I live in Western New York and almost every Halloween and the days/weeks before we get winds and rain that would blow down and/or ruin anything foam. Anyone have suggestions for sop porting foam gravestones in wind gusts of 30mph (there's at least a couple days of winds like this every year)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Wondering what you technique is for the paint. Assuming you are painting the letters with the black first and then the rest? Is there a special paint you are using which allows it to adhere to the foam or just generic primer and then regular outside paint?

Thanks,

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have considered the foam gravestones for years, but I live in Western New York and almost every Halloween and the days/weeks before we get winds and rain that would blow down and/or ruin anything foam. Anyone have suggestions for sop porting foam gravestones in wind gusts of 30mph (there's at least a couple days of winds like this every year)
Not sure about everyone else... But before gluing the foam boards together, I cut two 8 to 12 inch long channels from the bottom of the middle piece up to about center on the middle board. Then embed 1/2 inch PVC pipe in the channel and glue the Tombstone together. I use the now embedded PVC pipe as guide and stability chambers. Pound some small rebar into the ground and slide the PVC over the rebar. I use 18 inch long rebar, with half in the ground and half in the embedded pipe. Never have had any problems with weather moving any of my Tombstones.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wondering what you technique is for the paint. Assuming you are painting the letters with the black first and then the rest? Is there a special paint you are using which allows it to adhere to the foam or just generic primer and then regular outside paint?

Thanks,
I am using regular latex house paint that I got from the oops section of homedepot. I will make a video showing how I do my painting technique hopefully this upcoming weekend if the weather allows it!

·
The Undead Diva
549 Posts
Check out Terra's tutorial on tombstone building. She embeds pvc in the layers and uses them to slide over rebar that gets hammered into the ground. Mine were made that way (Thank you Terra) and I have never had one blow over....I can't say the same for my Spirit Halloween ones. :(

·
Registered
443 Posts
Bigant, your video was the final motivation to make tombstones this year. Thank you!

One I did tonight in 30 minutes with Dremel plus pattern about 30 minutes to design/trace, another 90 minutes to pick out the foam I didn't want but at least I get to watch TV at the same time).

garden3.jpg

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
15 Participants
Mistress of the Abyss
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing