Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What fonts do you use for your tombstones? Are they standard fonts or did you have to download them from someplace special?

I'm trying to six tombstones this year--my first. I think I'm going to use French Script MT, Gabriola, and Dauphin (all Word fonts), but I'd like other suggestions, too.

These are going to be "serious" tombstones, with names and dates of actual people. I'm also interested in more fanciful fonts, like you'd use for writing "GET OUT" in blood on a window.

So let's have a font showcase!

·
Registered
232 Posts
I use several different fonts. Mostly from http://www.dafont.com/
There are some ornaments available as well that are perfect for stones.
All free!
I'm a geek about fonts, so I'll play around to see which ones work together to get the look I like for each stone.

·
Here to burgle your turts
2,305 Posts
I don't get too wacky with fonts. I like Gloucester MT Extra Condensed. It's got a low x-height which gives it a bit of elegance and you can cram a fair bit in because it's narrow. It's based on a font from the 1890s. See the bottom of the Larry Talbot image. It's available with MS word I think.

The Dracula font is Copperplate Gothic, also available with Word.

I gotta say by the time I'm done, I usually wish I'd used Helvetica. I spend a lot of time swearing at serifs. 6 seems like a good goal for a first year. We did six last year and it took a lot longer than we expected. We had done a couple the year before.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,826 Posts
I do graphic design, so I have LOTS of fonts... for really "Halloween-y" fonts, I have some tried and true classics, like:

A Charming Font (elegant gothic)

Allegheny (good for Pirate/gothic scripts)

Blackwood Castle (old english/gothic)

Ghastly Panic (nice scratchy handwriting)

Green Fuz (awesome all-around "scary" font)

Haunting Attraction (super elegant capitals with a creepy vibe)

For regular serif fonts, I use either New Baskerville or Weiss, as they are elegant, classic, and easy to carve. For san serif, I like Univers (condensed or regular) and Copperplate.

·
Imitation Imagineer
1,114 Posts
I'm using Ravenscroft this year (haven't used it for several seasons, so it's fresh for me again). For ease of reference, the image below is a screen grab out of a Word document using Ravenscroft.

I feel like it allows for a subtle nod to The Haunted Mansion no matter what I'm doing.
:)

Leota Font.JPG

·
Registered
629 Posts
I'm going to resurrect this old thread. I've got a "new" method I want to try to make my type on my tombstones and need to get some stencils, so what would be a good source for the stencils and in what font for a primitive New England tombstone?

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,826 Posts
I'm going to resurrect this old thread. I've got a "new" method I want to try to make my type on my tombstones and need to get some stencils, so what would be a good source for the stencils and in what font for a primitive New England tombstone?

New Baskerville, Engravers MT, or even Times New Roman would all have the right look for an old New England stone font. As far as stencils, I used to just print the epitaph out full size in solid black then lightly mist the back with spray glue (also known as spray mount - repositionable glue in an aerosol can), let that dry well so it doesn't eat holes in the foam, then smooth down onto the foam. I'd follow the letter outlines using a sharp exacto to cut through the paper and the foam. Worked really well for me. I also did the same method using a wood burner, but for precise, the knife worked best. Holding the blade at a 45 degree angle along each side as you cut, you can get the real incised look too. Like this:

http://www.heritageinterp.com/Byways/Cemetery_-_Red_Oak_Cemetery_-_Ripley_OH.jpg

·
Registered
629 Posts
New Baskerville, Engravers MT, or even Times New Roman would all have the right look for an old New England stone font. As far as stencils, I used to just print the epitaph out full size in solid black then lightly mist the back with spray glue (also known as spray mount - repositionable glue in an aerosol can), let that dry well so it doesn't eat holes in the foam, then smooth down onto the foam. I'd follow the letter outlines using a sharp exacto to cut through the paper and the foam. Worked really well for me. I also did the same method using a wood burner, but for precise, the knife worked best. Holding the blade at a 45 degree angle along each side as you cut, you can get the real incised look too. Like this:

http://www.heritageinterp.com/Byways/Cemetery_-_Red_Oak_Cemetery_-_Ripley_OH.jpg
See I'm trying something a little different, so will need some heavier plastic stencils.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Ok, maybe if I give away the secret of what I'm trying that will help. I know about the printable fonts and where to get them on-line. I'm going to use my sandblaster to cut the letters and designs into the pink foam. I already know the sand cuts the foam, but it also cuts paper, so I need heavy plastic or light metal stencils like what you'd use to paint a stencil with.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Ok, maybe if I give away the secret of what I'm trying that will help. I know about the printable fonts and where to get them on-line. I'm going to use my sandblaster to cut the letters and designs into the pink foam. I already know the sand cuts the foam, but it also cuts paper, so I need heavy plastic or light metal stencils like what you'd use to paint a stencil with.
I'm also curious if there's a good font for that style, but as to the stencils, you might try looking up your local hackerspace; if they have a laser cutter, you can make a custom stencil out of acrylic or thin plywood. Looks like there's one in Worcester.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Sorry, don't mean to be dense, but what's a hackerspace?? OK, google is your friend...I found it, interesting, I've never heard of something like that, I'll look them up and see if someone would be interested in, maybe cutting some stencils, in the meantime, I found some very thin plastic Martha Stewart Monogram Flourish font stencils to play with, I'll try a test this week with something like the # sign or one of the other symbols to see if they work.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,826 Posts
If you really want to go authentic, and I mean really authentic... you gotta use Hobo. It's as real as it gets.

:D

(and you'll get super bonus point for making every designer that is any good at their job cringe in horror)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts