Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, I have been having fun carving and making tombstones. But I am having a minor issue.

I could not find any of the pink or blue insulation foam here in San Jose, Ca.

I did see the regular white stryofoam, but didn't take a second look at it because I know it breaks real easily and doesn't carve well.

What I did find was a denser white foam insulation that had a big "R MAX" logo on it and it has a silver foil like lining on each side of it. The label with the barcode says "R max Thermasheath" and it has an r value of 9.4

Anyway, the lining is kind of cool for masking and drawing designs and stuff, but that's not the problem. The problem is, I am trying to use the technique where you mask your raised design and lettering, and then use spraypaint to etch into the rest of the stone. Unfortunately the spraypaint is not eating the foam hardly at all. I am wondering if anyone can help tell me if I need to use different spraypaint, or if there is something else that might do the same thing, or if this kind of foam most likely just won't work like that. I REALLY like the look and effect that this method produces. Hopefully someone here has used this kind of foam and can help me out.

I am jealous of all you who can get the pink or blue stuff, I bet it's cheaper too. I got a 4' x 8' sheet that was 1 3/4" thick for $25. I was considering 2 sheets, but it was just out of my budget.

any help is mucho appreciated. thanks.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Maybe you could try a stronger solvent like acetone, MEK or some type of paint thinner. You can get those from your local Home Supply store. If you know a painter, I'm sure they have some nasty stuff around!

Or maybe try some gasoline first to be cheap (insert normal cautions for using a VERY flammable liquid.....well ventilated area, OUTSIDE, no flame or spark, etc). You could brush it on and see how it works.

·
1031 Props
1,052 Posts
Or you could use a would burning tool, but it will take longer going that route.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I think what you have is called Polyisocyanurate or polyiso foam. If that's what you got then it should be a good substitute for your tombstones. Acetone should work well for the eating away at the foam as well the other methods of using the pink foam.
this site here makes and sells tombstones from this type of foam I believe. I've never bought from him but he gets good results from it and seems to do top notch work. polyiso tombstones

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I MAY have some acetone or paint thinner hanging around somewhere, I'll have to give that a shot. I realize now after the fact, that I should have verified weather it was extruded polystyrene. I will see if I can find weather it is Polyiso foam.

I had friends and family all making stones last night, and we are continuing today. I have a craft-style xacto knife kit, and a dremel with the router attatchment, so we have other options as well. Thanks for the tips everyone!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so I tried both acetone and paint thinner on the foam and nothing will dissolve it like expected. I guess I have to give up and just carve it out. Oh well.

I'll have to post some pictures soon. I'm going to take some progress pictures, but I'm pretty sure everyone here knows how to make tombstones so I'll focus on the finished ones.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts