Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Warlock
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am using a ring originally intended to make ceiling fans look more Victorian as a decorative feature on a tombstone. I used it intact [as a full circle] instead of using a semi-circle at the rounded top of the stone because I wasn't sure how to cut it without cracking. I drill holes for screws to help hold it while the glue dried and the holes cracked. Has anyone else used these things? Am I just unlucky/unskilled? I'd appreciate hearing any advice.

Pics will follow [eventually].

These things are cool. I found them in the lighting/ceiling fan area of the local home improvement store.They come in a couple sizes, are fairly light weight, and don't cost too much. I paid $6 for a 8" diameter, but I got detail I couldn't have done myself in a cost effective way. I'd love to be able to use them at the top edge of tombstones for a dramatic look as well as giving me a matched pair for a husband/wife grave site.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I've never used them before but, my first thought was that you screwed them down too tight. As long as the glue dried and holds I would use a filler, sand it down a little and then paint the whole thing to match. Nobody will even notice it unless they get down and go over it inch by inch. Great idea by the way!

·
Warlock
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think that was it because the holes cracked while I was drilling. Anyway, I may have found an answer. My cousin who works construction suggested a jigsaw w/ a fine-toothed plastic cutting blade and a roll of masking tape. He said to tape the cut line to inhibit cracking and fraying of the plastic at the edges. I'm scrambling to get my projects finished for this year so i might not get back to this until after the 31st, but I'll post results of this technique once I've tried it.
Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Remember what I always say - you can't screw up a prop, you just have a change in design. Old tombstones are rarely in mint condition!

(And great idea with the medallion, I never would've thought of that!)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts