Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how you all secure your tomb stones in the yard so they don't blow over. I made mine out of foam board so the topple with the slightest breeze. This was my husbands cure, strap it to a brick- I hate it! help!

·
Registered
432 Posts
i straiten out about 12" of thick wire. Put it half way into the ground, and then push the tombstone onto it so it pokes ahole in the bottom and goes up into the tombstone. I use 2 per stone to secure it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We thought of doing just that but were afraid the wire or dowel would poke through the tomb stone with time. Have you had any trouble with that happening?

·
I am the last.
923 Posts
I think the life of our tombstones because of wind damage is about 3 seasons. Not sure where you are in MN, but down here we are on the edge of the tornado alley. Actually had touch downs close to us at like 3-4am last year. Was such fun. 2 Idiots outside holding the house together, bracing it with whatever left over wood we had on the morning of Halloween. :) Ahhhh, good times, good times.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Mine are literally STAKED to the ground.. I bought some rebar, cut it into 16" pieces, hammered it inot the ground.. Then drilled out my tombstone with a spade bit, (carefully) inserted some glue and put a 6" piece of PVC pipe in.. It fits snuggly over the rebar and is VERY secure.. We had some severe winds last year and my tombstones stood strong!!

You can pull the rebar out and reuse it next season!

·
Fallen Angel
7,061 Posts
Shadow - I also secure all my tombstones with the same pvc/rebar method and have never had any issues with wind. I live in the very windy farm towns of northern IL, and this is the best securing method I have found.

·
Fallen Angel
7,061 Posts
Yup, gathered that info Haunted! ;)

My parents are in Plainfield. I live in Montgomery, (a little village west of Aurora, north of Oswego) but spend the work week in the city.
We'll have to stop by your haunt.......have you ever been up to Ravens Grinn, the year round haunt up in NW IL? I had fun at that one!

·
Registered
829 Posts
We did the same as Mastahh with our tombstones. PVC and Rebar.

Only we didn't glue the PVC into the drilled holes, we squirted some Great Stuff foam as deep as possible, then stuffed the PVC in. It held very secure, and we are always windy here.

I even made a four foot Celtic Cross and only had on piece of PVC/rebar and it went through a good October storm - the kind where there are six freighters in the bay - with no problem. I thought it was going to snap the top off, but it held!

·
Registered
695 Posts
ditto...

I use the same method - PVC and wooden dowels. Not one problem yet, unless you mean the teenagers that stole a couple last year. I have something planned for them this year if they come back...muhahahaha!

Here's basically what I do:

Here are a few that have stood up to the Colorado weather for the last couple years:

as you can imagine something wonderful jumps up from behind this one

·
Registered
695 Posts
I was thinking I would probably tap into the city feed and light them up with 4,160 volts if they touch them. Just kidding...I had heard someone here on the forum use fishing line tactics to deter theft, but what I will probably do is since I use wooden dowels and not rebar, I will secure each dowel to each piece of pvc with a wood screw through the back of the tombstone. Paint the screws black (or use drywall screws, they're already black) and you won't be able to see them. I also plan not to bring everything out until that weekend before Halloween. I'm sure if they really want them, they will take them no matter, but hopefully this will deter them. I also (if the other two were'nt enough) plan to keep the yard under surveilance with these cameras that I picked up at a yard sale. So, I have a few tricks up my sleeve this year.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
LOL ~I like your 1st idea best. We have been setting everything up Halloween day for fear that someone would steal or damage something, but it is just getting to be too much work for one day. you mentioned something about fishing line, what does that involve?

·
Registered
695 Posts
Someone here said that they tied/fastened/secured fishing line to each tombstone, going from one to the next in daisy-chain fashion. Their philosophy was pretty much if you're going to take one...you better be preapared to take them all. This sounds like a lot of work though. And since I go out in the yard about a million times to make final adjustments, etc. I can imagine I would be the victim more than anyone else.

·
cheap and easy
2,294 Posts
I use 1/2 inch pvc. I drive the pvc into the ground and into the base of the Tomb stone. By staking the base to the ground you aren't taking any chance of spilting your Tomb stone.

I can't remember a year when we didn't have at lease 30mph winds in Ky, during Oct. Sometimes higher, and I've never had a problem by them blowing over or away.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts