Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I built my first Toe Pincher this weekend....working on pics. I'm planning on animating it by having the lid open and close. I'm planning on using a electric drill as the motor to open and close. Can anyone offer any advice on what the best way to open and close the lid in this manner would be?

Thanks.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are a couple ways around that. Personally I like the idea of there being someone in my coffin. So I'm using a severed arm prop with a realistic looking hand. It will look like the hand is pushing the lid open. Depending upon what mechanism I decide to use I was going to have a piece of PVC or wood going through the hand and arm and connecting to the drill. This will then push the lid open using the hand and masking the lifting arm used to push it open.

I have also seen a skeleton arm used with a piece of rebar going through the hand and arm.

If you don't want an arm opening it then you may not have many options of hiding the lifting arm.

·
Registered
144 Posts
you can mount the armature 'outside' the coffin...perhaps. imagine a bar bolted across the top of your lid and extending of the edge for a foot or so. Now when you pull 'down' on that bar, the lid would raise. a drop cloth, netting, webbing, etc can hide the bar and motor below.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey JD,

Last night I just hung my Flying Crank Ghost and it looks great. Now I am also thinking about building a toe pincher with a motion sensor and an electric drill motor. I wish I had bought another slow RPM motor that I used for the FCG, because I am not sure an electric drill motor would work. I am using these two websites for inspiration:

(can't post links yet so I will post twice - new to the forum)

I am running out of time but if I do build it I will make the crank arm out of 1" aluminum instead of wood. I plan on using zip ties to activate at a very slow speed. I also plan on building the coffin as a closed box and then after it is built, cutting the lid open with a jig saw about 3" from the top of the coffin. I probably will not have time to build but have to work on it next year. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey JD,

Last night I just hung my Flying Crank Ghost and it looks great. Now I am also thinking about building a toe pincher with a motion sensor and an electric drill motor. I wish I had bought another slow RPM motor that I used for the FCG, because I am not sure an electric drill motor would work. I am using these two websites for inspiration:

Photo Album

http://www.*****************/projects/toe_pincher_coffins.php

I am running out of time but if I do build it I will make the crank arm out of 1" aluminum instead of wood. I plan on using zip ties to activate at a very slow speed. I also plan on building the coffin as a closed box and then after it is built, cutting the lid open with a jig saw about 3" from the top of the coffin. I probably will not have time to build but have to work on it next year. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
187 Posts
what I did with mine is I used a wiper motor and kept the orginal arm and cut out a cam (like on the cindybob website) I put a red light & fog machine and it's all tripped by a hacked motion sensor light..I also cut out a "cross" on the door and wrapped a rusty chain around it..When activated it sounds creepy as heck and is plenty loud. So the door really doesn't open but it's like a knocker.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts