Halloween Forum banner

81 - 100 of 104 Posts

Registered
How long does it take you to crave those? Where do you get the pumpkins 馃巸 from?
pretty awesome job!
Thank you! I get the pumpkins from Michaels. It's about 10-15 mins to make my sketch and about an hour to an hour and a half to carve using a regular old exacto knife. I usually put on a movie while I carve and I'm usually done before the end.

Registered
Finished my cheap $60 graveyard columns. Added the solar lanterns just now. The paint streaks look so much more magnified in the photo. In person they are actually more subtle.
Also made a little stand to put the tot candy. Need to modify it somehow to fit plenty of candy. Gonna get another skeleton to man the cart lol.
1D9D05E9-754A-4529-8C50-F83A6538D61A.jpeg
4EE71DA7-F57E-4606-B996-DB9C35CEA991.jpeg
B4C3629B-4498-4D4F-A9B4-D39A1CE3768A.jpeg

Registered
Well, it was more like on Friday and Saturday I did...

Attachments

Registered
It's been a few days since I have posted any of our updates so while this was not all done 'today' it is the work my wife and I have done over the last few days. It's starting to come along and still needs a ton more work to get to the goal line.

Lot's of improvements to the restaurant / bar area and the jail cell area's. We also decided to enclose the front entrance this year.

-K

Registered
Discussion Starter #96
It's been a few days since I have posted any of our updates so while this was not all done 'today' it is the work my wife and I have done over the last few days. It's starting to come along and still needs a ton more work to get to the goal line.

Lot's of improvements to the restaurant / bar area and the jail cell area's. We also decided to enclose the front entrance this year.

View attachment 740817 View attachment 740818 View attachment 740819 View attachment 740820 View attachment 740821 View attachment 740822

View attachment 740823

-K
That looks amazing! Question-
How did you stabilize your walk-way /entrance? Trying to convince my husband to make one but we are concern of wind.
please share any information. Thank you!
Looks great!

Registered
That looks amazing! Question-
How did you stabilize your walk-way /entrance? Trying to convince my husband to make one but we are concern of wind.
please share any information. Thank you!
Looks great!
Both sides have an upper board that is overhead, We put multiple screw points to prevent twisting. Then we have cross beams (also 1x1) we put to those boards against the vertical boards. This also adds extra resistance against twisting or sideways collapse. The front boards also have sideways support and we added supports to the rails. I will try to remember to take some more detailed pictures today and post them for you on how we did it. We live in a pretty windy area as well (sometimes we get gusts up to 60 mph) but this year has been mild. You can always add a foot board and the bottoms that go outward (away from the actual people walking path) and toss a sandbag on each of the 'feet', these are bags are pretty cheap (we get the play sand) from Home Depot. This year we did not do that because the wind in the forecast is all sub 15 mph, although we can add it easily if it changes.

This is the first year we enclosed it with tarping and have not had to much of a problem. In past years without tarping it has withstood 60 mph wind gusts. The unit is completely free standing and we just cut the wood to fit just under the overhang by our garage door. It's just standing up against our display as if it were attached but it isn't. You can easily hide this by simply attaching a piece of black plastic tarping that you affix to connect the two while the garage door is open. We still can close our garage doors by having it free standing the way we do and no one really notices.

All in all the total cost for this walkway was very little and we have reused it year after year and it is basically made from cheap lumber from Home Depot and the tarping is just rolls of painters tarping (in black) from home depot that you can buy relatively cheaply by the large roll. We save all of our lumber year over year and tarping year over year and rarely need to replace it. Our walkway is 16 feet long, the rails are made up of two 16 foot 2x4's from HD.

I'll try to post more detailed pics of it tomorrow since I will not get a chance to be back on here today.

-K

edit:: It did take two of us (my wife and I) to build this upright, I really suggest three if you can get a third person for stabilizing as you build it up.

Registered
Discussion Starter #98
Both sides have an upper board that is overhead, We put multiple screw points to prevent twisting. Then we have cross beams (also 1x1) we put to those boards against the vertical boards. This also adds extra resistance against twisting or sideways collapse. The front boards also have sideways support and we added supports to the rails. I will try to remember to take some more detailed pictures today and post them for you on how we did it. We live in a pretty windy area as well (sometimes we get gusts up to 60 mph) but this year has been mild. You can always add a foot board and the bottoms that go outward (away from the actual people walking path) and toss a sandbag on each of the 'feet', these are bags are pretty cheap (we get the play sand) from Home Depot. This year we did not do that because the wind in the forecast is all sub 15 mph, although we can add it easily if it changes.

This is the first year we enclosed it with tarping and have not had to much of a problem. In past years without tarping it has withstood 60 mph wind gusts. The unit is completely free standing and we just cut the wood to fit just under the overhang by our garage door. It's just standing up against our display as if it were attached but it isn't. You can easily hide this by simply attaching a piece of black plastic tarping that you affix to connect the two while the garage door is open. We still can close our garage doors by having it free standing the way we do and no one really notices.

All in all the total cost for this walkway was very little and we have reused it year after year and it is basically made from cheap lumber from Home Depot and the tarping is just rolls of painters tarping (in black) from home depot that you can buy relatively cheaply by the large roll. We save all of our lumber year over year and tarping year over year and rarely need to replace it. Our walkway is 16 feet long, the rails are made up of two 16 foot 2x4's from HD.

I'll try to post more detailed pics of it tomorrow since I will not get a chance to be back on here today.

-K

edit:: It did take two of us (my wife and I) to build this upright, I really suggest three if you can get a third person for stabilizing as you build it up.
Thank you!!! Awesome!

Registered
Thank you!!! Awesome!
Ok I went and snapped some shots and figured I had better post them before I forget so here they are. Keep in mind the upp cross beams you see that run overy the handrails are not needed at all if you are not tarping it in, we only added those this year to keep the tarping from slouching down to much.

-K

81 - 100 of 104 Posts