Halloween Forum banner

41 - 60 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey, great timing! I just got done assembling my pirate ship, and she's made port here in Selkie Cove!

I would absolutely get the side of the light covered up, just cut out a block of construction paper and tape it over that side of the lense if its the squared off kind like I'm envisioning from your statement. That yellow tinge seriously affects the awesome color scheme you have.

By the way, I love your forum "handle", Keltset! My favorite Troll from The Sword of Shannara! I hope you don't have that rascal Panamon Creel helping you out, he'll put holes in your sails with that pike of a hand! Your pirate ship looks awesome, and kudos for building it from scratch!
Looks great! I'm absolutely obsessed with pirate anything, thus my crazy display and the ridiculous amount of time that we put into setting it up. We try to avoid buying stuff to keep it unique but that HD prop is something that we really loved and almost acquired ourselves for a different location. The idea for our pirate ship originate with us trying to find a way to hide our crummy looking trailer for halloween when we couldn't park it somewhere else and has become a major prop and no longer needs to be parked elsewhere.

Creel is no longer around, last I heard from him he had locked himself away in his smith... I heard he was working on sword, greater than the one his ancestors crafted. Very likely the reason that {me} ship still sails the black seas! (Also, Terry Brooks is likely the reason I have an obsession with pirates as when I read The Sword of Shannara [and the entire continued series] as a little kid it always gave me the medieval swashbuckling vibe)

It’s using Spider Hill’s prop turner mech, which uses a wiper motor.
Thank you! I will look it up. I have used the oscillating fan motors for side to side swinging before and rotisserie for our fire spits before and it has worked fantastically. The idea of using a wiper motor is beyond excellent, wish I had thought of that before.

-------

Still not enough time in the day but the Black Water Cove entrance has started to go up along with the new jail cell this year!

-K

Arg ye best be stayin' way from me rum!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thank you! I will look it up. I have used the oscillating fan motors for side to side swinging before and rotisserie for our fire spits before and it has worked fantastically. The idea of using a wiper motor is beyond excellent, wish I had thought of that before

Monster Guts and FrightProps also sell wiper motors and speed controllers if you are going to build your own turning mech. Spider Hill has a few mechs with motors and some components that can take hours of extra work out of a project. He may have motors sold separately as well but they are not on the site. Speed control and transformers are though.

If it is within the scope of what you are building, I highly recommend his stuff. I don’t have the time to reinvent it if it’s a wheel I’m looking for. I ordered a ground breaker mech from him the other day for something other than a ground breaker, but it looks like it will work perfectly for what I need. His Spider Joints are very handy.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Got alot of my display put out. Still have fog machines and a few more props to put out. Anyhow, here it is so far.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Got alot of my display put out. Still have fog machines and a few more props to put out. Anyhow, here it is so far.
Looks amazing! Love the display and the lighting is awesome! What kind of lighting do you use and where did you get it from?

·
Registered
817 Posts
Looks amazing! Love the display and the lighting is awesome! What kind of lighting do you use and where did you get it from?
Thank you!! Those are color changing led flood lights. I use 20, 35 and 60 watt. They have them on Amazon. I hand made the wooden stands they are on.

41 - 60 of 104 Posts