Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
Yes, Yes! You must, you must!

(Because I want to see good moss application techniques! :p )

I know, it's selfish of me. :D

Actually, I think the question of moss can be answered by defining your theme. For myself, I really want to get a Nunhead Cemetery theme, so I'll need lots of moss and greens. Are you going for a wet, overgrown graveyard? Perhaps a deep south, New Orleans hanging moss sorta look?

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
My advise? For what it's worth - go with Ivy. Artificial Ivy. Cheap. Easy to apply. Re-usable. Looks a lot like the real thing - especially after dark!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Moss is great!

A while back (a couple of years maybe) I saw a recipe online for making moss grow that included moss, beer and a paintbrush. No time to look it up right now, but maybe you can google that?

·
Shadow Crosser
741 Posts
All good ideas! Definitely moss. Use one of the techniques listed or buy the $ store bag moss and glue to your columns. (Guess it will depend on your column's surface and what it will be exposed to.) MOSS, moss, moss, moss! And use some Ivy TOO!

·
Hauntless
8,371 Posts
Basic rule of thumb: moss and lichen grow where it's shady, moist and has a little dirt. Oh, and usually on the north side of things. :)

So, look for cracks and crevices as the main places to put the moss. Also try to keep it on one side of the object (the North side if you can).

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
All good ideas! Definitely moss. Use one of the techniques listed or buy the $ store bag moss and glue to your columns. (Guess it will depend on your column's surface and what it will be exposed to.) MOSS, moss, moss, moss! And use some Ivy TOO!
...And don't forget the lichens!!
All exterior stonework looks better with a little growth here and there.

In another thread, I posted a quick how to on a quick, simple and fairly effective method of adding moss and lichens to a prop if you do not have access to the real stuff.

If you are interested you can find it here:

http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/78413-i-need-help-aging-3.html

·
6,359 Posts
It's been 48 hours!

Show me the moss!!!

Just kiddin'. It's been really hot here in WA the past couple of days -- today being the worst. I know to many people around the country, hearing someone whine about 90 degree weather seems like nothin' -- but I dare you to try and get comfortable with a three week old baby that likes to snuggle up against your neck!!! Not the most relaxing or comfortable thing to endure.

I haven't really had a chance to do much outside, so I'm hoping I can get something big done over the weekend. :D

So for now, I need to live vicariously . . .

Show me the moss!!!

·
Resident Lunatic
1,771 Posts
My advise? For what it's worth - go with Ivy. Artificial Ivy. Cheap. Easy to apply. Re-usable. Looks a lot like the real thing - especially after dark!
I use ivy on my graveyard fence. My brick house is over grown with it, so I can just pull off however much I need.

·
6,359 Posts
I use ivy on my graveyard fence. My brick house is over grown with it, so I can just pull off however much I need.
That's a good idea. It sound so simple, I can't believe I didn't think of that. There's a tone of ivy in the woods by my house -- I should just go collect a whole bunch in October and drape it on some choice props!!

Thanks for the brain wake-up shake!

·
Registered
540 Posts
have you thought about aging the candles, maybe rubbing them with brown paint or stain? They kind of look stark white against the columns.

Other than that, they look terrific! Nice work.

·
Registered
490 Posts
They look amazing!

13 Mummy -- while checking out your columns I snooped at your 2008 prop photos. Can you tell me how you aged the potion bottles? The glass looks so cool!

·
Halloween AA Member
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
They look amazing!

13 Mummy -- while checking out your columns I snooped at your 2008 prop photos. Can you tell me how you aged the potion bottles? The glass looks so cool!

I didn't make those bottles, I got them when I bought my autopsy table from a sale from the movie "A Haunting in Conneticuit." They filmed the movie in my city. :) Thanks!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts