Halloween Forum banner

Are you for or against inflatable Halloween decorations?

• Yes!

Votes: 12 19.0%
  • No!

Votes: 37 58.7%
  • I'm here for the candy

Votes: 14 22.2%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This started a rather heated debate in the office today! There appear to be two camps, those who love inflatable props and those who hate them. Where do you stand and why?

·
Registered
459 Posts
i love looking at other peoples and get jealous but i will not buy anymore myself, the wind always breaks mine. the little loops that are used to tie it down always come apart.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,311 Posts
I think there are some really cute ones and the little kids love them but I don't personally want any in my display.

I'd rather see a yard with inflatables than no decorations at all. :)

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A friend of mine said "its cheating"

He's a purist who makes his own props :D

·
Incarnation of evil
916 Posts
I'm lactose intolerant and cannot handle things that are too chessy. LOL JK Not for me, it takes all the fun out. Who wants to take a an hour to put out all their halloween decor. Not me, I want to work on mine for long time and still not get enough stuff out. Its too quick, I take pride in my display.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have one giant pumpkin inflatable because it was on sale for $8. Yes, EIGHT dollars.

I like to see them at other peoples' haunts, but I'd rather have the real stuff.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,608 Posts
I don't care for them and would never buy one, but I agree that I'd rather see a yard with these than nothing at all. My biggest issue with them is that when they're not inflated, it looks like a piece of trash laying in your yard.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm not a lover of inflatable props. I mean they're cute, but I prefer if someone has hand-built their props. Wouldn't ever buy any, prefer a more classic, realistic and scary approach.

·
spookiness in the suburbs
905 Posts
Don't like 'em in and of themselves--they're sloppy when not inflated and a PITA when it's raining or windy.

That said, I have a few for the rugrats that wouldn't otherwise come up to my house at all. At least they aren't totally cheddar cutesy crap. The big one is a 2nd empire-style (like the Munsters house) tower with a tunnel for the lil punkins to walk through. The others are little ones in a pumpkin patch that is at the rear of the walkthrough, but no Snoopy or Scooby or happy JOL stack :)

At my house they go up the day of, come down that night, and are in a tiny strip (8' wide) on the other side of the driveway from the creepy foreboding cemetery, which is displayed for a month.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It doesn't bother me. I have a 3 year old niece so I don't mind cheesy props.

·
CANNIBAL
2,597 Posts
I wouldn't do it but at this point if my neighbors put some up I'd be thrilled. Can you tell I'm the only one on my street who decorates?

·
sasquatch
3,076 Posts
I think they are cheating. We haunters go through all this work to make something truely spectacular and then these guys with lots of money to burn put out this loud and obnoxious derigible that takes all the wind from our sails. Were does the attention go? To my meticulosly made tombstones or to a loud and colorful windbag accross the street. The loud and colorful wins everytime!!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
I think they are cheating. We haunters go through all this work to make something truely spectacular and then these guys with lots of money to burn put out this loud and obnoxious derigible that takes all the wind from our sails. Were does the attention go? To my meticulosly made tombstones or to a loud and colorful windbag accross the street. The loud and colorful wins everytime!!!
I have to agree 100% with you on this. Its the same in my neighborhood. There is one person up the street who has the horse and buggy inflatable, and every year everyone absess over how great it is. Then all the other neighbors follow him and put up their own inflatables. Ugh.

I think they are just such an eyesore. Many of them are cheaply made, so they look all wrinkled and don't even inflate all the way. And when people try pairing some of the "cutesy" inflatables with their more scary things, it looks very out of place.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'm not sure how I feel about them. Sometimes they just look really out of place and sometimes it's a nice change to see something that isn't gorey or disturbing.

I tend to try and keep my opinion neutral about these things. If someone has made an attempt to show their Halloween spirit by whatever means they can, then kudos to them. I'd rather see a house with an inflatable than a house with no decorations at all any day.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts