Halloween Forum banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I don't have "some idea", I know exactly what I'm going to do. I planned it last year on Halloween night while the decor was up. I already know some of the things I'm going to do for next year but won't finalize it until the decorations are up.
Sorry for any confusion. When I think ideas and concepts, I know even with planning we do evolve in our plans. And yes, once your decorations are up it is very easy to start assessing what you need for upcoming years. One budget friendly thing about Halloween is sales on Nov 1 being normally guaranteed even if stock is not.

204 Posts
If you have stuff of any sort of value that others could use, instead of throwing it in the dumpster call Goodwill or other thrift shops in your area and see if they will come and pick it up. Contact your local Boy or Girl Scouts or Jaycees, or any number of local organizations that do fund raising events and see if they may want some of your decor and have them come and pick it up. Advertise your stuff on local FB buy and sell groups, or other online buy and sell sites. You could sell the stuff as individual pieces or as a whole lot. You don't have to hold a yard sale on a weekend. Plenty of people in my neck of the woods hold them in the evenings during the week. They just have to make sure they advertise them on FB, or on our local radio's swap shop.
We totally agree with what you are saying, when it comes to just throwing stuff away.
But......its the TIME that we don't have, for waiting around for people to show up.
Its the TIME that it takes to deal with the people, who are all looking for Free Stuff, on their own Schedules.
Its just as easy ( For Us ) to Chuck it all, which is Sad....BUT.....its just the reality of the situation.
If we had the TIME.....we would have held a Yard Sale, a long time ago.
What with Halloween just 40 days away, and us STILL being away on Holidays.......TIME is more Dear to us, than waiting around for someone to come on over, and sort through all of our Stuff.
Its just Quicker to discard it ALL......and I will feel GREAT doing it!
TIME and SPACE is something that we just don't have.

·
Registered
78 Posts
We totally agree with what you are saying, when it comes to just throwing stuff away.
But......its the TIME that we don't have, for waiting around for people to show up.
Its the TIME that it takes to deal with the people, who are all looking for Free Stuff, on their own Schedules.
Its just as easy ( For Us ) to Chuck it all, which is Sad....BUT.....its just the reality of the situation.
If we had the TIME.....we would have held a Yard Sale, a long time ago.
What with Halloween just 40 days away, and us STILL being away on Holidays.......TIME is more Dear to us, than waiting around for someone to come on over, and sort through all of our Stuff.
Its just Quicker to discard it ALL......and I will feel GREAT doing it!
TIME and SPACE is something that we just don't have.
Do you use NextDoor? We put what we want to get rid of by the curb with a free sign, the add a post on NextDoor to let people know it's there. It's actually easier than hauling to Goodwill type places.

204 Posts
Do you use NextDoor? We put what we want to get rid of by the curb with a free sign, the add a post on NextDoor to let people know it's there. It's actually easier than hauling to Goodwill type places.
People are Funny.
We have tons of really good stuff, that would SELL very quickly, in any Yard Sale.
BUT.....if you were to offer it for FREE, that is when people start to get really really picky.
Weird.
Our old next door neighbour, was telling us, about his own appliance business, that he once had.
He used to take in older Fridges and Stoves as Trade ins... on his Newer Fridges and Stoves.
Well.....he used to put the older ones out in his back lane, with a sign clearly posted on them, that said that they were for FREE.
Well.......No one would ever take them or pick them up, and he ended up having to transport them to the Dump, in order to get rid of them.
One day......he decided to put some Small Price Stickers on them, as if they were For Sale......and they would immediately get "Stolen", each and every time. lol
If something is for FREE......people will Hum and Haw about it....BUT....if you would a Price Tag on it, "everyone" suddenly wants it!
True Story!

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
People are Funny.
We have tons of really good stuff, that would SELL very quickly, in any Yard Sale.
BUT.....if you were to offer it for FREE, that is when people start to get really really picky.
Weird.
Our old next door neighbour, was telling us, about his own appliance business, that he once had.
He used to take in older Fridges and Stoves as Trade ins... on his Newer Fridges and Stoves.
Well.....he used to put the older ones out in his back lane, with a sign clearly posted on them, that said that they were for FREE.
Well.......No one would ever take them or pick them up, and he ended up having to transport them to the Dump, in order to get rid of them.
One day......he decided to put some Small Price Stickers on them, as if they were For Sale......and they would immediately get "Stolen", each and every time. lol
If something is for FREE......people will Hum and Haw about it....BUT....if you would a Price Tag on it, "everyone" suddenly wants it!
True Story!
Totally get that as have had that happen around here. Also sometimes if the price seems too low people will hum and haw, up the price and everyone wants it. My grandmother had and older rocking love seat for sale at a yard sale. She had like $20 on it. People looked at it, sat in it and what not and seemed to like it but no-one wanted to buy it. Someone told her the price was too low. So she upped the price to like $50 and it sold immediately.

The thing with most thrift stores that will pick up items is, you can arrange a time that works best for you and them, or you can tell them that the stuff will be waiting out on the curb to be picked up in case you can't arrange a time that works for you both. If a few pieces go home with someone else before they come and pick the stuff up, well it wouldn't be any loss as it was going to go into the dumpster otherwise.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Luckily a lot of things I can make myself (when I ever get the time!) and the materials I can buy via my company anyway so the cost is negligible a lot of the time, I don't have a set budget and always spend more each year lol and sometimes there is a hefty amount spent on props but as long as its spent on reusable items the cost spreads itself out. This year we are making a lot of hand carved haunt walls and I've put a lot of framework up for the maze/dungeon but its something we will reuse year after year.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I was just thinking while walking around Spirit and wishing I could buy some things, that I should start saving $50 per paycheck for Halloween 😆 I normally limit myself to buying one Lemax Spooky Town item each year but the rest is purely on a case-by-case basis. Most years I spend $100 max but this year I think I'm way over that!

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Luckily a lot of things I can make myself (when I ever get the time!) and the materials I can buy via my company anyway so the cost is negligible a lot of the time, I don't have a set budget and always spend more each year lol and sometimes there is a hefty amount spent on props but as long as its spent on reusable items the cost spreads itself out. This year we are making a lot of hand carved haunt walls and I've put a lot of framework up for the maze/dungeon but its something we will reuse year after year.
Items that can be reused are investments. It’s awesome you have a company that helps reduce your spending. It sounds like you’re building something pretty amazing.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I was just thinking while walking around Spirit and wishing I could buy some things, that I should start saving $50 per paycheck for Halloween 😆 I normally limit myself to buying one Lemax Spooky Town item each year but the rest is purely on a case-by-case basis. Most years I spend $100 max but this year I think I'm way over that!
Ain’t it funny how that happens? I was one of the people who was slightly less than impressed with Halloween merchandise this year. Not even sure what I was looking for. But if you look at my Visa, clearly I found things. I’m not having buyers remorse at all. I did get lots of supplies for projects which can used down the road too. Its funny to me cause in my head I’m like ok two of these, one of those, a couple more lights and I’m done. Then you add in all the runs to hardware stores and dollar tree and it really adds up. I clearly need to consider my “supplies” a little more seriously as well. Even today wood for a table and paint and then some glitter added more to the pile.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I think I budget more based on TIME and storage space than money. Storage is limited to a small shed but TIME is the gating item more often than not. Last year was tough because so many things were a race to the finish line so this year I did it differently. I culled projects as I went (no swinging skeleton) and kept focused on "what can I FINISH before I START anything new". 2 weeks til build-out and I feel calmer and more ready than before.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I think I budget more based on TIME and storage space than money. Storage is limited to a small shed but TIME is the gating item more often than not. Last year was tough because so many things were a race to the finish line so this year I did it differently. I culled projects as I went (no swinging skeleton) and kept focused on "what can I FINISH before I START anything new". 2 weeks til build-out and I feel calmer and more ready than before.
Love your approach. Sometimes when you have multiple projects going it can be overwhelming. Couldn’t agree with you more on “what can I FINISH before I START anything new?” And yes, agree again that budgeting time is just as important as budgeting money.

·
Registered
137 Posts
No budget but I do have to work about 50 hours of overtime a month in the months leading up to and following Halloween to offset the costs...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I thought I'd chime in since I didn't see this answer in the mix yet. :) Spend your credit card points on Halloween! We can cash in our Citibank points for Home Depot gift cards, we have the Amazon Visa earning Amazon points, we can use Amazon points to buy JoAnn gift cards, and we even figured out how to buy a Visa gift card using Amazon points we've used at Dollar Tree, FrightProps online, or anywhere. This year our total Halloween display spend has just exceeded $2000 but only $300 has been out of pocket so far, and we even had enough gift cards to splurge on the HD pirate ship to be saved for a future year. Since points only accrue monthly, you have to plan ahead to make use of this technique, and when you've spent all your points by early October, then you'll be paying for the last things like party food & candy out of pocket. Still it helps a lot!

My personal Halloween budget history was just "entertainment expense" and if I could pay off my credit cards every month, I was still ok. I've always been frugal with the rest of my life so it worked out. I honestly didn't want to know how much I spent since I was embarrassed. Back then Halloween was all by myself throwing parties, building props, decor & costumes, developing recipes, and self-publishing 2 of my Eerie Elegance books, until 2011 when a friend volunteered to help with my attempt at projecting ghosts, and since then Halloween got bigger with multiple projectors and even animatronics using his electrical engineering experience - hooray! I started selling on Etsy in 2011, so at that time I started tracking Halloween expenses against my Etsy profits, since I figured if I was earning from my hobby, it could pay for my hobby. I don't earn a lot on Etsy, but with the combination of gift cards & Etsy profits we are still ahead. Several years we have spent more especially on invesment pieces like projectors, VSA software, video panels, controller boards, lighting, but we re-use those for different displays, since now we do a different theme each year. Storage space is our largest concern now, and I do think for large displays that will always be a factor.

BTW, that friend is now my husband, and it's his idea to spend our credit card points this way. 🎃I am so lucky we both love Halloween!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was reviewing some posts about retailers and purchases and thought about Halloween planning and of course budgeting.

I know for us we always have a list of items we want and plans on what might need crafted, but I don’t think I have ever set a dollar amount on what I had planned to do.

So tell me, do you budget each year for Halloween? And if so, are you good at sticking to it?

Definitely curious as to how other members approach keeping their Halloween purchases aligned without breaking the bank.
I haven’t in the past but am considering it for next year. My focus isn’t on doing a haunt per se, but rather, being the haunt as I assume my Witch Hazel persona on Halloween.LOL......For the past 15 years I have run a Witch Hazel Lucky 13 Club....members receive an extra Halloween item (which I craft) when they show me their membership card on Halloween. Crafting is my hobby, and since I am retired, I have time to craft throughout the year. My budget would be for the candy and the crafting supplies which is where I tend to get carried away. My husband and I keep our outside decorations (which I never tire of) mostly the same as I like maintaining “the witches house” from year to year. (We have an old house which helps.) I do consider Halloween an extension of my crafting hobby, but also our gift to the town’s children.😊 It all started because my husband and I both had memories of one special house we visited in our childhood. We decided we wanted to provide that for our Trick or treaters. I think Halloween is a great creative outlet for most of us and a gift to the children who will have some great memories because of our efforts. It’s a win win situation.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I sort of have a budget. I seem to hover around 2k a year. I probably could go higher but this usually fills my plate in terms of projects, props, pneumatics, controllers and party hosting. In 15 years it seems to be the sweet spot. I think the most I spent was 6k. This year maybe 3k.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Budget, yea that's funny. I figure out what i need to add to my displays, then look to do it as cheap as possible. Like that's ever going to happen......😃

·
Registered
12 Posts
Every single year I always have the best intentions to create and stay within a budget. But you know what they say about the road to hell, it is paved with good intentions so I am sure the road to HELLoween is the same LOL. I just can’t help it I always find something cute but I HAVE tried to make it a rule that unless it is something I am really obsessing over or something extremely unique that I know I cannot find again or something needed vs wanted, I tried to stick to maybe one major purchase and just be reasonable about anything else. Note that I said “try” LOL. We have a really big Halloween party every year so most of the focuses just on the food and things like that. That being said, that is because over the years we have accumulated so much that I can be more selective. Also, as we all know after season clearance is the best way to pick up some really great pieces. Just go quickly. Enjoy the holiday and Happy Haunting!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Every single year I always have the best intentions to create and stay within a budget. But you know what they say about the road to hell, it is paved with good intentions so I am sure the road to HELLoween is the same LOL. I just can’t help it I always find something cute but I HAVE tried to make it a rule that unless it is something I am really obsessing over or something extremely unique that I know I cannot find again or something needed vs wanted, I tried to stick to maybe one major purchase and just be reasonable about anything else. Note that I said “try” LOL. We have a really big Halloween party every year so most of the focuses just on the food and things like that. That being said, that is because over the years we have accumulated so much that I can be more selective. Also, as we all know after season clearance is the best way to pick up some really great pieces. Just go quickly. Enjoy the holiday and Happy Haunting!

41 - 60 of 74 Posts