Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reviewing some posts about retailers and purchases and thought about Halloween planning and of course budgeting.

I know for us we always have a list of items we want and plans on what might need crafted, but I don’t think I have ever set a dollar amount on what I had planned to do.

So tell me, do you budget each year for Halloween? And if so, are you good at sticking to it?

Definitely curious as to how other members approach keeping their Halloween purchases aligned without breaking the bank.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Before I got divorced I had a budget. Basically any "found" money or money I could make getting rid of stuff on Craigslist was my Halloween budget. But $200 was the rough annual figure. Once I got divorced all bets were off.

You can either view Halloween as a hobby or a habit. As a hobby it's kind of expensive but not the most (especially since if you shop wisely you can probably recoup about 2/3's of what you spent, with time and patience). As a habit it's better than all of the other ones (drinking, etc.).

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Before I got divorced I had a budget. Basically any "found" money or money I could make getting rid of stuff on Craigslist was my Halloween budget. But $200 was the rough annual figure. Once I got divorced all bets were off.

You can either view Halloween as a hobby or a habit. As a hobby it's kind of expensive but not the most (especially since if you shop wisely you can probably recoup about 2/3's of what you spent, with time and patience). As a habit it's better than all of the other ones (drinking, etc.).
We say all the time Halloween is our hobby. For some people it’s collecting some item or maybe hunting and we always look at it from the hobby perspective as well. Probably why we look for items all year.

It is amazing how all the incidentals add up. I was thinking about this when I was buying supplies last night. I had on my Halloween to do list to make a sign which was $18 at Joann. PVC pipe at Menards, acrylic paints at Walmart, sheets from Target. In my head, it’s two items, but I’m thinking maybe I should be approaching my “hobby” with a little more awareness on cost.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Budget - heck no! We try to make everything as much as possible, however, sometimes you see something that really grabs you and you must have it. I am getting pickier over the years as I have accumulated so many items. I am looking forward to passing on some of my reject items to others in our neighborhood. We are having a freebie garage sale in the next couple of weeks and hope it'll encourage others to participate in Halloween decorating. We have a neighborhood display contest and we only have 2 - 3 homes that participate - so sad!

·
Super Moderator
5,629 Posts
I don't have one budget. I have 3!

There's my hobby budget that I use to make things all year. This is strictly adhered to. I don't go over, as I just don't have the money. It's literally an entirely different bank account.

There's the PARTY budget for our party on the 30th. This one is REALLY loose. We have a good idea of how much things are going to cost, but don't stress if something goes over too much.

Then, finally, there's the Halloween night budget for candy. This is more of a running 'we need X number this year' based on previous years. Generally try to find sales and ways to keep the actual cost low, but full size stuff, that's difficult.

·
It's pronounced "Fronkensteen."
536 Posts
I've had a rough budget the last few years, which I always go over of course, but this year I freed myself. No budget, just building what I want. Of course selling my house and living with my Fiancee' helped alot in that area :).

Will save some $$ on candy since the new neighborhood reportedly has a much smaller TOT turn out.

·
The Haunting Girl
863 Posts
...what's a budget?

Which is funny coming from someone with about a dozen spreadsheets for the rest of the household stuff (groceries, bills, etc). I can tell you what we spent (and supposedly saved) on groceries last year, but Halloween? (insert insane laughter here) Not a clue...

·
It's pronounced "Fronkensteen."
536 Posts
...what's a budget?

Which is funny coming from someone with about a dozen spreadsheets for the rest of the household stuff (groceries, bills, etc). I can tell you what we spent (and supposedly saved) on groceries last year, but Halloween? (insert insane laughter here) Not a clue...
WOW, you sound like me. All of my other expenses are tracked in spreadsheets so they get paid on time. Halloween and prop purchase are an invisible black hole,

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm glad I never set a budget because I'd be WAY WAY over. My lifestyle has changed significantly post-divorce and I find myself with a lot of expendable income. I think this year I have spent over 2 Grover Cleveland and I know I will have to spend more after set-up begins. But I don't spend much on myself the rest of the year. What can I say? Halloween is my shopping weakness.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
This year I created a savings account for Halloween, with $100 a month auto deposited into it, anything else comes from my weekly spending money. I will likely end up a little over just because I didn't start until February and October, November and December won't be included since it deposits on the last day of the month. It sounds like a lot as I type this but it goes fast!

·
Registered
761 Posts
Same! Only slightly different

1st. Seed budget: pumpkins, gourds, corn, millet more pumpkins, etc.
Then I ask myself: do I own it? Will it grow in my zone? Is it worth it?
(Spring budget - $50 to $75)

2nd. Halloween kitchen accessories: towels, plates, etc.
We only use Halloween dinnerware
(Holiday budget very low since own everything but always buy new dish towels
$25)

3rd Halloween decor: vintage and new
Mostly purchase vintage items year round and they can be expensive.
($500)

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Budget - heck no! We try to make everything as much as possible, however, sometimes you see something that really grabs you and you must have it. I am getting pickier over the years as I have accumulated so many items. I am looking forward to passing on some of my reject items to others in our neighborhood. We are having a freebie garage sale in the next couple of weeks and hope it'll encourage others to participate in Halloween decorating. We have a neighborhood display contest and we only have 2 - 3 homes that participate - so sad!
I always wonder if more people don’t decorate cause of the cost. Let’s be real..it’s not cheap to go big. Very cool of you to donate your items via yard sale to get others involved. Can’t say it’s too expensive if it’s free!

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

There's my hobby budget that I use to make things all year. This is strictly adhered to. I don't go over, as I just don't have the money. It's literally an entirely different bank account.

There's the PARTY budget for our party on the 30th. This one is REALLY loose. We have a good idea of how much things are going to cost, but don't stress if something goes over too much.

Then, finally, there's the Halloween night budget for candy. This is more of a running 'we need X number this year' based on previous years. Generally try to find sales and ways to keep the actual cost low, but full size stuff, that's difficult.
I love how you split this out actually. Most of us already know what we want to do coming the following year so why not be working on it easily with more time?

I am however saddened cause I just realized I forgot about candy! Guess it’s time to get my family to start our treat bag assembly line again.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've had a rough budget the last few years, which I always go over of course, but this year I freed myself. No budget, just building what I want. Of course selling my house and living with my Fiancee' helped alot in that area :).

Will save some $$ on candy since the new neighborhood reportedly has a much smaller TOT turn out.
I like you do not have a budget. I have in my head a list of needs to make a display happen and of course the things I want. Do you think though in some ways there’s still a limit? Maybe even if just not paying full price?

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
...what's a budget?

This is exactly why I posted this topic! I have apps and notebooks and spreadsheets and graphs and yet nothing for Halloween! Think it’s because we don’t really want to know?

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm glad I never set a budget because I'd be WAY WAY over. My lifestyle has changed significantly post-divorce and I find myself with a lot of expendable income. I think this year I have spent over 2 Grover Cleveland and I know I will have to spend more after set-up begins. But I don't spend much on myself the rest of the year. What can I say? Halloween is my shopping weakness.
I wonder why so many of us have blinders on with Halloween. If I read the posts, it seems this applies to the majority. Must just be total love cause love is not always rational!

1 - 20 of 74 Posts