Halloween Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swear we put so much effort into the month before October when it gets here I do not even have the will or energy to put the stuff out. At this point I am just over it all and not looking forward to this week actually putting everything out. I hope it is worth it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
That’s sad you feel that way, but I understand your frustration. You should try taking the week to relax, recover, and remember why you love this season. If you feel up to it, put a few things out. Its not a big deal if EVERYTHING is not set up on October 1. I usually try to do the inside stuff, but sometimes its a slow process. I always have had a goal to put my graveyard out on Oct 1 but I never hit that target. And you know what? Its not the end of the world. My ultimate goal is to have everything set up by Halloween, so I take my time, do what I can around work, gym and my other normal routines. I want to actually enjoy October, not stress out. If setup stresses you out, I bet a few days off to watch a scary movie or go out in the nice fall weather will reinvigorate you.

·
Registered
638 Posts
It goes up when it goes up. I don't think I've had everything up by the 1st... pretty much ever. It goes out when it's ready to, when I have the time and the energy. It isn't like I'm getting paid to do this. I do it for fun and as a public service. People need to stop stressing.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,507 Posts
If you do feel that way, it might be a sign to scale back this Halloween. You don't have to go all out every year. Taking a year off from doing the full on display/haunt is actually pretty fun too and you'll likely come back the following year with tons of ideas. Any time this stuff becomes a burden or you're dreading what you're doing, that's dangerous because you can burn out badly if you push yourself until it's no longer fun.

I have a basic setup we do a few days before on our light years - literally lots of lights. We collect blowmold pumpkins mostly, but any figures I've come across for free or cheap get added into my collection. The years I don't feel like building/setup for the elaborate displays, we do a pumpkin patch of blow molds. A fence to keep the kiddos from entering the yard and tripping over cords, and then put out as many pumpkins/figures as we want. Some years, it's just 10 or so, some years it's all of them (we have like 35 at this point, and no signs of stopping). But it takes like 2 hours start to finish and we could do it the day before and just flip the switch to turn them on. It's more than like 99% of the rest of the neighborhood, still get tons of compliments and the kids and parents both seem happy to see anything at all anyway.

Reactions: 66539

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We have a decent amount of stuff we made the last few years so I think next year I am just going to put out things and build nothing at all, maybe just watch horror movies to get me in the mood. This is so time consuming.

I did get the hay bails and some of the wiring done, a few funkins out. We also worked on my outfit a few more hours. I am better now but next year, I just gotta scale back.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Yeah, I have scaled back on building things (though I never built as much stuff as many others here) because it was too much. I put my stuff up somewhat gradually, plus I rotate select animatronics in and out. Several people have mentioned that on their walks thru the neighborhood they like to look for new things. So gradual might even be better.

I also wanted to posit that, anecdotally, the end for most big haunts (and their haunters) is like a balloon popping. It just keeps getting bigger and bigger, taking up more time (and space) until it is unsustainable and pops -i.e. haunters get rid of their stuff quit haunting.

Often the proximate cause is health of the haunter or a loved one, or kids going off to college or moving out. We are all always getting older, of course.

There was a thread on here a few weeks ago called The Smaller Halloween that I liked. We should all give ourselves permission to downsize our haunts, either temporarily or permanently. And I would also caution people against ramping up too quickly or getting too big, as the balloon may burst. And, unless you are a serious, serious haunter, try not to rely too much on other people's help, as it isn't always going to be there. And if you are on this site, recognize that it is you who are the Halloween nut; family or friends that are helping you are not the nut that you are; always be thankful for the time and energy they have given you, never disappointed when their help ends, whether for a year or permanently.

Happy Halloween my fellow nuts!

Mike

·
Registered
370 Posts
YOU ARE NOW BANNED FROM HALLOWEEN
Halloween MEANS sweat, tears and blood and if your not willing to go all out and commit every spare minute to this SPORT, willing to sacrifice, family, career and your health, YOU SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO DISPLAY HALLOWEEN!

Remember, the "spirit" of Halloween "TOTing", starts with just being home, leaving a light on and handing out candy. Adding a pumpkin is a bigger move then most. So the goal is to do what makes YOU happy!!

Jerseyscare

·
Registered
681 Posts
I say that i am not going to build anything for next year several times every year. Since our display goes up the first weekend of September (or is suppose to) weather had us down with rain that weekend but it all came on the next weekend. YES if you ask my wife she will say I become a total a-hole that weekend because i am stressed out. But it started that weekend I was setting up. People were already driving by, saying it looked good, great job, wow that is amazing. And i didn't even have it done and no lights on.

To me that is what makes it worth all the effort. We have already had tons of people driving by and stopping and walking up to look. and giving us heart felt compliments.

Yesterday we did our annual take the entire day and go to every store that has Halloween shopping day. Spirit, Halloween Express, menards, HD, Lowes, Walmart, Target, At Home, we hit them all. And already we are planning for next year.

Take a step back and gather your strength because once it is up and you have people there it will all be worth it.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think that is what I need, some motivation. I did have one slow drive-by last night when I was outside, you could tell they were taking it all in.

I also had a lady post on our HOA page how "That house is too scary for this subdivision". I am not sure if she went back and deleted the post or the President did but that took the wind out of my sails quickly. Fortunately there is nothing saying I cannot do it and I am friends with every single board member. I just cannot believe she said that.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
The only thing that really hurting my seasonal spirit is the ^%$&^(*&$*&^&(!!!!! weather. It's still so hot even at night.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I also had a lady post on our HOA page how "That house is too scary for this subdivision". I am not sure if she went back and deleted the post or the President did but that took the wind out of my sails quickly. Fortunately there is nothing saying I cannot do it and I am friends with every single board member. I just cannot believe she said that.
That comment would have been encouraging for me!

·
Registered
638 Posts
Well, I got at least some of my stuff out yesterday, the cemetery fence and a couple of tombstones. I was the first one in the neighborhood to do anything. By the end of today, three of us had props out. Now, my graveyard is about halfway done, I stress tested the animated props and they worked fine, all the lights are working as expected, I tested some of the incidental lighting and will put that out tomorrow and now I have to start working on the other side of the yard. But I was first!

·
Registered
278 Posts
I think that is what I need, some motivation. I did have one slow drive-by last night when I was outside, you could tell they were taking it all in.

BELEIVE IT! Always someone to ruin fun. It is a Holiday, it's not like it stays up all year!!!

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
I have to say, if that's how you feel, you're doing it wrong. The best thing about Halloween is that it's a zero obligation holiday, so don't turn it into one with self imposed rules and deadlines. Do what you want because you love it and it's fun. If it doesn't fall into either of those categories, don't do it. Period.

·
Registered
50 Posts
take a week or two to get set up , the neighborhood kids would come by every night they could to see what was added each day. after I got everything out then I had to move stuff around for various reasons but usually by the end of the week I had it all out except for what I decided to move and adding lights it may take a week of just moving stuff to get it all where you want it but the kids are watching to see what is happening.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think I have a chronic problem of just not wanting to do the same thing every year. There's always the beginning stages of panic on what to do. I always have enough decor, but somehow feel like I don't when I'm preparing the canvas for our yearly family Halloween parties.

I swear it's always a month and a half ordeal. The decor starts taking shape around 2 weeks before our party and ends up being just fine.

Quite honestly year after year people don't pay much attention to what goes where and so really I could just set it up the same every time, but I don't know why I put myself through the stress of a new setup when I could just label things to always go in the same areas of the house.

One other thing that always goes through my head is this voice to myself: "Dude, why do you spend soooooo much time on something that people will only enjoy for a few hours?" I always say back to that voice of reason, "Yeah I know... but it's Halloween!"

I can't otherwise justify the logic in why that makes any sense for one person to bother to do each year. But.. I love it! HAHAHA!

I've been doing this same cycle for over 20 years now. It never gets old. Sometimes the time creeps up fast on me and am caught off guard, but as always, somehow we'll be ready.

I understand the original poster here. I have had a couple burnout years because of life stuff that can happen. One time I got extremely sick mid decorating everything and shocked friends and family one year when I had to cancel due to our entire family falling very ill from fall flu crud that went around. I NEVER cancel, but we had to that year.

If there's anything that kinda sucks from year to year is you get a lot of people who just don't seem to appreciate all the attention to detail. I know there's so many things people will just never catch and is just out of being anal. Overall I do it because I love it and as long as people are having fun i'm cool.

I wish I could just keep it up year-round!

·
Grand WaZoo
848 Posts
I swear we put so much effort into the month before October when it gets here I do not even have the will or energy to put the stuff out. At this point I am just over it all and not looking forward to this week actually putting everything out. I hope it is worth it.
Don't feel bad about it reefcrazed its all part of life. I would spend all year building new and different props for my haunt then bust my rotten behind on taking nearly a month of putting it all up for just one magical night. Yes I enjoyed the uncountable hours building props and building a new haunt each year and then throwing one great party and scaring the whits out countless kids but then after years it finally got to be to much. Do I miss it, yes, but I don't miss at all spending two days from sun up to sunset putting it all away and cramming it all in ever available storage space I had and then some. There comes a time you either turn pro and try to make money from this crazy hobby or you move on to other things in your life. I decided to sell out and move on but I still keep a hand in it helping others and who knows maybe someday I'll get back into making props again but I will ever feel sad for moving on.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I began this build season with high hopes and lofty (if somewhat dark and devious) plans. In the last week or so I've started to doubt and wonder if perhaps i was too ambitious; maybe bit off more than i could chew.

But when cars driving by suddenly hit the brakes and come to a dead stop to ogle my graveyard, or kids ride their bikes over for blocks to marvel at the scenery, i remember that this is why i do what i do and i go spend a good 15 minutes just staring. I haven't even gotten a quarter of the setup in place, yet people regularly stop into my workshop to tell me how great it's looking. It reinvigorates me and i can't help but get a little excited about how people will feel when the show gets going full bore.

Bottom line is you gotta do what makes you happy. I refuse to accept that i might not meet the final deadline right now, but if it gets too stressful, then i would hope i have the wherewithal to step back, take a breath, and get back to what makes halloween fun.

I would argue that being tired and powering through makes the end result that much more satisfying, but then again, i would also argue that at some point you just have to step back and slow down to save your sanity.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts