Halloween Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Here to burgle your turts
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hey Ulchabhan! 10-15 pounds in 15 days is crazu huge! But I know depression is a helluva thing to work through. You should be proud of what you accomplished, and now you know it's doable so that's a huge win! Take a victory lap for that.

I don't know if it helps at all, but the Keto thing lets you have cheese, which goes a long way to filling you up. If you're feeling like you're being too deprived of stuff, you're making it really really tough to stick with healthier food. And then you hit a speed bump, and then you feel bad that you're not perfect, which brings further depression and it's an endless cycle.

I think a diet should be easy, so people aren't always tempted to jump off the wagon. If you're relying 100% on willpower, i think you're in trouble.

·
Super Moderator
5,703 Posts
Congratulations, you guys! It is always great to hear people being positive about weight loss. I got too much negativity about my weight as a kid that it still affects me. I even see it today on the internet. If someone does something funny in a video, and they happen to be fat, someone's going to point it out. :(

I tried the whole30 diet a couple months back. I made it to 15 days, and lost 10-15 pounds, but on the 16th day, bye bye! I have depression and binge eating disorder, and eating is like an addiction to me. It's like cuddling a teddy bear when you're sad—literal comfort food. But the good feelings often last only about an hour before the regret sets in, and you know how I make those bad feelings go away? More food! I just tell myself to be grateful that it's not alcohol or tobacco.

Have you guys struggled with that? Has anyone tried whole30? I'd love to know!
I think you just described my relationship with soda.

Do great for a few weeks, have a bad day at work, so grab one on the way home, get upset I slipped, so grab 5 the next day, start cycle. After 3 days of that, my gut is rebelling from the corn syrup upload and I have to go off again, there's the withdrawl...oh, maybe just ONE because this sucks....

·
Registered
73 Posts
I think you just described my relationship with soda.

Do great for a few weeks, have a bad day at work, so grab one on the way home, get upset I slipped, so grab 5 the next day, start cycle. After 3 days of that, my gut is rebelling from the corn syrup upload and I have to go off again, there's the withdrawl...oh, maybe just ONE because this sucks....

The mentality of "Well, I cheated a little. I might as well cheat a lot." and the comfort cycle ravaged me for YEARS. Getting past the idea that "cheating on your diet=cheating no matter the amount" is a huge step toward physical, emotional, and mental health. "Cheat" a little every now and then, it's fine. One soda/cupcake/ice cream cone/beer isn't going to totally derail your progress for a day/week (unless you're doing keto :D ) , but thinking that you might as well "do it if you're gonna do it" absolutely will. Not only will hit derail your progress, it makes you more susceptible to falling into that mindset more readily in the future.

You're stronger than you probably give yourself credit for, and the changes you want are more than possible if you actually rely on that strength.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,782 Posts
Congratulations, you guys! It is always great to hear people being positive about weight loss. I got too much negativity about my weight as a kid that it still affects me. I even see it today on the internet. If someone does something funny in a video, and they happen to be fat, someone's going to point it out. :(

I tried the whole30 diet a couple months back. I made it to 15 days, and lost 10-15 pounds, but on the 16th day, bye bye! I have depression and binge eating disorder, and eating is like an addiction to me. It's like cuddling a teddy bear when you're sad—literal comfort food. But the good feelings often last only about an hour before the regret sets in, and you know how I make those bad feelings go away? More food! I just tell myself to be grateful that it's not alcohol or tobacco.

Have you guys struggled with that? Has anyone tried whole30? I'd love to know!
Technically you can live without alcohol, drugs, things like that but to continue to exist you must eat so it's a hard thing to break free from, especially if you have an eating disorder.

Have you seen a therapist for that stuff yet? It certainly can't hurt to try that if you haven't. You could also see a licensed dietitian/nutritionist. I kind of had to see one so insurance paid for it but she really does help me a lot, especially when you go from eating EVERYTHING to having to think about every single thing you put in your mouth. At first it's kinda overwhelming & exhausting but when the choice is continue to eat that way or die, well, I'll choose cutting out Coke & potatoes instead.

My first grocery shopping trip after the diagnosis took FOR-EV-VURR!! I read labels, checked carbs, oy vey. Now it's only occasionally overwhelming.:D

Like I said, I'm not really on an actual diet that has a name, I'm just trying to eat less in general & I really think giving up those extra calories in things like sodas & chips has made a huge difference. Even if you replace the regular sodas with diet it's a baby step & way more doable than giving up all sodas forever.

You also can't beat yourself up when you do have a Coke instead of a Coke Zero. It's not worth it & it's also not the end of the world either. In fact, maybe say on Saturday "I'm going to have potato salad, chocolate ice cream, macaroni & cheese, a bag of chips, ( whatever your "poison" happens to be) & then I'll be OK the rest of the week." So you won't be as tempted other days.

Most people don't do well on those weird, quick fix diets which is why we all fall off the wagon on them.

One thing I learned from my nutritionist was the plate method:
http://www.diabetesforecast.org/2015/adm/diabetes-plate-method/what-is-the-plate-method.html

A variation of that:
https://www.med.unc.edu/im/files/patient-education-handouts/nutrition-and-diet-files/Plate Method (English).pdf

It's really doable & sustainable. You can easily find this type of plate anywhere now. From takeout containers to plastic plates have those sort of compartments. Since you're not diabetic there's probably stuff on the "don't eat" list that you could have but eating like that is pretty easy & you don't have to overthink it.

Good luck to everyone, we all need some support sometimes so you don't feel alone.

·
Super Moderator
5,703 Posts
Technically you can live without alcohol, drugs, things like that but to continue to exist you must eat so it's a hard thing to break free from, especially if you have an eating disorder.

Have you seen a therapist for that stuff yet? It certainly can't hurt to try that if you haven't. You could also see a licensed dietitian/nutritionist. I kind of had to see one so insurance paid for it but she really does help me a lot, especially when you go from eating EVERYTHING to having to think about every single thing you put in your mouth. At first it's kinda overwhelming & exhausting but when the choice is continue to eat that way or die, well, I'll choose cutting out Coke & potatoes instead.

My first grocery shopping trip after the diagnosis took FOR-EV-VURR!! I read labels, checked carbs, oy vey. Now it's only occasionally overwhelming.:D

Like I said, I'm not really on an actual diet that has a name, I'm just trying to eat less in general & I really think giving up those extra calories in things like sodas & chips has made a huge difference. Even if you replace the regular sodas with diet it's a baby step & way more doable than giving up all sodas forever.

You also can't beat yourself up when you do have a Coke instead of a Coke Zero. It's not worth it & it's also not the end of the world either. In fact, maybe say on Saturday "I'm going to have potato salad, chocolate ice cream, macaroni & cheese, a bag of chips, ( whatever your "poison" happens to be) & then I'll be OK the rest of the week." So you won't be as tempted other days.

Most people don't do well on those weird, quick fix diets which is why we all fall off the wagon on them.

One thing I learned from my nutritionist was the plate method:
http://www.diabetesforecast.org/2015/adm/diabetes-plate-method/what-is-the-plate-method.html

A variation of that:
https://www.med.unc.edu/im/files/patient-education-handouts/nutrition-and-diet-files/Plate Method (English).pdf

It's really doable & sustainable. You can easily find this type of plate anywhere now. From takeout containers to plastic plates have those sort of compartments. Since you're not diabetic there's probably stuff on the "don't eat" list that you could have but eating like that is pretty easy & you don't have to overthink it.

Good luck to everyone, we all need some support sometimes so you don't feel alone.
Something really stupid that has helped me with the portion control.

I use the little plates. The salad plate. Whatever the technical term is. Not the big dinner plate. Something stupid mentally about not seeing a whole slew of empty space on the plate makes it easier to cut portion size.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Something really stupid that has helped me with the portion control.

I use the little plates. The salad plate. Whatever the technical term is. Not the big dinner plate. Something stupid mentally about not seeing a whole slew of empty space on the plate makes it easier to cut portion size.
What really helped me was using the My Fitness Pal app. Seeing how many calories I am actually consuming and holding myself accountable is the reason I've dropped weight and kept it off. Every time I stop logging my food and holding myself accountable, the scale starts to creep the wrong way, but as soon as I'm being conscientious of my eating it starts going back the way I want it to.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
I fell into the keto plan accidently when my husband was diagnosed diabetic in 2010. I had no idea what to do but figured we could eat anything that had a single digit carb count per serving,even tho we ate MORE than a serving size : ) It worked and we lost 70+ pounds and he was off meds within 2 months. Everyone gave him horrible comments about how awful he looked and that he needed to put weight back on. Absolutely no one noticed I lost 75 lbs which was infuriating.
The best part for me tho is I rarely left the house before because I just never felt good. Now I can go anywhere and feel great all the time....have never even had a cold in all these years and lost all my allergies. My problem now is that I've learned TOO much about how to make any food I want lower carb and we eat too much!

·
Here to burgle your turts
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Good on you, Deadna! My wife has lost a whack of weight too on a sympathy diet, but people are definitely noticing her. But she had gotten in the habit of wearing looser clothes to cover the wieght and she's given those up for tighter fitting things. So that's probably helped to advertise the change.

75 pound is HUGE! Congratulations!!!

Yeah, there's so much that's great about the weight loss. Little things like I can take a knee to tie my shoes now. Agree with the cold thing. It's only been 10 months but I haven't felt sick at all since we started.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts