Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Here to burgle your turts
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks! Haven't posted in a while but I kinda miss this place.

So I took a bad bounce last year and wound up in the hospital. I'm great now, better than ever (This bionic arm is cool ;) j/k)

Anyway, on the way out of the hospital, my GP, a former Olympic Swimmer, recommended I try a Keto diet. I was 285lbs when I went into the hospital and lost about 30lbs while I was in there (6weeks). I think mostly due to eating less sugar and not snacking.

So to get to the point, she recommended a website to me and a book for guidance, and 5 months later I was under 200lbs! My wife has gone down 9 dress sizes on the same diet in the same period of time. I was losing basically a pound a day for the first 45 days.

This is without exercise. I'm exercising now because it's easier and I think there's huge benefits. But my current stance is if you're ignoring diet and just planning to lose weight with exercise, your doing yourself a huge disservice.

I'm not recommending Keto (though I swear it's magic in a bottle). Whatever work for you works. I'm not recommending dieting even. Whatever size you're at, if you're happy and healthy, you're where you need to be.

I just want to say weight loss is doable and it may be doable quickly. Last year I would have lost...65lbs between August 1st and Halloween. Years earlier I had managed to lose 50lbs by running 8km per day every day for over a year. But I gained it back when I hurt my foot. I had lost 30lbs stocking shelves at a grocery store, and as soon as I stopped, gained it all back.

Now we basically eat healthy during the week and eat like the pigs we are on the weekend ;) and it's enough to keep us at around the same weight since I hit 200lbs back in January. We're never hungry, and the weekly treats make it seem like there's a light at the end of the tunnel. (disclaimer: we aren't big drinkers, so if you are, your YMMV).

I'm planning to give up the weekly treats next month and see if I can lose another 30lbs.

It is gonna be so nice not to have to limit my costume ideas to XXXL this year.

I hope I didn't offend anyone with this post. I don't want to tell anyone what to do. But I would have jumped on this diet years ago had I known it existed. It's possible to lose weight without doing tons of work or being hungry 24/7. I just want to provide some road signs to anyone who wants to move in this direction. :eek: And show the destination may not be as far away as you think.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,604 Posts
Congrats! It's not always easy but at least it's working for you & that's all that matters.

I've recently become diabetic & what I'm supposed to eat is sort of a keto diet. The only problem is I'm not a huge meat or seafood fan. Just cutting out sodas, chips, chocolate, a lot of carbs & eating smaller portions in general has made a huge difference for me. I've lost a little over 10 lbs. in the last couple of months & I'm still losing.

Of course getting my blood sugar under control was a huge thing for me & that helped with everything from my mood to my skin,but I completely understand how you feel. I don't know why I didn't do it sooner. I'm not a big drinker either so I don't have the heartache of cutting out beer or stuff like that.

Now I can't say I don't still have some mashed potatoes or some chips (I had a small portion of a baked ziti tonite & brought half home), but I'm not substituting that bag of chips for lunch or dinner anymore & I'm not drinking tons of sodas daily. And if I do have that stuff I have it in MUCH smaller quantities.

Do you get folks say "You look great!" now? I do & I always wonder, "Wait....did I look like crap before & they just didn't say anything?!?":D:D

I do miss my Coke though. Coke Zero is OK but not the same.

·
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
10 pounds can make a big difference. Congratulations! That's a huge win! It's got to be a bit difficult eating Keto if you don't eat meat. Do you do the coconut flour thing? I know it's not cheap.

The site she recommended was the DietDoctor site. It's been a huge help in getting us started and giving us meal ideas. They have vegetarian recipes on there, but they may be behind a pay wall. The meals are kinda for foodies who love cooking. They offer a free 2-week meal plan to get you started so you could see if there's anything there that you'd like. We've moved more to a slab of meat and a bag of vegetables approach 90% of the time.

Basically, it was nice for someone to come along and say "Cook with butter. It won't hurt you. And it'll keep you from eating as much". That made it easier to cut out the crap (I too was a chip-aholic and I wasn't above eating a bowl of cereal topped with sugar as a second dinner before bed.)

The book the doctor recommended was called "The Obesity Code" and it was mostly about how insulin works. It also talked about carbs vs. calories, and the benefits of intermittent fasting (basically skipping a couple meals every time you plateau). He talks about diabetes quite a bit, and how a low carb diet can help.

I'm glad you got your blood sugar under control. We're pretty impressed with how much different this diet has made us feel. My wife used to have huge acid-reflux problems and they're gone. We sleep better too and we haven't caught as much as a cold since we switched over.

Eh, they fed us mashed potatoes in the hospital probably every second day so I figure they can't be ALL bad in moderation. And when I'm feeling blue I'll hit Wendy's for some chicken nuggets and a baked potato and it doesn't throw m TOO far off the wagon. No point losing weight if your sanity goes along with it.

I think people usually say "You look so thin!" I think I still look like crap, but it's THINNER crap. I'll take it. :)

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,604 Posts
I'm not total keto, but it seems way more sustainable than a lot of "diets". It's almost a shame to call it a diet because it's probably the way you should be eating (unless you're a vegetarian or vegan).

I gave up the fake butter a whlie ago. I figure I'm better off with real butter than chemicals.

I LOVE mashed cauliflower so I can still get that mashed potato feel with the little frozen versions. Just moderating the amount of food I'm eating has made a HUGE difference for me. If I decide to have pasta I don't have a ginormous mound that fills the plate, I have a much smaller portion.

But those Cokes...theycalltome.....daily.

·
Registered
73 Posts
AWESOME! Congrats on your success.

My wife and I started doing keto a little over a month ago, and like you I swear it is magic in a bottle. I've always had trouble losing weight even when eating "healthy foods" at a caloric deficit and exercising. We watched a documentary called "The Magic Pill" and it got me interested in how fat hat been given a bad wrap and I started researching a ketogenic diet. Well, I'm down 20 lbs and haven't had to exercise a bit. I'm only 7 lbs from my goal weight now and it's happened easier than I could have imagined.

Keep up the good work. I know this isn't really the place for it, but it would be awesome to see progress pictures. I suppose if you get to show off costumes it's still keeping with the theme.

·
Super Moderator
5,677 Posts
I was put in the hospital in February with what turned out to be gall bladder issues, coupled with a host of other things, and have radically altered my diet as a result.

Since then I've systematically cut out corn syrup, and most corn products as well (which, holy crap that's hard. Why is corn in EVERYTHING?). I'm working on the sugars, and generally doing the many small snacks as opposed to big meals style of eating, but full keto is probably not doable with my gall bladder. I can't have most sugar substitutes due to allergy, either, and stevia in particular will kill me.

Let's just say most scales don't go high enough for me to get raw numbers (over 300), but I'm wearing pants that haven't fit in 8 years.

I'm not getting comments, but it's really most noticeable in my face, and since I grew a beard in October, and only recently shaved it off, most folks just mark the changes to the lack of beard.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm working on the sugars, and generally doing the many small snacks as opposed to big meals style of eating, but full keto is probably not doable with my gall bladder. I can't have most sugar substitutes due to allergy, either, and stevia in particular will kill me.
Have you checked out erythritol, xylitol, or monk fruit? They are all pretty decent and don't have that "artificial sweetener" taste.

... and only recently shaved it off, most folks just mark the changes to the lack of beard.
NOOO! The loss of a beard a shame. I am sorry for your loss.

·
Super Moderator
5,677 Posts
Have you checked out erythritol, xylitol, or monk fruit? They are all pretty decent and don't have that "artificial sweetener" taste.
Erythritol is made from known allergens, unknown if the process would pass those on.
Monk fruit would be death.
Don't know about Xylitol.

[/quote]

NOOO! The loss of a beard a shame. I am sorry for your loss.[/QUOTE]

I could have long flowing hair all over my head, and opt for the ease of being bald as possible.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Erythritol is made from known allergens, unknown if the process would pass those on.
Monk fruit would be death.
Don't know about Xylitol.
That sucks. What is it that you're allergic to? I'd hate to feed something to someone and unknowingly poison them.

·
Super Moderator
5,677 Posts
Ironically it's all the same allergy, just the list of related plants is enormous. Watermelon put me in the hospital when I was a kid. We just figured melons.

Well, it turns out I'm just SEVERELY allergic to ragweed (stevia is comes from a close relative). Unfortunately the substance in the ragweed pollen I'm allergic to is in melons (monk is a melon), bananas, corn (I used to only be allergic to the pollen, but the trace amounts in even processed corn products now gets me to have minor reactions), kiwi, passion, sunflowers, and most squash, including pumpkins...

That last...I suck up and deal with every year with a planned shot the day before we clean the 100+ pumpkins, and I'll still swell up.

Anyhow, in other news benedryl (what I was using to manage the allergies) causes gallbladder problems.

We discovered the corn in the diet was actually contributing to my normal allergy problems, and I've managed to cut my allergy meds all together by cutting corn out of the diet. Soda was easily the hardest thing to cut (and most healthy change).

·
Registered
73 Posts
Oh, holy moly. I do not envy your allergies. I'm mildly allergic to shellfish and that presents enough inconveniences for me, let alone being allergic to basically everything.

Now I am going down the rabbit hole to see what else falls into that family so I know what not to give people if I happen to know what they're allergic to. I would have NEVER made the connection between pumpkins, bananas, and stevia.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,604 Posts
I wouldn't have made that connection either.

It's summer & summer to me means melons of all kinds, especially cantaloupe & watermelon. I've got several vines going in the garden right now. I had cantaloupe for breakfast (with some tuna). I would really miss melons this time of year. Same for corn on the cob or corn in general. I've had to cut that way back but this time of year I have to have corn on the cob. I just don't have 3 cobs, I'll have one or half of one.

·
Super Moderator
5,677 Posts
I haven't tested the theory yet, but I can probably eat corn on the cob. I'm not going into the whole debate on GMO corn other than to say they are specifically increasing the thing I'm allergic to with it. So, for ME, personally, GMO corn is a bad idea. Corn on the cob is typically NOT GMO, and might be fine. I do plan on having corn on the cobb at some point this summer and see how it goes.

Similarly corn starch is likely ok, due to how it is processed, but I'm taking the limit it as much as possible approach. (why is it in sour cream again?)

·
Registered
73 Posts
That's a theory I'd be hesitant to test.

To answer your question about why corn is in EVERYTHING...because we grow a ton of it and we gotta do something with it. Seriously, they invent new ways to use it in place of other things (or just add it for no real reason at all) simply because we've got too much of it.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,604 Posts
Once again, oy vey on the corn thing.

What crazy for me is that I didn't realize I felt so bad until I felt good. I'm not getting up at 6AM every day & most likely never will be an early riser. I've been a night person since I was born at 11:52PM in 1967! But I don't feel nearly as tired as I did, my skin is better, my hair is less dry, just all sorts of things are better since I started the right meds & lost weight.

I'm 5'2" & at one point in the last couple of years I was 170. Then I was at 150-55 when I first was diagnosed as diabetic literally 2 days after my birthday in March, now I'm, crap, I dunno, under 145 I think, I haven't weighed myself this week. I just know I've gone down 2 sizes in everything but my shoes!

This losing weight/diabetic thing is expensive! Between the new clothes, meds & the grocery store visits for fresh veggies & better food in general I can understand how some just don't take their meds & end up eating crap. Crap is cheaper & even with coupons from the drug makers insulin is expensive & so are the various other pills you may have to take.

Thankfully we have really good insurance &, unless Trump really goes nuts cutting the Feds, my husband has a good job with the Feds & I've got a decent part time job. But I completely understand how someone may have to choose between their insulin or buying their kid diapers & that's just wrong on so many levels.

·
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My wife and I started doing keto a little over a month ago, and like you I swear it is magic in a bottle. I've always had trouble losing weight even when eating "healthy foods" at a caloric deficit and exercising. We watched a documentary called "The Magic Pill" and it got me interested in how fat hat been given a bad wrap and I started researching a ketogenic diet. Well, I'm down 20 lbs and haven't had to exercise a bit. I'm only 7 lbs from my goal weight now and it's happened easier than I could have imagined..
Hey BileFreeze! Thanks for the kind words and congratulations on the weight loss. I've heard good things about The Magic Pill but never knew what it was about.

Yeah, my wife keeps saying she feels horrible that people think she worked so hard to lose the weight. It's really been pretty easy so far.

The news is always so skeptical about how hard it is to eat Keto and whether it actually works. But it seems to be an easy win for most people. Much easier than eating salads all the time.

RCIAG, my wife and I have a theory that if you drink your coke seperate from your meals, you do way less damage. Like your insulin would spike when you drank the Coke, and that would cause your body hoard the calories. So if you have a coke, you should avoid eating for a bit. (I have a nasty slurpee habit which I'm trying to moderate).

But when I was in the hospital, I said "As long as I'm here, I'll only eat what they feed me" and eventually the craving for sugar went away completely. (Until I messed myself up again.)

·
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
UnOrthoDox, that's fantastic that you managed to lose 8 years worth of weight. Whatever you're doing, keep it up if you can.

I don't know anything about dealing with those kind of issues regarding allergies and your gal bladde, rbut it's great that you're managing to persevere. I know that makes things a ton more complex. And a lot more difficult to keep the cravings at bay.

I have read that grazing isn't ideal because it makes your insulin spike every time you eat, which makes you hungry. But you're having great results, so there's no way I'm gonna argue with you.

The one thing I will say is the whole Intermittent Fasting thing seems to be a huge tool to keep losing weight after you've already lost a bunch. And as the author of "The Obesity Code" says, anyone can do it. If you don't have time, or money, or don't know how to cook, you can still not eat. And you can add fasting to whatever diet your doing. Doesn't have to be Keto.

·
Super Moderator
5,677 Posts
My only real craving problem is the soda.

And I still slip occasionally on that. I've moved to sugar based instead of corn syrup, and cut down to 1 a day most days, but occasionally I'll have a bad day, and down 5-6.

I reach for one of the Simply _______ juices or a V8 most times when the craving hits, but sometimes they arent available and I have problems.

Anyone else have good soda craving management tricks, or did you just go diet versions?

·
Registered
73 Posts
My only real craving problem is the soda.

And I still slip occasionally on that. I've moved to sugar based instead of corn syrup, and cut down to 1 a day most days, but occasionally I'll have a bad day, and down 5-6.

I reach for one of the Simply _______ juices or a V8 most times when the craving hits, but sometimes they arent available and I have problems.

Anyone else have good soda craving management tricks, or did you just go diet versions?
La Croix/Sparkling Water/Seltzer are like crack to me. I've never been a big soda drinker, but I love the fizziness of sparkling waters. Some grocery stores even have sparkling waters that are flavored like sodas without any kind of sweetener, artificial or otherwise. There are some really awesome flavors of La Croix, but coconut is not one of them. Avoid coconut at all costs.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Congratulations, you guys! It is always great to hear people being positive about weight loss. I got too much negativity about my weight as a kid that it still affects me. I even see it today on the internet. If someone does something funny in a video, and they happen to be fat, someone's going to point it out. :(

I tried the whole30 diet a couple months back. I made it to 15 days, and lost 10-15 pounds, but on the 16th day, bye bye! I have depression and binge eating disorder, and eating is like an addiction to me. It's like cuddling a teddy bear when you're sad—literal comfort food. But the good feelings often last only about an hour before the regret sets in, and you know how I make those bad feelings go away? More food! I just tell myself to be grateful that it's not alcohol or tobacco.

Have you guys struggled with that? Has anyone tried whole30? I'd love to know!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts