Halloween Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a small reasonably inexpensive recordable unit that will play an endless loop of sound only and runs off battery power? Something the size of a cig pack or smaller.
In the barn haunt I want to make all the feed troughs and poo drops into toxic waste channels and where a walkway passes over I want a gurglig sound that will be the same at every crossing and only loud enough to just be heard. Thus my request.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
I might have to buy a few of the ones J-Man posted up those seem really killer for the price!!!
Yah, they work really well. It auto plays on power up which is nice, but there's a 2 second delay. Works for some applications but not when you need instant audio for certain props.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I bought 10 of the Ebay ones. Well see how many I can fry before I figure them out. Any idea how fast they eat batteries?

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
Not sure on the battery life when using the onboard amplifier. You can use D batteries if AA's get used up too fast.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Radio Shack once had talking chips, battery powered. I would substitute the battery with a transformer, clip off the push button switch and make a motion detector"s light switch do that job, hook up the speaker wired to an amplified speaker and "Tah! DAH!"
they eventually got dirty and quit working but I did get many years of almost every night "work" from them, where can I find more of these items?

·
Registered
240 Posts
I haven't seen a datasheet on this board to determine its power consumption, but a similar board I've seen will run ~3.5 hours on a 3.7v 600mAh battery.
I ordered a few of these off eBay yesterday. Running them off 3.7V li-po cells was what i had in mind too.

That way I can have cheap stand-alone audio for general atmospheric spookiness. :)

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
What is a li po cell ?
Lithium Polymer. LiPo battery packs come in voltages based on how many cells are wired together in series, each cell is 3.7 volts. LiPo batteries require special chargers to recharge them correctly and safely. Incorrect charging of LiPo batteries can cause fire and/or explosions. LiPo batteries are extremely compact and light weight for the amount of energy they supply.

·
Registered
240 Posts
A li-po (or lipo) cell is a Lithium Polymer battery. They are used in so many remote controlled toys these days and the prices are low.

I'd rather spend a little more on a li-po battery and be able to use it many times than waste money on dry cells (AA, etc).

Chargers are available cheaply and you can get little circuit boards to protect them too.

·
Registered
101 Posts
A li-po (or lipo) cell is a Lithium Polymer battery. They are used in so many remote controlled toys these days and the prices are low.

I'd rather spend a little more on a li-po battery and be able to use it many times than waste money on dry cells (AA, etc).

Chargers are available cheaply and you can get little circuit boards to protect them too.
This is great!

Would anyone be willing to recommend an inexpensive battery/charger (or source) that would work well with the MP3 board that was mentioned earlier in this thread?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts