Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So many years ago, our creative dude, Scott, and I (Drew) were on a mission to do Youtube videos for all of our props out in natural looking environments. We carry a lot of stuff now but at the time, our specialty was making gruesome looking animal props - like fake taxidermy stuff. Scott's actually a real taxidermist and did some really amazing work. So we had armfuls of this stuff - foam-filled dead dogs, maybe a severed head or something, and we were dragging around skinned fox props.

We finished up filming all of the props, setting them up on trees and splattering fake blood on the snow - that kind of thing. Then we started walking back to the shop down these train tracks. We could hear a train in the far distance getting closer and closer.

When it got into our sights, we saw that the train was braking and slowing down for us even though we were way far away. After realizing it was stopping, we walked towards it until a burly guy in overalls climbed out and walked towards us. He got closer, then started to back away and put his hands up, yelling, "STAY THERE! STAY THERE!"

After yelling back and forth for a while, we eventually realized he thought our skinned fox and dead dog props were actually real dead animals we were dragging through the woods.

"I THOUGHT YOU GUYS WERE SATANISTS DOING WEIRD STUFF IN THE WOODS, MAN."

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
Pretty funny, Drew.

Years ago at a mall, I was stuck behind a couple of teenaged girls (and total airheads) who were slowly walking side by side, taking up the entire entrance/exit hallway and getting on my nerves. Wearing a long, black leather coat, I got close and reached into my pockets; grabbed my matching gloves; and pulled them on in a deliberate manner, akin to a stalker. Doing that sure did get them moving in a hurry...:D

·
Arachnophiliac
999 Posts
Don't think I have any really good stories that come to mind... but this past August when my girl friend and I were getting our photos taken as saloon girls at the state fair (haha), the photographer and I were engaging in small talk while my friend changed clothes. He asked me about my job and stuff and one of his questions was:

"What made you decide to draw blood for a living?"

With a casual shrug, I replied, "I don't know, it just seemed fitting."

"Okay, now you're starting to scare me..."

In all seriousness, he was a cool guy and actually really into Halloween himself. He said he used to act in a big haunted house every year and he could tell (by how I was dressed, how at home I seemed in front of his camera, etc.) that I must possess the same flare for drama. I think it started when he complimented my gothic necklace and I mentioned that I bought at it Spirit Halloween. But his comment above made me chuckle and got a good laugh out of my friend too.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Several years ago, I had an electrician come over to quote putting power into my tool shed. I didn't think anything of the three buckies I was corpsing, that were hanging from the rafters to dry. I opened the door to the shed to let the electrician in, and walked in. I turned to talk to him, and he was running, I mean Olympic style sprinter, running through the gate back to his truck. I would have never thought someone that big could run that fast. He refused to roll down his window and drove off. I never heard from him again.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Having now had my Haunted House open for 9,855 nights, plus most Sat. and Sun, afternoons, I have scared so many, so many times with out realizing it .. wow!?
I have also accidentally scared away potentially paying customers too. (But sure NOT Meaning to!)
I have one of those times on video. I had all of the attention of one patron who had volunteered and was standing right before me in the front room (First room). As I was speaking , she slowly turns away and looks behind her, as she is turning slowly to face me once again I happened to make a slight hand gesture which was just slowly uncurling my hand from the wrist to possibly expose the palm..(Which had nothing to do with anything) She screamed and did a little jump! (Watch out for those invisible knives? Invisible
palm-dragons that will strip you of your precious flesh in 2 seconds?) Then she calmed down.
Then I asked her if she believed in "The Supernatural?"
"No."
Then I did a little effect that I still use that cost about $300 in materials. She let out a HUGE scream, turned, ran back to her friends seated at the back of the room , saying "You Lied To ME!" over and over again. I have no idea what they had told her .
So maybe the "accidental" scare set up the planned one? Or at least possibly elevated it?

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Over all these years I have also had a fair number of people return to confide in me that the first time they came through Ravens Grin, they were very scared for quite awhile because they simply thought I was totally nuts! Maybe a little too "Evil" to be acceptable? At least acceptable as the guy who has the power to keep the doors closed and is guiding you through a Bizarre house he has somewhat modified to suit His purposes? Most such thoughts/feelings are accidental as far as I am concerned.
All these fears are eased when they keep discovering everyone is mostly laughing, most of the time from what I am doing and saying and showing them here.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't think I have any really good stories that come to mind... but this past August when my girl friend and I were getting our photos taken as saloon girls at the state fair (haha), the photographer and I were engaging in small talk while my friend changed clothes. He asked me about my job and stuff and one of his questions was:

"What made you decide to draw blood for a living?"

With a casual shrug, I replied, "I don't know, it just seemed fitting."

"Okay, now you're starting to scare me..."

In all seriousness, he was a cool guy and actually really into Halloween himself. He said he used to act in a big haunted house every year and he could tell (by how I was dressed, how at home I seemed in front of his camera, etc.) that I must possess the same flare for drama. I think it started when he complimented my gothic necklace and I mentioned that I bought at it Spirit Halloween. But his comment above made me chuckle and got a good laugh out of my friend too.
Reminds me of another time - on my way to work once, wearing clothes covered in fake blood, I stopped at a gas station and the attendant looked me up and down and said,

"is that....paint?"

I looked at her very sternly and just replied with

"No."

·
Mad Monster Maker
2,673 Posts
When I was 8 or 9 years old, I accidently gave myself a good scare one summer night.

My father had a vegetable garden surrounded by a fence, The fence had openings 2" by 3", and it was coated with white rubber. My father got fed up with the rabbits and squirrels eating his veggies, so he decided to take the whole thing out. I took the two sections of fencing and promptly created 2 life-sized dummies. I left them standing in the backyard, and didn't give them another thought.

I spent the entire next day at a friends house, arriving home after dark. As soon as I walked in, my father asked me where "Do you know where the shovel is? We can't find it."; I remembered that I left in the backyard, and promptly went to retrieve it. I had completely forgotten about the dummies, and in the light of the full moon, they really stood out. I didn't look up to notice them until I was about 10 feet away, but when I did, I turned and BOLTED. I got about 50 feet when I realized what they were and stopped, but I got quite the adrenalin rush.

·
Arachnophiliac
999 Posts
Several years ago, I had an electrician come over to quote putting power into my tool shed. I didn't think anything of the three buckies I was corpsing, that were hanging from the rafters to dry. I opened the door to the shed to let the electrician in, and walked in. I turned to talk to him, and he was running, I mean Olympic style sprinter, running through the gate back to his truck. I would have never thought someone that big could run that fast. He refused to roll down his window and drove off. I never heard from him again.
Hilarious! Surprised you didn't have cops arriving shortly thereafter.

·
Registered
87 Posts
:D
Hilarious! Surprised you didn't have cops arriving shortly thereafter.
I do volunteer work for the county, so most of the police and the fire/EMS know me. I sometimes wonder if the guy didn't call and give my address. No one ever mentioned it. I think he probably just thought they would think he was nuts. If he would have called, my neighbor probably would have gotten the call anyway, and he was used to my twisted sense of humor.:D

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Another instance I was reminded of - once went to go visit someone who was in the hospital and left work to go do it. Again, forgot that I was covered in fake blood. When I walked through the hospital doors, the two people behind a desk stood up with their eyes wide before I immediately rushed to explain.

Hah,

Another time, I took some time off from work to travel around Europe/Africa for a little. I brought my white tennis shoes covered in fake blood and crammed them in the sides of a backpack. They'd fall out frequently and eventually I got used to polite people bending down to pick them up, then pulling their hands away and walking off hurriedly.

Then I went to Morrocco and they fell out of my backpack when I got out of a cab. The driver grabbed them and said, "oh, do you work as a butcher?" like it was absolutely nothing. Different cultures, man!

-Drew

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
I would be thinking the person in the haunt tour was having a good time, not being terrorized or anything like that at all...then my old exit involved them going down a slide, then coming out the mouth of the big, steel Skull beside the house.
They would come out of the Skull, their feet would touch the ground, I would begin to say something, they would take off running to their car, jump in, slam the door , and burn rubber driving away!
The times this happened would always catch me totally by surprise because they gave no hint that they were scared at all, until they came out of the Skull.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
There Was a Young Couple..

Who would drive by my house maybe once every month or two. My house is almost hidden behind the store buildings in a dead-end parking lot. Not many accidentally find the house, you have to seek it.
I would smile, slowly begin strolling toward their car and they would accelerate quickly as if I had a baseball bat in one hand about to destroy the glass in the car or something?
Finally after quite a bit of this fearful behavior on their part, they braved-up and allowed me to speak to them.
They decided to give my house a "Try"! (Just the two of them)
Part way through the house I asked for a "Volunteer", then took the guy from the room. I had set him up to scare "Her".
When he scared her, she let out a scream, then proceeded to cal him every filthy name that I had ever heard! (Coming from the mouth of a cute little woman who looked as if she was somebody's Sunday school teacher!)

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Over the years there have also been couples who would sometimes require much time and a few visits to Ravens Grin before they would admit to being So Nervous coming into my house that they had left a note under the seat of their car explaining that they had entered my place at 9:00 on Sat. Night of the 15th of Feb. 2010.
One guy did a similar thing using his cell phone.
This makes me wonder if the exterior of the house is too scary looking? Or maybe I am too scary looking?
"But I never wear make-up or a mask!"
"Maybe you should start?"

1 - 15 of 15 Posts