Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I realized it was only three and a half months until Halloween (sounds much worse than 103 days, huh?) I knew it was time to start working heavily on my costume. I'd already collected a few items, but it's a very detail oriented costume, so the sooner the better.

Here's my initial sketches (trying to decide between sleeve types on the right)

Here's what I have so far:

a tiny hat

these tights

a whip

adornments

My question is, with the hat I had planned on a feather on the front like this:

(love this hat!)
But I'm not so sure about it now that I did a trial run.

What's your vote? Feather in front, feather in back, or no feather?
The hat will definitely have the gold trim running around the middle and maybe the brim, and an adornment made of several gold buttons, if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I personally like the feather in the front. It adds a bit more character. Maybe you could add a band or something to it?
Over all it looks amazingly adorable ^_^!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! There will definitely be more flair added to the hat, oh, ad I forgot to say, the feather will probably end up dyed red. Here's a sketch with color:

Is the color scheme boring? Too much black?

·
The Halloween King
626 Posts
Feel like i'm going against the popular trend here but i'm leaning towards the feather in the back. The arch it makes gives a good view of both.

If you go with it in front maybe angling it slightly to one side so you could see a little more of the hat? I dunno i just feel it overshadows it a bit.

Love the design and the idea though, very original!

Look fwd to seeing your progress.

·
Technological Terror
724 Posts
Whoa, I finally made it to the bottom of this thread! LOL
Nice idea! I think you should definitely keep the feather somewhere. It might help to adorn the hat with some jewels or something to make it a little more spectactular. Plus, the one in your photo is actually a bit bigger looking than the hat you have, so some beads, jewels, something may help it stand out.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Since the hat is rather small, I think I'd put the feather on the side with a gold, maybe sequin band around the hat. I love the drop front shorts with gold buttons in your drawing. But, I believe to pull off the lion tamer, you'll need to consider adding tails to your vest/corset and trimming those in gold. You've got a great start, HappyScientist, can't wait to see it progress!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Annea: there is definitely a lot of gold in it's future, especially on the vest, but I think you're right, I could stand to add more gold elsewhere on the costume, but where?

Costumer: thank you for your vote! I was hoping I'd get your comment on this! :)

Dan: thank you for your comments! I did think of something though, whether I put the feather on the back or the front, the hat is completely reversible. If I don't like it on one side, I can always turn it around to the other side! :)

Alucard: I think I will be adding a "broach" of sorts to the base of the feather made out of gold buttons. I believe it will give the costume some continuity. Also, I just love buttons!

Kittyvibe: This is the smallest feather of this type I could find. :( Smaller feathers tend to look more like this http://www.artbynature.ca/images/artsupplies/TurkeyFeather.jpg and I don't think that quite fits the style of the costume.

Sulkin, oh yes, there will be tails! :) You can't see them in the sketches, but there will be coattails down to almost my knees! Seems, we're on the same page!

·
Registered
803 Posts
I like the feather in the front. I agree about scaling it down. Could you maybe trim it up a bit?

I think your overall costume concept is fantastic. Good luck!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I added a band of crocheted loops to the inside of the hat so it will stay attached to my hair easily.
I'm hoping to get most of it done this weekend, but I just started sewing my husband's Elvis jumpsuit and it's calling my name!

·
Registered
174 Posts
You don't really need another opinion, but here's mine- I like the feather in the front. Your costume will be awesome, I love the idea.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you so much for all the opinions guys! I find them invaluable!

I have been trying to make progress, but tonight I think I took a step backwards. I wanted the feather to be red so I turned to my trusty way of dying fibers: Kool Aid.
It turned the perfect shade or red, but it never retained its original fluffiness

Orignal feather fluffiness:

Sad new, wimpy stringyness:

I don't know if this is a major setback to where I should try AGAIN to find an ostrich feather that's already red,
or if I should just go with this feather. I'm barely into this costume and already I'm having dilemma after dilemma! Sheesh! :)

At least my husband's costume is coming along swimmingly!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts