Halloween Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a frequent comment/complaint haunters have from what I can tell is that the ToTers run through the yard haunt to get their candy and probably don't really see what you've put out. So I was thinking maybe it's time for a new haunt tradition to start, "Smell the Coffin".

For those that would like their ToTers to slow down and "smell the coffin" so to speak (hey I was drinking coffee at the moment I thought of this), here's an idea I had. You only hand out candy if they can describe two or three props or tombstone sayings you have out in the yard without looking back. Can't come up with it, back you go to the street for another look. Maybe even put a sign on a few props saying something like "remember me" that they'd have to include in their items. Clearly the very little would be exempt and it probably wouldn't work well for those that see heavy traffic unless you in advance post a sign of what they need to do to get their candy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I love that idea! I haven't done an actual haunt yet, just a couple of parties a few years ago and decorations every year, but now that my kid is older, I'm going to aim for an actual walkthrough in the yard next year. I was considering having a well-defined, twisty pathway through my yard to the back corner of my house or maybe somehow blocking off the direct route to the front door. I like the idea of sort of having a verbal scavenger hunt in order to get more candy, will keep that in mind! Thanks!

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
I've probably said it 100 times in the last two years, but kids love interactivity at a haunt. It breaks the endless monotony of the repetitive task that is Trick or Treat. House after house, it is the same thing - knock on door or ring door bell, wait for answer, say "trick or treat," get candy. It easily gets boring after the first 20 times, let alone the first hundred.

So doing something to make your presentation of candy more interactive and different really brings smiles to the faces of kids and parents alike.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts