Halloween Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a lot of places are going towards community "Trunk or treating" and I'm kinda ok with that. However I've gotta vent about something else. My wife and I took our 9 year old out through our own neighborhood and out of the 5 houses that had decorations out, 3 said they hadn't gotten their candy yet...and it was 5:30. I mean this day happens every year on the same day!. The kicker was the house that had a mean looking Akida tied to their porch (along with their spiderwebs other decor) who stopped my little one about 15 feet away and said "He doesn't like kids" Decorate for kids, buy candy for kids, invite kids to your house....leave kid hating dog in front yard. good job folks. Is it just me or is that like giving Korans, and Dreidels for Christmas gifts?...GGGRRRRR ok I vented

·
Registered
56 Posts
I got in plenty of sweeties for the kids and still have loads left,, but they were all so polite,as to not seem greedy and taking one piece each and/or telling others to leave some for other tots, I kept having to tell them, 'No! Go on grab a handful!' I always think, If a house has a display in the front garden or in the window it means they are up for trick or treaters, I mean.. why bother otherwise?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I'm all ready but no trick or treaters yet, maybe they are waiting for it to be dark. I just got a text from my sister in north Florida and she's already had 20. This is the first year I made treat bags, I hope they all get distributed!

Dogs do not belong outside on Halloween unless they love kids and are very well behaved. Mine loves kids but she's not a good girl so she stays inside and I sit outside with the candy. Normally this works out well, however it is unseasonably warm here, upper 80's, I could use the AC that my dog is enjoying.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
My mom always decorates outside and then comes to MY house on halloween so she doesn't have to pass out candy. I gripe at her all the time about that because it seems cruel and I'm surprised no one has vandalized her place yet.

·
🎃 | )ark ( )verlord 🎃
1,095 Posts
Wish I got more.... I'm sad

·
Registered
766 Posts
Were suppose to start at 6pm but kids started coming at 530 so we started then..... ran to about 815. We got at least 500
kids. We usually do every year. It was crazy but fun. Some kids came by at 830 but we were out of candy by then. Till next year......

·
Registered
664 Posts
Dogs and Halloween do not mix unless it is very well behaved.

My Shih Tzu goes insane when anyone comes to the door so she was upstairs behind the gate. She's safer and so are the kids. She can cope for 5 hours being upstairs.

She wasn't very thrilled though lol

As for the other homes that decorated and didn't have candy... what is the thought behind that? I can't even imagine. Even if you are waiting for sales? Go that morning. It takes 15 mins to go to a CVS, Walgreens, Walmart, Target where ever and buy 4 bags. If you are that short of time get it while grocery shopping.

There is no excuse (except lack of money in which case the decorations should be off) for no candy.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Sorry you experienced that. Luckily the neighborhood we moved to we were warned in advance it was a Halloween go to spot. Boy did the underestimate. We had 380 kids we gave treats to. That is not including the 2 or more adults with each kid. It was extremely busy. Even the houses that didnt decorate had their tv's outside watching the Gators game and giving out candy. It was really nice overall. I uploaded all my videos and got everything down and ready to start on Christmas now.

I can truly say this year we were blessed to have moved to this place in Citrus County, Florida. Very nice community and we met so many neighbors last night there is no way to remember all of their names. This is the type of neighborhood I remember as a kid. It's rare to find one and too many places are becoming what you vented about. If people are not going to give candy or treats for kids, don't decorate or put on lights. Just saying...

The dogs here are very nice. The only bad part was the families trick or treating with the dogs I ended up scaring the dogs with the props. But they were all well behaved. I would not be happy if I ended up having a situation like yours. Might go off on someone and let my inner devil unleash on them.
NO KID should be cheated on Halloween.
PERIOD!

·
Registered
460 Posts
It's not like handing out dreidel so or korans at Christmas. it is weird, though, particularly the dog who hates kids being left out.

i don't get home till 7 normally, so at home I wouldn't be able to hand anything out till then. Since this was a Saturday, I was home all day, so no big deal.

Growing up, I think trick or treating normally started around 6:00, since it would be dark enough to be fun, but early enough that smaller children could still get a full night's trick or treating in and get home at a reasonable time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Glad you had kiddos! My mom had 2 all day, and we had about 3 groups that we know of...oh yea and the group of teens who took the whole bowl while we were out with our own kids. Luckily we had half our candy to pass out when we came back to dry off. Rained, rained, and rained some more. Nothing like Halloween in the Midwest! Especially in a town with restricted hours that happened during the rainiest part of the day! Boo! Fun anyway!

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Why the heck does anyone do trick or treating before 7:00? Lots of folks who work haven't even gotten home by then yet alone had time to change, get some dinner and relax a bit.
I've noticed that in my neighborhood, kids generally go out between 7 and 9. (I think actually 9 is our "curfew.") But we got two little ones at 6:30. They were special needs kids. I can fully understand their parents wanting to take them out earlier, when the streets weren't filled up yet (they have autism) and it was lighter out and not as scary and not as over-stimulating with everyone having their lights, animatronics, etc. out and going yet.

When I was little, we used to have two waves of ToTers. The really little ones, preschool through probably first grade, would go out RIGHT after school, I guess because it was light out and not as scary. Then the bigger kids would go out once it got dark, whatever time that was. But nowadays I don't see parents doing that.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Why the heck does anyone do trick or treating before 7:00? Lots of folks who work haven't even gotten home by then yet alone had time to change, get some dinner and relax a bit.
We went out at 5:30 because it was threatening to rain. When it's only 6C, you really don't want to be out in the rain. We've HAD to do it the last 4 years running and it's utter misery. It ended up holding off until 9pm, but there was no real way of knowing that. That and some little ones go to bed at 7, and do NOT do well with staying up late. Mine are ok, but I know some kids their ages who keeping them up half an hour past bedtime is a nightmare. If some people aren't home or ready yet, shrug and continue on.

·
Registered
414 Posts
And no, dogs should be crated if crate trained or otherwise kept away from where trick or treaters are. It's an odd event, and in unusual circumstances like one night a year getting all kinds of small noisy excited strangers coming to your door constantly can freak out even the most placid dog, and a freaked out dog, even if normally gentle might not be. It's just safer for doggy and kids to keep them separated for this one night. I saw some families out walking their dog while taking the kids out trick or treating, and while that might be better because they don't have the instinct of having to defend their home, I still was a bit uncomfortable. I'm not saying they will freak out or that even if they do that they might hurt someone, but it's best not to take chances

·
Registered
80 Posts
Ours is a one night only, the night before Halloween because of a big parade in town. Kids can stand on the side walk and have candy thrown at them at the parade. The night before there are many trunk or treat spots. Kids don't have to do any leg work anymore.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts