Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping someone can help point me in the right direction :) I'm looking for some dark music for a tiki haunt. What I want is music like what u might think of during a headhunter/cannibal attack or maybe during a human sacrifice. I've tried looking for tropical drum music (as that's my best description) but all it turns up is calypso music. I'm wanting the darker, impending doom music......no lyrics...some chanting, hollering okay....slight jungle sounds r okay....

I'm thinking of doing a theme centered around Survivor (requiring a new cast call as all the contestants have "disappeared")

Im thinking of making it look very tropical with hints of cannibalism everywhere. We even want to do a bloody sacrificial rock/table/alter where all are guests will be competing in multiple challenges.

In addition if you know of any darker luau music we can play later in the night that might b fun after all our party guests have arrived.

As always, thank you all so much for your help :)

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
Give a listen to "Ghost Dance" by a band called Cusco. A little lighter in tone, it features a flute as well as drums. BTW, I think luau/Tiki parties are the bomb! Pass out grass skirts for the female guests, and leis (flower garlands) all around!
You mentioned "Survivor"; would that be Survivor Samoa?

·
Registered
228 Posts
so what you want is a native/tribal/voodoo/ritual drum beat with/without chanting just drums no guitars or syth's like the instrumental to Godsmacks voodoo just the drums is that what your looking for

·
Mad Monster Maker
2,674 Posts
I have a few suggestions.

I'm not sure if these are exactly what you had in mind, but go to Youtube and search "The Tiki Tones" and "Los Tiki Phantoms" (also "Los Tiki Phantoms featuring "Daddy I'm A Zombie"")

Here are a few "fun" songs with dark undertones that, while not exactly tiki, may fit your theme nonetheless:

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Omg thank you all so much, I really like the tribal drum ones but now that I've listened to the Nox Arcana Trove Island I think that some of the background music helps add some eerieness...heading over too check out their other music...again thank u guys so much

And Wolfman that's exactly it :) I love the tiki luau theme but wanted to incorporate the whole survivor games things (feats of strength, games of wit and eating competitions)...I figure the concept of the original contestants being eaten helps not only build the theme but makes way for some fun props :) I'm hoping for the invite I can do a video invite of a news article where they are telling everyone of the "cancelled/postponed" season if new contestants can't be located

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,976 Posts
If you're looking for authentic tiki/lounge music, hit up Youtube & search for "exotica", "Martin Denny," & "Augie Colon" to name a few. We named one of our cats after Augie Colon. At least that's what my husband's story is, I say it's after Augie Doggie.

·
Super Moderator
5,787 Posts
Oh...just saw this...

This is a quest I know a LOT about.

Djembe music is the 'traditional" african music.

And...I like it, but it's a lot higher pitch than I really like to use...

To get good 'tribal' drum music, I actually had to seek it in Japan.

TAIKO music!

Two of my favorite groups
Portland Taiko (give it a minute)

Or if you're impatient:

And Kodo:

Kodo is technically superior, but I've found some of their recordings just don't do the music justice.

Other music I've filled in with include selections from Djembe 2

http://www.amazon.com/Djembe-2-Famoudou-Konate/dp/B00004RD3Q/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1415886261&sr=1-3&keywords=Famoudou+Konate

·
Registered
228 Posts
you could make one with a skull on a bamboo stick with some raffia the red glowing eyes and shaking head will be not as easy but a bunch of them would look pretty scary like walking in to a head hunters camp

1 - 20 of 23 Posts