Halloween Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Hello Robin. Abunai is correct. The Pico-Storm is a good one. I have a couple of other options to consider. I am not sure about your budget or how much area you have to cover so at least you have some choices.

Lights Alive Firefly Series This is a top notch system but is at the higher end price wise. Excellent System!!! Does a fantastic job.
http://lights-alive.com/

iZombie Good units. Comparable to the PicoStorm and units that also offer more.
http://www.i-zombie.com/pages/lightning-controllers.php

Perfect Storm Lightning and Thunder Effects The smallest and least expensive. I have not used this but I believe others on the forum have. At one time Walmart offered them.

I hope this helps a little and good luck this October with a new thunderstorm!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I'm looking to spend around $300 for one.
Also thought about buying a PA System for it also. Not sure if the pa system will work with it or not.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
I've been using the i-Zombie multi-channel for several years, great unit and in your price range. You can connect it to any amplifier/stereo system.

·
Registered
196 Posts
For the sake of automation, I like to use a picostorm wrapped in plastic, 6 cool white LED spot lights, and a pair of bose outdoor speakers with a built in amp. Everything was $400 total. I keep it out for the entire month of October.

The reason I say automation is that the everything is plug and play. I set a timer for it and once there is power it goes. I believe the picostorm can be triggered too...not sure though...gonna try it this year. Ambient music playing with a lightning effect when people walk by would be SWEEET!!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LightsAlive
Can this be hooked up to a PA system or an amplifier ? I would perfer hooking it to the pa system.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Absolutely. There's a 1/8" stereo jack for output to a PA, amplifier, computer speakers, etc. The audio input is also a 1/8" stereo jack. Adapters are easily available if your PA has different connectors for the input.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Man theres a lot more out there than I thought. I dont have a pa system yet, I was planning on buying one just for the T&L machine.
Cause I want it to look cool and sound awesome.

LightsAlive is there a customer service # I can call ?

Trail of Terror I will keep you in mind.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I'm a proud owner of a FireFly. It does a great job. I borrow a couple speakers and mixing board from a local band and you would think a pretty nasty storm is brewing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You can look on musicians friend for low price PA combos some are as low as $200.00. Also you may want to consider buying a multi channel unit. I have a firefly FF-101 and while its a cool effect I wish that I had bought a multi channel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You may want to look into the Thor 2, Lighting and Thunder controller from HauntHackers.com. It's uses low power (12 volt) LED lights for the Lightning Flash and create the audio to play via your haunts sound system. The DYI version lists for $99.

I used the first version in my Haunt Display and it was very effective with great thunder sound (I used a sub-woofer) and the LEDs that I used created very bright flash. Nice thing about 12 Voltage LEDs is their power is very safe when used in the wet outdoors.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I don't mean to hijack this thread but I have a related question. I have 3 projection ghosts. 2 on the inside of my house projected onto windows. I also have one outside projected onto a black scrim. I am interested in adding a lightning effect but I am worried it will washout my projection ghosts. Anyone have projection ghosts and a lightning machine? Does this cause any issues?

Thanks

·
Registered
483 Posts
Absolutely. There's a 1/8" stereo jack for output to a PA, amplifier, computer speakers, etc. The audio input is also a 1/8" stereo jack. Adapters are easily available if your PA has different connectors for the input.
Looking at getting either your 101 or 211 at MHC. Just one question... it says it comes with a thunder track on CD. I assume I could burn that to MP3 and run the Firefly off an iPod just as easy? I'm not sure if my old portable CD player even works any more.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts