Halloween Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a "broken" store display pretty cheap, and I think I've figured out how to repair it. the small screws holding the 2 uprights for the pivot point were stripped out, and it looks to be missing a rod that goes thru with a screw that holds it in place. Can anyone take a pic or 2 of the area so I can make sure to put him back together properly? I've bought the next size screw and am thinking of using Plastic weld to reattach the uprights, but the rod that goes thru I bought a length of steel rod and once the uprights are in place I'll cut it to length. Does Tekky glue the electrical connectors together or is this just on store displays, it'd make it so much easier if I could disconnect the clown from the base.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I think store displays are made a bit different than the actual product. Our store display died too. (one of the reasons I purchased our display instead of the boxed version) Honestly 75% of our displays ended up breaking after a week or 2 of being out. He stopped thrashing and he would start laughing and then just slowly die. But I noticed he works 100% when hes plugged in. Not battery.

Not sure if these pics will help, but this is what the inside of mine looks like.

1461409_683071055038350_1861505044_n.jpg

993441_683070981705024_2074110261_n.jpg

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That helps immensly. Where the metal "rod" is, what material is the piece that goes side to side made of? are there washers or anything there or just plastic on plastic?/ the manager at the store told me he "broke" after a few days on display (course there was never a screw attached on one side of the rod, no threads in hole) causing me to believe the rod slipped out and they kept it running which pulled the screws. is it possible for a pic 90* of those?

·
Registered
13 Posts
My Thrashing Clown is broken as well. I bought it for 50 bucks after Halloween was over and I am trying to do the repairs myself. My problem seems to be the control module. I took it apart and found 3 broken wires. Any way someone can pull the 4 screws holding the cover on and take some detailed pictures so that I can see where the wires need to be reattached? Please help. Thanks.

Cheers!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I take mine apart to begin my repairs, hopefully this weekend, (we have a baby shower and a bday party both days), but most likely next, I can take the pics for you. I know my motor is a bit loose too, so either way i need to disassemble him a bit.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks!

Thank you. I have a speaker wire that is broken as well. Look forward to the help!
When I take mine apart to begin my repairs, hopefully this weekend, (we have a baby shower and a bday party both days), but most likely next, I can take the pics for you. I know my motor is a bit loose too, so either way i need to disassemble him a bit.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just letting you guys know I haven't forgotten, and the clown's been staring me down to fix him, but family life comes first.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Good luck with those repairs guys. I have a uncle Charlie prop that I have had my fill of. Had all kinds of problems with the piece the head slides into. Got it fixed for my Halloween party and it was fine. Then I go and get him for Halloween night and he had fell over and broke again. I may just use him as a static prop next year.
Some times it seems like all I do is fix broken props.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was just looking at buying Uncle Charlie on Ebay. No chance you'd be looking to sell would it Cbonz?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for keeping us in mind, DvlsToys. I'm looking forward to getting my prop fixed so I can place him around the house to scare my kids when they wake up in the mornings!

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
The 'chinese weld' is hot glue for everything. It's terrible really, which is why a lot of the stuff has problems. That, and the plastic gearing. I tried to fix my tombstone lifer the other day and inside I found a half dozen gears to step down the motor so the prop will slowly lift the tombstone. Something got whacked with the gearing and that was that- broken. Of the couple props I've done surgery on my success rate is zero, sorry to say. Oh wait, I fixed demonica and she's a champ now but that was just a disconnected wire in her head. Good luck to you, but in my experience it's better to buy a working prop than spend any amount on a busted one. They're just too finicky under the hood.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
DSC00866.jpg DSC00867.jpg DSC00868.jpg DSC00869.jpg DSC00870.jpg DSC00871.jpg Hope these pics help. the box the speaker is in is a friggin bowl of spaghetti and doesn't open far. BUT the good news is after switching out the screws for a slightly larger screw and putting a ~2" rod in the pivot point he works great. though I kinda prefer his motion before I "fixed" him. He thrashed way more then.

·
Registered
13 Posts
DvlsToy, thank you for the pictures! I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out . Unfortunately the picture of the Spaghetti of wires inside the speaker box is blurry. That's what I really needed the pics of. I can't tell where my wired need to go. I really appreciate your help, nonetheless. I have 3 or 4 wires that are broken in there. I'll try again from what I can see from your pics. Take care and I'm glad that you were able to fix your thrasher!
Cheers!

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
There was once a couple of spooky-themed restaurants who had robotic props as their entertainment. they bought these items from movie effects venders , a month later many problems showed up, they were breaking. The owner went back to the prop's builders and said:"You have to do better than this."
They did better but the place still closed anyway.
Moral of the story:"Quality" always helps a lot, especially if it happens to be there to begin with!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well Gym, we only use our props for one weekend a year when we go camping, because our neighborhood doesn't get that many TOTs. Maybe 10, TOPS vs 300+ at the campground. so I don't see putting out the money for "quality" props yet (or a way to transport them). and when I do see the need, IE our swaying drunk clown based on the swaying zombie, or the ticket booth I am now required to build, I will do my best to build them myself. BUT thanks to this guy (thrashing clown, broken/easy fix) we are now going with a clown/carnival theme for the next few years.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts