Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on building an old-timey fruit stand, except appropriately disgusting and gross. The stand's coming along great (thank you, leftover half rotten lumber pile from deck rebuild) but now I'm getting into the fruits and I could use some suggestions.

I am primarily focused on rotten apples because of the orchard history of where I live. I'm starting with your basic Dollar Tree plastic-coated-foam variety. They aren't too bad, but they look too nice and not nearly gross and squishy enough. Here's what I've done so far:

Basically, I melted it (lit on fire in a few places). The foam bubbles up through the plastic then shrinks back down and makes nice voids and wrinkles. I'd though maybe acetone would do some nice melting, but apparently wrong type of foam. It's too evenly fake red, so this would need paint. But I'll need to do quite a few of these, and that would get time consuming. Also concerned about the stems melting too much. I think my next venture will involve a test run with the gas grill.

Thoughts on other treatments for making nasty, rotting, oozy, fairly realistic fake apples? Puddles of rotten fruit slime (gorilla glue comes to mind)?

I'm also open to suggestions for other fall produce to include. Thinking about dried out gross-painted corn (is there realistic cheap fake corn? the DT stuff looks too fake. Preferably with husks attached for hanging. Or I could just buy some real corn and let it "air out".). And a big jar of pickled eyeballs. There will also be real non-rotten pumpkins.

Credit where due, this is inspired by these two older posts:
http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/141508-help-looking-poisoned-fruit-stand-ideas.html
http://www.halloweenforum.com/general-halloween/86160-our-creepy-farm-setup.html

·
Registered
322 Posts
Oh, and maybe add some worms or maggots. You can get some in the fishing tackle isle and they really add to the gross factor.

·
Registered
322 Posts
The flocking will make it look furry. I wouldn't put maggots on all of them, just a few select pieces.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts