Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about making a hanging dummy and hanging it from my porch this year. Just from a quick Google search it appears that there is some controversy over hanging dummies. I just wanted to get peoples thoughts and opinions on what appears to a somewhat touchy subject. And if anyone has made some in years past I would love to see pictures.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,469 Posts
Hanging props can be touchy subject for some folks. They evoke visions of suicide, lynchings, and other unpleaasnt incidents. IMHO, it has nothing to do with Halloween. A hanging skeleton would likely be more acceptable than a full body form. If you opt to do it, know that you may get negative reactions and that someone is going to find it offensive.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Thanks Shaney G for giving me something to think about while drinking my tea this morning:D
I am only playing Devil's advocate because I really hadn't thought about it until I read your post --
I can see how there could be a some controversy over it -- but couldn't there be controversy over much of the Halloween props (ie.,murder scenes, body parts...) and even Halloween itself? I personally find zombie babies offensive because I hate to think of any baby dying, I think graveyards are disturbing because they evoke memories of a personal painful loss. One year we did a Rigor Mortgage Haunted House For Sale and the sign out front said "re-POSSESSION" with an X through the 're' and some friends and neighbors were offended because they were struggling with a foreclosure. I suppose my point is......I think Halloween props should be viewed for what they are ----decorations and the only personal statement anyone displaying them is saying is "I love Halloween!."

·
Registered
865 Posts
I almost have always have a hanging dummy. In the Salem year, it was a witch. Last year, it was a cowboy. It's authentic to the story and I've never had any negative reaction at all. Frankly, it's never occurred to me to worry about it. The whole holiday is offensive to someone when you look at it that way.

Last year I found an epitaph on the web and painted it on an old rotting piece of wood next to the hanging cowboy. It read: He was right. We was wrong. But we strung him up and now he's gone. I saw people reading it but most of them laughed. I didn't see anyone get angry or have them confront me about it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have wanted to make one for several years now but have shied away from it for probably the same reasons you are Shaney G. I saw some articles online where towns freaked out because of a hanging prop claiming it was either a racist display or a political statement or anti-religious or making fun of people who have committed suicide, etc. etc. etc. It's pretty messed up how much people read into it. Like was said above - Halloween, they way most of us celebrate it, isn't for the meek. We go all out which usually means that in a world where everyone is offended by something - we run the risk. I am still thinking about making one again this year... your decision may help sway me one way or the other.

Some examples of people freaking out over hanging dummies for those who haven't heard of the issue before...
http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/45731282.html
http://althouse.blogspot.com/2007/10/about-that-hanged-man-halloween.html
http://www.dailycal.org/2012/10/30/fraternitys-halloween-decoration-prompts-outcry/
http://www.your4state.com/story/halloween-display-screams-racism-to-some/d/story/-WETTgwVhEaPc5a4d5-9_w

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have a skeleton hanging from a noose at my house. I personally agree with what some of the others said that if they want to find something offensive...they will. It's a Halloween prop. If this is your ONLY prop outside...maybe a bit bad taste...otherwise...I don't seen an issue with it.

·
Seer of All
2,937 Posts
It's apparently quite trendy to be offended by a hanging effigy, although it makes no sense to me. Do whatever you're comfortable with but be prepared for the negative reactions.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I did a hangman one year. No one said anything about it, but I did not get a warn fuzzy feeling about it from the parents. I never used it again.
My approach is, if you have to ask then don’t do it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
There was a news story in cleveland a couple years back about it. The news anchors were objective. The people they interviewed seemed to think it was in poor taste. I had a friend hang himself in high school. I don't like them. But he is now buried. And I have no problems with tombstones. I don't like hanging effegiesAll right people, we got 10 minutes 'till game time, let's all gather 'round. I'm not much for giving inspirational addresses, but I'd just like to point out that every newspaper in the country has picked us to finish last. The local press seems to think that we'd save everyone the time and trouble if we just went out and shot ourselves. Me, I'm for wasting sportswriters' time. So I figured we ought to hang around for a while and see if we can give 'em all a nice big ****burger to eat!, but if you want to. Do it!!!! People are so easily offended. I definitely suggest doing it if it will make you happy. Screw other people's opinions. (Mine included) this is your yard! This is your display! I don't like them so I don't use them. If you like them, I won't tell you how to live!!! Happy haunting!!!!

·
Jumpin' Jack Flash
1,232 Posts
There was a news story in cleveland a couple years back about it. The news anchors were objective. The people they interviewed seemed to think it was in poor taste. I had a friend hang himself in high school. I don't like them. But he is now buried. And I have no problems with tombstones. I don't like hanging effegiesAll right people, we got 10 minutes 'till game time, let's all gather 'round. I'm not much for giving inspirational addresses, but I'd just like to point out that every newspaper in the country has picked us to finish last. The local press seems to think that we'd save everyone the time and trouble if we just went out and shot ourselves. Me, I'm for wasting sportswriters' time. So I figured we ought to hang around for a while and see if we can give 'em all a nice big ****burger to eat!, but if you want to. Do it!!!! People are so easily offended. I definitely suggest doing it if it will make you happy. Screw other people's opinions. (Mine included) this is your yard! This is your display! I don't like them so I don't use them. If you like them, I won't tell you how to live!!! Happy haunting!!!!
i don't quite know what happened here but i love it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Try hanging cute little teddy bears, Sponge Bob, Patrick, Hello Kitty or any thing else that is cute and watch the negative response. But it is OK for your local waste management trucks to have them restrained on their sides. My personal favorite is hanging a stick man, you know, the kind that you draw, but it's gotta be tight as his neck is real thin.

Ron Ortiz
Moss4U........tonight's forecast, dark, with scattered light in the morning.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the responses everyone. I'm still on the fence about it but leaning towards doing it. Like others have said it's Halloween so why not.

I have wanted to make one for several years now but have shied away from it for probably the same reasons you are Shaney G. I saw some articles online where towns freaked out because of a hanging prop claiming it was either a racist display or a political statement or anti-religious or making fun of people who have committed suicide, etc. etc. etc. It's pretty messed up how much people read into it. Like was said above - Halloween, they way most of us celebrate it, isn't for the meek. We go all out which usually means that in a world where everyone is offended by something - we run the risk. I am still thinking about making one again this year... your decision may help sway me one way or the other.

Some examples of people freaking out over hanging dummies for those who haven't heard of the issue before...
http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/45731282.html
http://althouse.blogspot.com/2007/10/about-that-hanged-man-halloween.html
http://www.dailycal.org/2012/10/30/fraternitys-halloween-decoration-prompts-outcry/
http://www.your4state.com/story/halloween-display-screams-racism-to-some/d/story/-WETTgwVhEaPc5a4d5-9_w
You hit the nail on the head with your post. Articles like those are exactly why I am on the fence about this. I even found some local news articles similar to these. And with a high African American population in my area I don't want there to be backlash and having people claiming racism when that was not my intention whatsoever.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think if you go out of your way to make it something fun and specific, like a previous poster did with the cowboy and the sign next to him, then it's a lot harder to take offense than just an ominous dummy hanging from a tree.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts