Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm going bigger and bigger every year and with that, as we all know, comes with more expenses. I'm am building a website for my haunt this year and contemplated adding a "donation" link to a paypal account. Is this tacky, desperate, legal...?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks, J

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
I'll go with the assumption that this is a home haunt..
tacky - yep
desperate - yep
legal - yep....however, it could have insurance ramifications. I would doublecheck with your agent. Once money starts changing hands, you are not just a lil home haunt.

I wouldn't think of asking others to pay for my hobby. We all want to get from point A to point Z with our haunts, but often have to take a step back due to funds and time and go from point A to point B to point C. Yeah, that takes time and it sucks...I'm at point G myself

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
I heard that if you place your donation bucket at the end of your show , that this can somehow influence things in a positive way for you? Having a sign asking for donations at the beginning maybe makes it not so "right"?
Some sites on-line where people go looking for massive amounts of someone else's money to do "The Dream" (whatever it may be?) and then a week later have $20,000.... I think this is when a wealthy relative of theirs uses that format to hand them money, maybe a better legal way to do it in some way? Or to hide the fact from the recipient that they did it.

·
Registered
928 Posts
It makes sense that it would be better for you if you had the donation box at the end of the haunt.

Then it is clear that you are not charging to get in, just offering the chance for people to show their appreciation.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Does the same insurance info go for the same if you are taking donations for a charity? I get around 1,000 to my yard haunt, so I was thinking of a donation place for the humane society.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Interesting topic. Whether it's tacky or not is up for debate - for a lot of people, asking for money for anything aside from an established charitable cause always looks bad. For others, I think people would be happy to donate to something that they want to see flourish. The main issue, as others have pointed out, is that of insurance.

I'd be interested to hear the ins and outs of insurance for home haunts. When it comes to booking basement punk shows at houses, there's a strict policy to accept donations rather than charging a fee and that seems to make a difference. But that's not exactly the most reliable source on the planet now is it?

·
Hauntless
8,343 Posts
I didn't ask the question about if the donations were for a charity or not. The best thing is to ask your insurance agent. He also mentioned that no homemade food is to be served either. I thought that was a weird one - but I guess some people give out popcorn and such.

Even though we had confirmation that we were insured - never felt comfortable that if the crap hit the fan, they'd be there for me. Year to year It was always a stress but glad that we never had an incident in the 6 years we haunted at the house. Whew!

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Popcorn is THE major reason most people go to a Dentist's office. (Second to Homemade Taffy like an EX used to make? She sent 3-4? people to the Dentist in one afternoon)
Our JC Haunt asked our insurance carrier "Do you think we might need even more insurance?"
He kept saying "YES!" every time they asked him this, and they asked him that question every year for 6? years. In the end I said that if we needed to raise money for the town,that We should insure HIM and let him build and run the haunt!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts