Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Headless Hessian
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I had an idea to add a few of the craft feathers to the Bonez Bird static prop before he goes into my birdcage. I was hoping that the feathers would give him a more "real" appearance. I was thinking of just adding a few to the wings - I am not looking to cover him up entirely.

Before I did this, I wanted to get the opinions of folks here and also see if anyone has done this already. Lastly, does anyone have any idea what type of bird he is supposed to be? Would I use yellow feathers to make him like a Tweety bird, black feathers to make him more like a crow/raven?

Anyway, thanks in advance for reading and any opinions are greatly appreciated. Here is a pic of the bird I'm talking about in case you aren't aware or can't think of what he looks like.

boney bird.jpg

·
Registered
349 Posts
I also vote for crow/raven. What if you did a little bit of black feathers on the wings and then a tiny bit of the black tuft part of the feather on his head?
Then you could place a pile of feathers around him like he's been molting away in his cage for awhile.

boney bird.jpg

·
Registered
436 Posts
I have to say I think he wing bones look absolutely ridiculous. Bones are not that big on a bird. I mean how would they fly with bones that heavy??? The entire anatomy of this bird is comical. Who made this skeleton?? It is completely inaccurate for a bird.

Anyway....I would say the head looks like a bird of prey or an owl???

·
Registered
349 Posts
I have to say I think he wing bones look absolutely ridiculous. Bones are not that big on a bird. I mean how would they fly with bones that heavy??? The entire anatomy of this bird is comical. Who made this skeleton?? It is completely inaccurate for a bird.

Anyway....I would say the head looks like a bird of prey or an owl???
Why was this response even necessary? The OP didn't ask wether you agreed with their purchase or wether or not you personally liked their purchase. If they were asking wether or not they should actually buy the prop, then I can see giving your opinion of it's authenticity or appearance. However, when it is apparent that the OP has already purchased the item...why disparage it? Why make someone feel bad about something they bought to enjoy?
I see this happening more & more on the forum. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but knowing when to express is the important part.

I actually think the bird is cute and a fun Halloween prop. If I wanted something perfectly anatomically correct, I would buy it from somewhere besides CVS.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm considering putting a pulsing red LED into the torso of mine as a beating heart.

The tag on the Target version of this says "crow skeleton". Then again, their online store and their tags can't seem to agree on whether they sell a cat or dog skeleton.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Why was this response even necessary? The OP didn't ask wether you agreed with their purchase or wether or not you personally liked their purchase. If they were asking wether or not they should actually buy the prop, then I can see giving your opinion of it's authenticity or appearance. However, when it is apparent that the OP has already purchased the item...why disparage it? Why make someone feel bad about something they bought to enjoy?
I see this happening more & more on the forum. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but knowing when to express is the important part.

I actually think the bird is cute and a fun Halloween prop. If I wanted something perfectly anatomically correct, I would buy
somewhere besides CVS.
WHY WAS THIS POST NECESSARY??? My post was necessary because frogkid11 asked for opinions and wants to make it look more "real". He also states that "any opinions are greatly appreciated". My post wasn't ment to be disparaging like your post. I was simply building on other post that already made mention about the bones. I never said I disagreed with their purchase. You make a big assumption about my post that is not true. I never said I agreed or disagreed with their purchase. And I never mentioned whether I liked or disliked the bird. I actually like the bird, I just don't think it looks anatomically correct and I would change it if I owned it. I merely pointed out that it is not anatomically correct and I think part of it looks ridiculous. His post specifically says he wants it to look more "real". In my opinion, and as you point out "Everyone is entitled to their opinion" I don't think it looks real with those bones. You need to follow your own advise and not make post that try to make people feel bad. How is your post any different in that aspect?? My post was NEVER intended to try and make them feel bad about their purchase. But your post clearly is trying to make me feel bad for expressing my opinion. Those that live in glass house should not throw rocks. I do not go around and try to make members feel bad about their props. This forum is not here for you to sit on you pedestal and try to assign shame to those who express their opinion. I have been a member on this forum for almost five years and I have never tried to make someone feel bad about their props or attacked someone for a post they made. I will however give my honest opinions when someone ask for it.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
There are combined features from various bird families (and fantasy bird features) but I think overall I'd say a Corvid -- heavy-beaked crow or dwarfed raven. That's where I'll be going with mine, anyway. Transform yours into whatever fits your scene best!
I'm planning to put just a few primary flight feathers (albeit black chicken feathers) on mine's wings, too. StacyN has an excellent idea with painting the "feather bones" dark. That makes them look more like the rachises of tattered feathers. I'll probably steal that idea (thanks, StacyN).

Granted, they're not anatomically correct...nor are the dog and cat skeletons with "ear bones", but I like them, and I think they'll convey just the feel I want for where I intend to put mine.

·
Registered
388 Posts
i just bought one a few days ago. I am going to try to animate the wings and possibly the beak. It wont be done for this year though. Please post pics of what you do to it.....for future reference.

·
Soccer and Lacrosse Dad
1,766 Posts
I think the animals are fun and I like Stacyn's idea of a tuft of feathers on the head, wings and spread around the bird skeleton. I for one wouldn't worry about the anatomical correctness of the animal skeleton's. They help identify the animal skeleton in a fun way.
How many people on the Halloween forum have purchased the pose'N'stay skeleton with it's glaring mistake???? Lot's me included, and yes the mistake drives me crazy.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
How many people on the Halloween forum have purchased the pose'N'stay skeleton with it's glaring mistake???? Lot's me included, and yes the mistake drives me crazy.
Ok, I'm curious, which is the glaring mistake? Number of ribs? Reversed tibia and fibula? Number of vertebrae? Scapulae inside the rib cage? Clavicles attached to ribs? Messed up pelvic bones? Something else? Not that I really notice such errors ;)

I do like the keel-less bird, though, and I have 2 dog and one cat skeleton, ears and all :)
Yellow Tweety looks great!

·
Headless Hessian
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
PIB - I really like your feathers - I think it makes him look a little more spooky (especially when I think of him inside of a cage) than simply as the skeleton. Thanks for sharing.

I'm hoping to pick out some feathers for mine today.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I love this little guy. I snagged him on target.com today. I am a bit worried, though, because my bone cat from target.com came broken into 5 pieces.

I have a cage waiting for mine.

The poster above who is going to put a red LED in him for a heart? I'd love to see that!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts