Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to scratch my plans to build an entrance pediment using my existing columns because the entrance would have just looked too squat, just not the look I was going for. So I was looking around the garage trying to figure out if there was something I could still add to the columns that wouldn't cost me anything (aside from time of course). I thought I had a good idea to make some pedestal bases and place them atop the columns with a couple gargoyles I picked up from Lowe's that were on clearance a while back. Ever since I created the bases and placed them atop the columns with the gargoyles I've just been undecided whether they look awkward or not. It is a little hard to tell but the gargoyles are grinning and are sort of cute'ish I suppose. I'm sort of leaning towards leaving them off ... do you think they look too comical?

The columns still need be leveled, staked, and have some distressed paint applied to them. Maybe it is the pedestals? I'm just not sure?

Above is a photo without the toppers which I'm a little more partial too ... suggestions would be great, thanks.

·
sasquatch
3,076 Posts
If you still think something needs to be on top try a round styrofoam ball from Micheals, faux paint it like stone and glue that up there. The gargoyals are too comical.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I like the gargoyles just fine.

If you can find a matching pair of table lamps from a junk store, or garage sale, those glass globes can make impressive toppers too. Usually they are painted/flasked but that will wash right off and leave a clear glass globe. Some of them are very large. And the lamps are usually dirt cheap. Plus sometimes they have brass bases. Which someday I will find a good use for...

I am using two ball ones for toppers on the poles into my graveyard scene enterance. I haven't decided whether to paint them black or try to light them with those press down round lights for closets yet.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I like them on top personally. The grins could just be a sign of hiding their own sinister secrets ;). Or not... lol.

·
Registered
14,541 Posts
I'm with HauntedDiva on this one. I like them sitting up there looking down "like you have no idea what's going to happen to you once you enter these gates". If you are going to do anything to the gargoyles, maybe add some horns on top of them and or a tail. Or paint the eyes with GID paint and mount a small black light to get them glowing. I really do like them up there a lot. I think the columns look unfinished as your eye gets carried upwards and sort of expects something. Nice job so far on the yard.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for your advice.

As was mentioned by Ghost of Spookie and HauntedDiva, that is what I sort of thought. The gargoyles look a bit playful but I thought their grins could pass as sinister'ish. But after looking over the pictures and my setup I think I'm going to skip the gargoyles this year (that is if I can get my wife to agree to let me take them down). I like them but I'm just not totally satisfied with their look. I'm thinking I should have made the pedestals wider and taller that way I could have moved the skull up from the bottom to the top and would have it ready to be used with an arch pediment next year. Oh well, live and learn.

Thanks again all.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I like the gargoyles for the extra pedestal they sit on. They don't look too cutsy to me and besides, it will be dark when most people see them. The dark changes everything......

·
Crawling in my skin
2,236 Posts
I vote to keep the gargoyles on top. I think they finish the collumns off nicely. It just might be that you still have to apply the distressed paint that will make a difference to you. If you decide to not use them I think you would still need something ontop of them to finish the look.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,649 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
I agree with Nevergoback saying the dark changes everything. Maybe some uplighting to cast shadows on their faces would help too...like when people use the flashlight while telling ghost stories,or maybe paint their eyes red to give them a more sinister look. With a little help I think they will have the look you're wanting. Great job by the way!!

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
The gargoyles look good up there. I do think something needs to be on the top. I would say leave the gargoyles on for this year, and then if you find something you like better you can replace them for next year.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I say keep them as well. But in the rare chance you choose not to, I've been looking for a pair to top my columns off with. ;)

Been looking but everything is too small, or too pricey. And I need something as I have light shining up from inside the column to illuminate whatever I do eventually top them with.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I think the gargoyles complete the columns. They are something the smaller trick-or-treaters expect to see when they look up. From a grown-up's point of view I could understand why some folks might think the gargoyles combined with the skulls make the columns look a bit 'busy' but I think the kiddos would be a bit non-plussed to look up and see nothing on top.

My 2¢ :).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts