Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone seen The Village? Remember those things in the red cloaks? Yeah, that's what I'm planning to be for Halloween (and also my local convention that just happens to be on Halloween weekend.) I've just started buying the components and planning it out, and I'm hoping to post regular updates here once I start.
I am having trouble with one part of the costume though. The legs, I thought at first, were just scraps of fur. But then I found this reference picture:
Outerwear Headgear Costume Fictional character Plant

Clearly that's not what I thought it was, and now I'm a bit stumped as to what to make them out of. I know I'd like to build them over a pair of jeans so I can have pockets, but I'm not sure how to get that texture you see in the photo. Does anyone have any ideas? Help would be much appreciated, I'm hoping to start on this as soon as possible.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I looked into latex, but everything I read said it would make fabric very stiff, and since I'm going to be wearing it to a con that's a no-go. After zooming in some more on the picture I think I'm going to try a mix of muslin and cheesecloth strips dyed brown. Maybe I'll roll in some dirt after just as a plus.
I was going to use some needlepunch that I have lying around to add shape before I add the fabric, but dryer lint might work really well! We've got a garbage can full of it downstairs (plus now I'll have a reason to get around to doing laundry.) I don't have a dog but I do have three cats, and now that you mention it, letting them walk all over my work for once might be a good thing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just found a couple more pictures from an online auction of some of the movies props and stuff from way back. I'm sure it's all long gone now, but I saved the photos of the production binder that seem to show the making of the costume. Paper
This one has them making a fur and spike piece that pokes out the back of the robe... I was just planning on sewing those right to the hood but their way seems more secure... guess I'm making a fur backpack!
Material property Paper Room Picture frame Graphic design

Recipe Dish Cuisine Paper Food

Photography Room Paper Art

Hoping I can get some more info out of those once I zoom in. UnOrthodOx, since you're also planning on doing this one someday I thought I'd share :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hello thumpingmoonlight! I was wondering as you said perhaps staining some cheesecloth in strips or varied sizes/shapes and applying it somehow to a spandex suit? (Maybe size larger to fit over your clothing underneath) While perhaps using some sort of glue (E6000 or other) if it will work with clothing materials to ensure the cheesecloth stays on (E6000 dries clear). Good costume idea and hope it goes as well as you want it.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have nothing to add to help you along other than the fact that I really admire your ambition on such a unique project. It's really cool to see someone tackle something different. I really like this! Good luck...I'll be rooting for you from the sidelines!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's been a while but I finally started working on this! I got a cheap cotton fabric for the legs, almost like cheesecloth, and dyed it brown. The first time I did it it turned out a kind of country orange so I had to try again today with a darker colour, but it looks good now. I've been using worbla for a lot of the other stuff - for anyone not familiar with it, it's a thermoplastic that comes in a sheet, and when you heat it up it becomes malleable. So far I've made the claws that will attach to my gloves, and the base of the chest piece with the ribs that I can wear under the robe.
Red Maroon Triangle Pattern Carmine

Green Fictional character

Skin Hand Arm Finger Muscle

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, unfortunately. The sample size alone is still about $25. I got the large size which is 29" by 39" and it was over $60. But you can apparently mould your scraps together and reuse them, so it does at least go pretty far.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
One thing you might want to try is look up the names of the effects guys and see if they are on Facebook. If they are, send them a message and ask them what they used to make the costume and what suggestions they have. They may also have better pics to send you. I did this with the guy who did the effects work for Dog Soldiers and got a lot of great info.

·
Somewhat Eccentric
2,390 Posts
I was going to suggest paper mache and Viva or shop towels until I read that you were planning on wearing it. Love the claws and looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Dryer lint,dryer sheets, frazzled. Delve into a personal collection of the prime dog hair.?
(I know. Most people just throw that sort of stuff away)
Oh Gym, I've finally found someone who understands just how valuable dryer lint and dryer sheets are! :D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.