Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Okay, so it's 1:30 in the morning, and I have to get up for work at 6:30 am, and OF COURSE I can't sleep.

SO I start thinking about what the theme should be for this year's party IF we decided to have it (leaning towards "hell, yeah!" but might change depending on the amount of props I end up getting on my to do list and how the year plays out).

A funeral. A funeral where there is a coffin, a victim that died under mysterious circumstances, and clue/red herrings scattered throughout the house for the guests to read and decide on if they ARE a clue or red herring. With 6-8 "suspects" and cute little ballots that they can pick up to track their clues.

A coroner's report in the bathroom. An angry letter from the brother. A few background dossiers on each suspect... all left in different areas, so no gaurantees that the guests will actually SEE every clue... and be able to solve the crime.

The coffin will be a closed casket (we already have a toe pincher that is full sized) set up on the back porch, to be opened by the "winner" to claim their prize (and get shocked by Mr. dead guy as well).

It won't be a mandatory participation game - just something that if they feel up to it, they can wander around and look for clues and then we'll hold the funeral (check the ballots and fill in the blanks before announcing the winner) after a few hours.

The invites will be an OBITUARY. :D Details of the deceased's death, survivors (suspects) and time/place of the funeral neatly set out in newsprint (or something similar, haven't gotten THAT far). The house will be decorated like a funeral parlor and I'll have to work on names, since I do so love my puns. :rolleyes:

No idea what the hubby and my costumes will be. He usually doesn't follow any theme, but I'm leaning towards funeral director, but feel like that's too boring so I might just do whatever non-themed I feel like.

This is going to be fun to figure out! Please let me know if you have ANY suggestions - decor, invites, murder mystery....

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Hi Frankie's Girl. Your Party theme sounds delightful!:) I'll have to give it some thought when it's not right before I'm heading off to bed,lol, but here's a few things that come to mind.

What about a sign in Table for the guests. And perhaps next to it you could have a picture collage of the suspects with the first hidden tips in it, most would never think their first clues would be posted so early in the game.

For music may I suggest Nox Arcana, they're pure gothic Royalty music and would fit perfectly into such an occation.

For Decor, if you know anyone who could park a hearse in your driveway that would be wicked. Don't forget plenty of gothic style crosses and Black and blood red roses, plenty of Candelabra's with lightly scented Black candles & Mourning angel orniments, always easy to find in spring and summer at garden centres. And perhaps some gnarly branches creating an arch over the entrance way.

And you could always dress in a gorgeous sinister mourning gown complete with veil "black" of course. You could be the Sinister Funeral Director.

Anyways, I'll give it far more thought, should head off to bed. Oh and be sure to ask FeelNecro & TC I'm sure they'd have some wicked ideas for you, seeing how they both know the business from the ground up :)

Best wishes on it:)

·
Registered
594 Posts
What a great idea.... thats one of those that just sticks in your head, and ideas flow at the strangest times... at work, its lunch time, and you are crowded around the communal microwave, and suddenly you holler out, "you could make a reading of the will turn into cute little door prizes for the guests!" then suddenly, you realize all your co-workers step away slowly from you, and hide all the knives in the drawer...

·
Registered
54 Posts
What a great idea!!! You'll need an embalming room (or table, at least), and a crematorium as well. Black roses *everywhere*...and I love Dixie's idea of a "will" for door prizes.

Maybe a video "will" of someone in costume bequeathing his/her belongings...the same costume that will be on the dead guy in the coffin, of course...

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You guys are so funny!

Dear, darlingest hubby just sort of grunted at me when I nudged him and said "What about a FUNERAL????" (well, I guess since it was the wee hours of the morning and he was SLEEPING and it's MARCH might have something to do with his lack of enthusiasm) :eek:

He's going to hate that I have to get all new different decorations to make a funeral home in the main room. :rolleyes:

I'm loving the ideas - keep 'em coming. :cool:

I've got so much time to really do this up big, so I may just have to see about renting stuff like a hearse, etc....

(and I'm a graphic designer professionally, so this is going to be wicked fun to design the invites and clue stuff. Last year's party was a haunted "Open House" with me as a Surreal Estate agent. The invites had door keys attached, and one of them opened a locked door containing the previous owner. The open house flyer invite is floating around here somewhere... I love weird themes! :D )

·
Shadow box dancer
1,394 Posts
(and I'm a graphic designer professionally, so this is going to be wicked fun to design the invites and clue stuff. Last year's party was a haunted "Open House" with me as a Surreal Estate agent. The invites had door keys attached, and one of them opened a locked door containing the previous owner. The open house flyer invite is floating around here somewhere... I love weird themes! :D )[/QUOTE]

Surreal Estate agent!!! Awesome, hilariously awesome.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Wow! All those are great ideas. JamieMT pointed out an embalming room. You could have a different body on the table being prepared for the next funeral. That give me another idea, though, it probably works better if you were doing a mortuary versus a funeral. Anyway, serve drinks from some sort of container that's clearly marked embalming fluid. I'm not quite sure exactly what sort of container you should use though.

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
What a great idea.... thats one of those that just sticks in your head, and ideas flow at the strangest times... at work, its lunch time, and you are crowded around the communal microwave, and suddenly you holler out, "you could make a reading of the will turn into cute little door prizes for the guests!" then suddenly, you realize all your co-workers step away slowly from you, and hide all the knives in the drawer...
Haha that it too funny dixie!

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
OMG Frankie's Girl, I was thinking along those same lines as a theme.
Last year when we made the organ and organist, we had to choose between a wedding, funeral or theater. We ended up going with the theater. But in order to get the most mileage out of the organist, we thought we'd do one of the other two this year.

Considering all the ideas given already, the funeral theme is looking better and better lol

MsM

·
Registered
490 Posts
As always Frankie - it sound like you've come up with another great theme! What fun and creepy way to bring a murder mystery into your party. Can't wait to see how it comes together. I borrowed your Surreal Estate theme and it was fabulous!

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OMG Frankie's Girl, I was thinking along those same lines as a theme.
Last year when we made the organ and organist, we had to choose between a wedding, funeral or theater. We ended up going with the theater. But in order to get the most mileage out of the organist, we thought we'd do one of the other two this year.

Considering all the ideas given already, the funeral theme is looking better and better lol

MsM
Oh that is so awesome! I LOVED your organ and organist, and I remember thinking of your project when I was trying to think of ideas for a funeral and wondering if I had the chops to build something similar...

I know you'll come up with some spectacular ideas if you decide to do a funeral theme! :cool:

As always Frankie - it sound like you've come up with another great theme! What fun and creepy way to bring a murder mystery into your party. Can't wait to see how it comes together. I borrowed your Surreal Estate theme and it was fabulous!
Awww, thanks! I hope a few others do this general theme so we can all borrow and share for our parties. I remember your Surreal Estate party turned out pretty good! :D

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Floral sprays on those stands with little cards of who sent them. Out here, nothing says funeral like Gladiolus. If you make artificial arrangements then get some obnoxiously cloying scented room freshener or plug ins to put near them. You could have memorial cards at the sign in table maybe explaining how the game works or with some other pertinent details. Your husband could dress as a probate attorney...that's just evil anyway! (No offense to female attorneys--they would be just as evil.) Have coffee and maybe sweets in a separate room, where the "family" takes a break.

How about a freshly dug open grave outside (simulated, of course) awaiting its newest inhabitant.

·
Hauntingly Addicting
6,068 Posts
Oh I just love this idea, I cant wait to hear more. I totally love the idea of clues to view if you want to figure out who did it??? You could have a great prize for the first person who figures it out as well.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
more stuff I thought of...

I've been thinking about this theme more, and here is what else I came up with:

Tentative Cast of Characters:

Victim: Mortimer Widows

Mary Black-Widows: Morty was her third husband, all of the previous of which met with untimely deaths)

Vincent Widows:
ne'er-do-well brother of the deceased.

Boris Deeth:
law partner of the victim, with apparently shady dealings that were running their business onto the wrong side of the law. How convienient for Morty to kick off just in time to take the blame.

Penny Dreadful:
Niece of the deceased. She holds her uncle responsible for the death of her mother in a driving accident.

Delilah Fatale:
Mistress of the victim. The wife of prominent judge. Apparently being blackmailed by the victim to keep the secret of her checkered criminal past from her husband.

Abraham "Bram" Fatale:
Golf partner and social aquaintance of the deceased. Prim and proper judge with a real moralistic bent. Would be enraged at discovering the manipulation and blackmail as much as his wife's past - and the damage they could do to his reputation.

We're still figuring out how it was done and by who - but it's going to be interesting to see what mystery plots we can borrow from. I'm an Ngaio Marsh/Agatha Christie/Sherlock Holmes junkie, and have read all or almost all of all three of their books. Don't want to make it too obvious or "the least likely person" as that would be too easy.

The winners of both the murder mystery and the costume contest winners will get their prizes inside coffins. I think it would be pretty easy to put together small coffins out of balsa or some other lightweight wood and stain them and attach hinges so they are working little boxes. Lots of goodies would fit inside a 1 foot long toepincher.

I'm going to start hitting the resale and thrift shops to find urns/vases and candleabras for decor. I think closer to time, I'll price some real flower funeral wreaths at local florists to give an authentic odor and look.

:D

1 - 20 of 47 Posts