Halloween Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else not digging this new forum? Just wondering as I did not know until this month the original forum had been taken over... This one feel a little corporate...

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,801 Posts
The former owner, Larry ran into some personal issues that meant he was no longer able to run/maintain the site. He sold it to Vertical Scope 3 years ago. We had been running on a very old version of software platform, on servers that couldn't quite keep up with the immense library of images/info/visitors so they made a decision to upgrade us to a new software and servers about 2 months ago.

While any change to things we are used to is at best jarring, and worst disruptive... but looking at the silver lining here: the site being owned by a corporation instead of an individual means that it is highly unlikely this site will EVER disappear like so many well known/loved sites. To use a "for instance" situation... when the owner of Haunt Project died suddenly, his family had no interest in maintaining his labor of love. Some in the haunt community attempted to help out, but as Perfesser Evil's family members just didn't have the time, money or patience to deal with even the transfer of the site/contents... it died suddenly and now only exists in fragments on the WayBackMachine Archives. Broken links, a shell of it's former glory. He deserved better, but such is life.. and death.

And that is what all sites owned by individuals will have to face at some point.

Lose the individual touches in favor of stability, growth, and longevity.

We either adapt or die.

Sure, most all of our long-time members miss things about the old site. There are things that broke and haven't been fixed yet, and may not be possible to fix. But we also run MUCH better now even with tons of visitors. Posting things like images are much easier, and there are some cool new features we haven't even begun to play with here. Gotta take the bad with the good sometimes.

And the thing that made Halloween Forum truly great - it's community - is still here. We're still alive and kicking and as long as there are individuals here to create, share, offer help and criticism and ideas and encouragement... Halloween Forum is alive and well.

We're all about using the weird and playing dress up and creating bizarre new looks and fun props - so why not consider this newest adaptation of a fabulous facade that is Halloween Forum. We're still the same great site we were before if you peel back the mask. ;)

·
Registered
397 Posts
Anyone else not digging this new forum? Just wondering as I did not know until this month the original forum had been taken over... This one feel a little corporate...
Minus some hiccups (Terra's blog issue, Halloween Countdown, PUMPKIN EMOJIS!!!!), this new forum software is leaps and bounds ahead of the old vBulletin software, even if the look and feel is a bit mundane. If you stay around, look at an ad blocker like uBlock or something similar.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, the ads are really persistent and annoying. One of the last posts I was reading through had one ad every 3 or four entries. Awful. However, I've been on this forum for several years and do understand change. If it's been 3 years guess that means I haven't been paying attention. I have found the dark mode switch so at least the environment feels right for this kind of content. I can adapt to most any change... and a digital change really isn't hard to adapt to. Community and content is what's really important...

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,438 Posts
I never see ads.

Adblockers are your friend:

Pick one, any one, & you'll never see another ad again anywhere.

My only complaint is that you don't get a full forum listing when you come here & if there's a way to be notified of new messages I haven't found it yet. Yeah, there's a little red dot on my icon up there in the right hand corner that notifies you of stuff, but that also gives you "alerts" which is kinda silly since it notifies you of EVERY SINGLE THING in response to any post you've ever made.

So I tend to ignore it which also means I don't see when I have a "conversation" which is what PMs are called now.

At last check I had 114 "Alerts" which are just things like "so&so reacted to your post in..." or "so&so liked your comment in ...". I don't need to be notified of every single thing in relation to what I post.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I never see ads.

Adblockers are your friend:

Pick one, any one, & you'll never see another ad again anywhere.

My only complaint is that you don't get a full forum listing when you come here & if there's a way to be notified of new messages I haven't found it yet. Yeah, there's a little red dot on my icon up there in the right hand corner that notifies you of stuff, but that also gives you "alerts" which is kinda silly since it notifies you of EVERY SINGLE THING in response to any post you've ever made.

So I tend to ignore it which also means I don't see when I have a "conversation" which is what PMs are called now.

At last check I had 114 "Alerts" which are just things like "so&so reacted to your post in..." or "so&so liked your comment in ...". I don't need to be notified of every single thing in relation to what I post.
You can change what alerts you receive at https://www.halloweenforum.com/account/preferences. Although I think there are only 4 post related items.

• Replies to a watched thread
  • Quotes your message
  • Mentions you in a message
  • Reacts to your message

·
Celtic Spirit
2,100 Posts
And the thing that made Halloween Forum truly great - it's community - is still here. We're still alive and kicking and as long as there are individuals here to create, share, offer help and criticism and ideas and encouragement... Halloween Forum is alive and well.
I totally agree with Frankie's Girl here. The forum is what we make of it. Larry set the standard but it is our responsibility as members to keep the forum active and great. It's still our community guys. Yes, there are things I'm not happy about and yes, we lost some great members (for a variety of reasons) when we went corporate and I wholeheartedly miss them and the old forum but I'm trying to make a concentrated effort to post.

There are threads all over the forum now that a fellow member has started with zero replies. That would never of happened in the old days. The Secret Reaper hasn't even hit a hundred victims yet this year. The "Party" section, which used to be my favorite stomping grounds, is now like a dead zone. But maybe it's just a little early for that section to get hopping. There's a lot of new members joining the forum these days with more to come in the coming months. Let us old timers show them how it's done so they can follow in our footsteps and ensure a fantastic future for HF.

Don't just lurk and click the like button. Post a response, comment on a photo, start a thread, post pictures, share your creativity, talent and ideas to inspire others. We are the forum!

[Tanna sheepishly climbing down from her soapbox]

·
Registered
555 Posts
Once I figured out how to change the background color to black and figured out the navigation, I honestly have not noticed any difference in the forum. I do use an ad blocker

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,801 Posts
Is there a dark color scheme version of the forums to choose?
Absolutely! Wouldn't be Halloween Forum without it.... :D

When you log in, look for the three little dots next to your avatar up on the top right. Click on the dots, and you'll see a few options for jumping to different site stuff like Forum Listing/Popular/Showcase/Gallery/Advance Search and all the way at the bottom: DARK MODE. Click and bask in cool glow of darkness. :)

If you're in dark mode already, it will show LIGHT MODE. It will remember what you've chose too, so every time you log in, it will automatically be your chosen mode.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I don't care for Corporate anything but Frankie's Girl is absolutely correct with regards to this site. I’ve been around long enough to see some really great Halloween sites just vanish into thin air (Season of Shadows, Garage of Evil).

·
Evil Wizard
2,165 Posts
Absolutely! Wouldn't be Halloween Forum without it.... :D

When you log in, look for the three little dots next to your avatar up on the top right. Click on the dots, and you'll see a few options for jumping to different site stuff like Forum Listing/Popular/Showcase/Gallery/Advance Search and all the way at the bottom: DARK MODE. Click and bask in cool glow of darkness. :)

If you're in dark mode already, it will show LIGHT MODE. It will remember what you've chose too, so every time you log in, it will automatically be your chosen mode.
Many thanks. Hadn’t realized that there was a Dark Mode. So much better now.

·
Registered
203 Posts
stumbled here looking for a solution to this site constantly redirecting me to crap scams etc....
redirects to -- go go rangers.com... and fastdirect.com and Flashplayer update scam etc....
It is not my computer. - but this web site has allowed scams ads to infiltrate it!
I am almost ready to cut my association with this web site as it is just about making the experience USELESS !!!
THE OWNERS NEED TO LOOK INTO THIS OR THIS WEBSITE IS HISTORY !!!!!!!!!!
I have been getting similar crap from Kijiji lately as they have gone down hill too!
You know the stuff.... you have been selected for 2 free spins of wheel of fortune...
or you have been selected to win a free phone...
My solution is to just move away from these crappy web sites.

·
Registered
397 Posts
stumbled here looking for a solution to this site constantly redirecting me to crap scams etc....
redirects to -- go go rangers.com... and fastdirect.com and Flashplayer update scam etc....
It is not my computer. - but this web site has allowed scams ads to infiltrate it!
I am almost ready to cut my association with this web site as it is just about making the experience USELESS !!!
THE OWNERS NEED TO LOOK INTO THIS OR THIS WEBSITE IS HISTORY !!!!!!!!!!
I have been getting similar crap from Kijiji lately as they have gone down hill too!
You know the stuff.... you have been selected for 2 free spins of wheel of fortune...
or you have been selected to win a free phone...
My solution is to just move away from these crappy web sites.
Install an adblocker.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Install an adblocker.
well I did follow your advice.... seems good so far! Thanks.!

I am still thinking that the web site owner is Not doing his job.
The site can't generate revenue if all the users block the ads!
Sites that don't generate revenue don't last long...? or do they?

·
Registered
203 Posts
page with many people having pop up re direct
Glad this is not just me.....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts