Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why would someone go thru all the effort of decorations for halloween creating a cemetery and house decorations and than close the gates and keep the lights on so that you can see the display but no treats for the trick or treaters. One of the neighbors did this further down the street and it had me puzzled. Second to that was a house closer to ours that kept on the front lights on with a pumpkin outside and they wouldn't answer the door to give treats nothing worse than seeing a kid put there head down in sadness. But they were happy again once they made it to our kid friendly house with the decorations.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Ebola.
:)

Maybe they weren't home or maybe they were ill? A friend of ours spent the weekend at the hospital with their mom ... Never know what's going on in someone's life...
Great point!!! And one that made me go DUUUHHH for not even considering that when I read the topic post! LOLOL It's Monday after Halloween though... so, I'm excused. :D

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
Stage fright?

Sounds strange, do all that work, then basically shut down. Who knows? Hey, are they Jehovah's Witnesses?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No they were home all the cars in the yard and you could see into the house and they were watching tv with guests

·
Registered
38 Posts
"Marge, did you buy the candy?"
"No Ed, I thought YOU did."
"Well, CRAP! those trick-or-treat kids will just have to enjoy the display then! Let's watch TV."

Maybe a simple shopping disconnect!

·
Registered
62 Posts
That is indeed odd. My daughter went to one house with the porch lights on and a sign reading "sorry, we don't celebrate Halloween". Couldn't they just turn the porch lights off like every other non-participant has done the last 40+ years I can remember? Did they REALLY need a passive aggressive sign? This year has been really weird.

·
Registered
441 Posts
My mother did something similar on Halloween. Decorated everything for the month of October because she loves to look at the decorations. On Halloween she left the lights on until a little bit after dusk and gave out candy to a few ToTers. Then she turned the lights off, pulled down the shades, and read a book for the rest of the night. My father recently passed away so my mother was concerned about being home alone & having older ToTers create problems as they got rowdier (and possibly drunk) after dark. However, she did turn off her lights at 5:15 PM. I'm sure a few people were confused about why a highly decorated home wasn't lit up and giving out candy.

I'd assume most people who decorate but don't give out candy are elderly and scared of having problems with strangers (stolen candy, egging, flat out robbery), they're sick, they ran out of candy, or they're having a party and not paying attention to handing out candy.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I had a funny situation two years ago. I had the full haunt set up complete with lightning and fog and one little boy was standing in the street disagreeing with his mother. He said they should not go to that house because it did not have a jack-0-latern out front. The rule was if the house did not have a jack-0-latern you were not supposed to trick or treat there. His mother assured him that in this case she thought it was alright. I added a jack-0-latern the next year just to be safe.

Reactions: StanFam3

·
Registered
35 Posts
I know in my case, I put the decorations up at the beginning of October and had the lights on every night of the month to advertise that this is a Halloween house. A couple days before Halloween I was invited to a friend's house to watch movies and hand out treats. Dilemma... stay at home by myself and hope I get customers, or go hang out with friends? I chose to stay home so as to not disappoint the little buggers. Plus all that work I put into decorating and not enjoy it on the big day? Good thing too, got a lot of customers and a few people who just wanted to take pictures of the lights.

Reactions: StanFam3

·
lies dead but dreaming
952 Posts
Hmm Not that I know anything but I would offer a possibility. I decorate for Christmas with no expectation of Carolers or Wassail (Though I would do what I could if they suddenly showed up) perhaps these folks just like decorating like many do in December?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts