Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We need to becareful when buying props ad decorations, because some sites are inflating their prices.

Exempl...

Things You Never Knew Existed $19.99 Frigt Catalog $ 99.00

Walmart $ 89.99 ...Spirit halloween $ 149.00

This one Hoooooooooo

Walmart 129.00 SPIRIT HALLOWEEN $ 224.00 ( Plus TAX and Ship ) Dammmmm

·
Registered
219 Posts

Animated Hex

Spirit Halloween $ 149.99
Fright Catalog $ 99.99
Haunteg Fog $ 79.99

OMG just went on Walgreens website they want $129.99 for Hex this year, says "online exclusive"...I got him in the store last year for like $60-$70. Wow inflation!:rolleyes: The inconsistency of pricing on Halloween props & stuff is REDICULOUS!!

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
Yep, it always helps to check prices! Perhaps you should change the name of this thread to rip offs and everyone can post the lowest prices they find.

MsM

·
Registered
13,904 Posts
I don't think that the quality is always the same however and while a prop might look like it's the same it's not. Some times I've seen a prop with two different feature sets; for example since you posted about Hex, I know there's an animated version and one not so much, that may account for the pricing difference in the stores mentioned. Some props talk for example and in others there's no voice or sound. I think there's also a difference in materials. There have been lots of Gemmy mummies out there but some have green lit up eyes and some a different color; and some of them said different things. I was on Gemmy's site last year and saw a few variations of the same prop and different vendors carried different models. Walmart sold one version and Target another for example. I'm sure Walmart isn't paying for a prop with the highest material quality to provide it to you at the cost they charge. I suspect some mechanical props last longer than other versions. When I was in Walmart last year I noticed that the quality of the skin on some of the props wasn't the same as those in Spirit. The spirit balls they carried were also another example of a noticed difference. If you put up Halloween one night a year and plan on using a prop for a couple of years, then you might be happy with a less expensive prop or decoration. However if you are someone who runs a haunt for several weeks and needs a prop that will hold up through several seasons of heavy use, then the cheaper version might not last you and need repair or replacement. In this economy with so many businesses folding, sometimes the inventory does get picked up and resold at a big discount. However I do kind of think you tend to get what you pay for.

I was in Home Goods yesterday and they had these silver bone pillar candle holders (posted about under Halloween sightings/General Halloween). Very similar to the ones that Pottery Barn had last year. I had a picture from PB's catalog of them and compared them to the one I bought and I could tell they weren't the same. Last year I fell in love with these vintage canvas Halloween print advertisements--ie for Blood Suckers, etc.-- that I think GrandinRoad carried. Saw prints that seemed to be the same at Home Goods that year and bought them. They were similar but not the same when I compared them to the GR catalog picture.

So I just wanted to point out that you probably aren't comparing apples to apples. Also I thought it's interesting to note that a number of sponsors of this forum are getting trashed and unfairly IMO.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey.(.I know there's an animated version and one not so much)

????????????????? My animated Hex Its very very very much animated...
difference in materials..No difference... LATEx .... I work on Spirit Halloween for 2 years... I realy know what I talk about...

unfairly...????????? Very unfairly PRICES.. I have to buy the cheapist too.

????????????? ( getting trashed and unfairly )

Look my friend I post this for help ..Not for trashed OK... Thanks

·
Ghouls Rule
2,589 Posts
I agree, no ones trashing anyone, just pointing out some pricing differences. In some cases what is said to be true on quality and some versions having some differences, whether in their sayings, or whether it is animated or not.

I for one have the non animated Hex and it was almost just as expensive as having the animated one. I prefer him non animated.

I also bought a few of the gemmy fortune telling witches last year and have purchased the cauldron witch from last year. I think they were only sold in spencers or through amazon and these are exactly the same as my walmart witch.

I suspect the materials that build them are quite often the same, and if they are skimming costs anywhere, its usually a cosmetic difference. Such as quality of the clothing, how many phrases, and colors on eyes(or anywhere else). I have read some issues with gemmy props in general and I don't think its a reflection on the merchant who sells the product, its well know you can get some bad apples with gemmy products and just hope your lucky enough to get a good working one. I read how someone had an issue with some spirit balls and how one at one merchant had 3 phrases and what looked identical gemmy spirit ball said 5 phrases from a different merchant.

Unless your the buying agent for these stores its near impossible to know what version your buying. I can only hope that we can work together as we have been on the forum and get our comparisons here, whether it be the differences in quality and or price. Walmart I assume is cheaper because they are a much bigger corporation and can do these kind of prices, this is probably as close to what they paid while gaining only a modest profit. Smaller stores, even ones that specialize in these props, would absolutely need to have the markup to make some profit,they just cant sustain it any other way like walmart can.

Another reason Walmart is so cheap is that alot of vendors pay them just ti have their product in their stores, so its little problem if a product doesn't sell or if its sold cheaply. The way they do business is how they pushed the smaller merchants out of business. If the prices were close enough I would definitely buy from a smaller specialty shop, but if its a huge difference, unfortunaly Im going to have to spend more thrifty at walmart. Sad to say they have the best deal right now with no shipping charges. Spirits site has additional shipping on top of shipping unless Im reading my checkout page wrong when price comparing.

·
I make dead things deader
4,565 Posts
No one should be trashing Spirit, they are in the Halloween business which has a small selling window.Remember that Walmart for an example has all of 30 props online, they buy a ton and can sell them at a lower markup. We expect Spirit to have hundreds of items to satisfy our needs. They need to make a profit as well. HOWEVER if you don't shop around you will not get the best price. I bought my gemmy stirring witch from Lowes last year. $149.00.

·
The Grim Reaper
921 Posts
Yes, in these hard times we need to spend our money wisely. I used to be in the car audio business and wal mart could retail products cheaper than I could get them wholesale for, tis just the nature of being the largest retailer in the world. So, spirit is a great store, I dont think anyone here is trying to bash them, I appreciate them reaching out to us haunters and im sure on products that you cant find elsewhere and are really cool we will support them, but at the same time if a product is the same product and cheaper elsewhere then we will pinch our pennies. So lets all help each other out by posting the best prices. The thing I love about this forum is the lack of bickering, at other sites people are so pety and argumentative, but here we have a great group of like minded people and see very little of that.

·
AntiChrist Superstar
1,418 Posts
This is kinda related, and I am not trashing spirit, I went to the grocery store today, I shopped a sale, I spent 120, I saved 130 dollars. The point is, I know they are still making a profit , so were the off sale prices justified? Oh, Marie Callendar Dinners are on sale at the Giant, better hurry before I buy them all.. was 4 bucks now 2 bucks..woot woot!!

·
Registered
735 Posts
Ok from a wholesale standpoint this is what is going on..... The prices you see are not really inflated and let me explain why. Last year for example the chandelier was at a higher wholesale price so if a vendor bought it for $50 they may have it priced at $89.99. Now this year the wholesaler was trying to dump the stock so they cut the price to $25. The problem is the retail site can't just drop the price to compete as they already paid a higher price for them. In most cases of extreme price differences this is what happens. Granted some sites offer items at higher prices because they are more visible or have a presence. Some of your smaller sites will be cheaper as they have to work harder to get you to their site. I know for a fact this scenario happened for two of the items you listed.

·
Factorial!
949 Posts
That's the problem with specialty shops like this. there are very few of them that it makes them a monopoly and they have a captive audience. I'd like to shop at spirit but soon enough I'd be broke.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I'll throw in 2 cents on this as well... as a Halloween retail website owner, I can tell you of a very specific situation at the Houston Halloween show this year. I was in the Morbid Industries booth looking a a particular prop, which is priced at $75 wholesale. I was told if I bought at least a dozen or so each, they could drop the price to $65. While I was still in the booth another buyer walks up and says "what's the price if I buy 100?" I didn't hear the answer, but I can guarantee it was lower than what they were giving me for a dozen. If you can buy more, they'll drop the price for you. So this can account for a variety of prices out there. I also agree with what Lord Grimley said - this has happened to us before.

·
The Horror of The South
592 Posts
NO This Is SPARTA!!

Sorry could not resist....

I agree, ive seen some things go at some stores and they are twice as much as other places...

You should check around first before you buy...

Ruggerz

·
The Grim Reaper
921 Posts
I was glad I bought Zoltan when I did. The year I first saw him he was 50 bucks at sams club. The next year the only place I saw him was party city and he was like 160.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts