Halloween Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I built this radio controlled spider a couple years back and use it every Halloween. Its not anatomically correct and the legs don't move other than wiggling around a bit when it moves, but in the dark it doesn't matter that much as it still scares the TOTs. It can lift its fangs and shoot out a stream of water, that gets a few more screams. I have even scared a few nighttime joggers off season by backing it into the bushes then coming out at them when they pass by. They know its not real but not right away and not before they let out a yelp and run faster. I wish I had video taped it.

·
Spider Maven
1,468 Posts
OMG!!! That is sooo amazing. Not anatomically correct? pishaw! It's amazing and beautiful and really gives a good scare.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Thats amazing. You might be able to get some cool up and down movement on the legs by adding a lightweight Cam rocker underneath the far end of each leg.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I want one. That is so cool and looks like a lot of fun anytime.

Now I'm thinking, "how could you make one jump"

·
Funeral Crasher
7,435 Posts
Great video, HN ! I'm glad you finally posted that. I remember you showing us pics of your spider at Muffy's house years ago. Fantastic prop!

I'm glad to see you hanging around the forum more lately!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the great comments everyone. I do have a lot of fun with it. I re-watch some of the videos every year as Halloween approaches and I still get a kick out of seeing the reactions and the yells of Spider! Spider! and the kids running away. I even had a dog growl at it and act like he was going to bite it until I moved it and squirted him in the face, he ran away too, at least to the end of his owners leash. LOL

A couple of people mentioned tutorials. I built this a few years ago and it has gone through some revisions since then. I have pictures of construction but not a complete tutorial. I think I have enough to give you a good idea of its construction but you have to use your own imagination as it's a find a part that works as its constructed kind of thing and the parts may not be something you can go out and purchase and have to come up with your own version of that part. I will post what I can in the tutorial section

The legs get some good movement on the non-paved areas.
The legs have heavy gauge wire inside of pool noodles so any movement, especially in the bumpy grass, gets them moving around. Quick turns on the pavement makes them shake good too.

You might be able to get some cool up and down movement on the legs by adding a lightweight Cam rocker underneath the far end of each leg.
I have been working on that very thing. I really really want to do that! Eventually I will get it but there is limited space and I have been trying to find a way to drive the cams. It would probably have to be another motor added in. Another option I have seen some stuff on the boards where someone had an actuator spinning in a circle and when the arm came under the end of a leg it bumped it up and a spring pulled it back down. It will take a redesign of how the legs attach to make that work though since there currently is no pivot point where they attach. And it cant be too noisy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts